Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm aiming for the middle of Oregon. Hope to get off pavement and find a spot right in the center of the path of total eclipse. I'm going to pack the Jeep with a week of food and about 10 gals of water. I want to be there at least 4 days early. Don't want to be stuck in traffic. Think I can do back roads from Seattle up through the Dalles.

Bought some eclipse glasses from Amazon today. It's going to be a real adventure. I'm visualizing a million Winnebago's, and hundreds of Harley club bikers. Then all the new age Cosmos types. It's going to be a big deal!

Are you going? Is it coming by your town? I can't wait!

·
Registered
209 Posts
We're planning to head down to the Bowling green/Nashville area for this one. The one in 2024 will be right over our house

·
Registered
373 Posts
I live in Omaha, NE so it is going to be almost full here :)

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I'm aiming for the middle of Oregon. Hope to get off pavement and find a spot right in the center of the path of total eclipse. I'm going to pack the Jeep with a week of food and about 10 gals of water. I want to be there at least 4 days early. Don't want to be stuck in traffic. Think I can do back roads from Seattle up through the Dalles.

Bought some eclipse glasses from Amazon today. It's going to be a real adventure. I'm visualizing a million Winnebago's, and hundreds of Harley club bikers. Then all the new age Cosmos types. It's going to be a big deal!

Are you going? Is it coming by your town? I can't wait!
I'll be heading to central Oregon from Portland to improve my chances of getting the best view possible. Thinking about the Mitchell area. Or a little to the north.

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
I'll be in Yellowstone, gonna drive to Jackson early that morning and go east or west from there along the line of totality based on the weather...in a rental car, not my Jeep :-(

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I was trying to stir up some interest in the Southeast Forum, but so far no replies. I also posted in a local FB group last night and no replies yet. Looks like I may head to the Gulches in SC running solo.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I looked at Oregon but left it too late to find somewhere to stay, and at that point Motel 6 in Bend got to over $1000 per night.

So I'll be in Big Lake State Park, Missouri, as hotel rooms in Kansas City are $89.

SoCalRubicon: I'd suggest crossing over to Idaho and looking for a fire road up into the mountains to the East of Driggs. Canyon Creek Dr or similar are right in the path, but are going to be popular I'm sure.

This is the best location planner:

USA - 2017 August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I'll be in Yellowstone, gonna drive to Jackson early that morning and go east or west from there along the line of totality based on the weather...in a rental car, not my Jeep :-(
I have family that moved near Gillette, WY and have been trying to plan a date to go visit them and yellowstone. I was going to try for the dates of the eclipse and noticed that it would be best viewed/more totality in the yellowstone region. Still tossing this around and whether I want to drive it (20+ hours) or fly out there. My sister and I would both be going, at the least.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have family that moved near Gillette, WY and have been trying to plan a date to go visit them and yellowstone. I was going to try for the dates of the eclipse and noticed that it would be best viewed/more totality in the yellowstone region. Still tossing this around and whether I want to drive it (20+ hours) or fly out there. My sister and I would both be going, at the least.
That's a great excuse to make the trip! WY might be the best state to go to. I'm kind of worried about the entire west coast converging on Oregon. Might be tough getting gas in rural OR if the entire west coast shows up!

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
I'm kind of worried about the entire west coast converging on Oregon. Might be tough getting gas in rural OR if the entire west coast shows up!
It's already shaping up to be a zoo! I'm heading down on the 17th to meet a boat in Newport and the lodging is all full up now. Fortunately we made some room reservations months ago, but we are still doubling and tripling up while on shore.

We'll be on a boat off the coast during the eclipse so I guess we got that going for us.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wife and I will be doing some dispersed camping in the south east section of Wyoming...

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
384 Posts
I will be heading up to Scottsbluff Nebraska, then taking one of the off roads (either 29 or 71 depending on traffic) north until we reach the zero track of the eclipse, then setting up on one of the cross over dirt roads. There is plenty of wide open space for a clear shot, and just in case it does get crowded, I have swapped out the hard top for the soft top so I can drop it and set the camera tripod up in the back of the Jeep

I will be shooting the eclipse with a 600MM lens with solar filter so will be able to get up close and personal. Will post a pic or two when done.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Yes, I'm driving up to Jackson WY where I have family living; so I already have a place reserved. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nope..... Not a big deal to me. I see it get dark every day.

Reactions: Bubbalel
1 - 20 of 106 Posts