Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. It's time for new wheels and tires.

I have a 2016 JKU Sport (3.6L Pentastar), 3.73 gears, 6-speed manual transmission. I don't intend to re-gear anytime soon. This is a DD, and while it doesn't see much off-road right now, I do plan to start taking it places now that my daughter is approaching 1 year old. However, it will probably never see super heavy rock-crawling until it's time for a new engine, which, at that point, I might consider a regear.

This subject probably has been beat to death. A lot of guys say the largest I should go is 33, while others say 35 is fine. I do like the look of larger tires, to avoid what I call the "roller-skate" look, (too large of a lift with tires that are too small). Some pictures with 33's look awesome, while others look like they are approaching the roller-skate look. Maybe it's just the camera playing tricks? If I go 33's, I plan on doing a ~2" lift to avoid rubbing off-road.

Some guys say that after going to 35's they lose the use of 6th gear. Losing 18% of my transmission capability doesn't sound good to me. But on the other hand, right now running stock tires, sometimes I feel like there should be a 7th gear on the highway.

Also something to consider is the fact that I live in Colorado, so I already have about 20% less power than some of you sea-level dwellers.

On a previous jeep I had 35's on a 2007 JKU X (3.8L) automatic. Dont know what gears it had, but it was a slug. So now I'm just terrified that if I go to 35's without regearing I will end up hating it, then my wife won't like me because I'll have to spend another $1k on a regear.

Advice?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a 14 Willys edition JKU and have 6spd, w/ 3.5 lift, and 35s. I also went and bought a Superchips Flashpaq tuner. Running on the interstate at 70mph it sits at 2100+- RPM in 6th gear. I do downshift it is a really big hill but for the most part I don't touch it with cruise control on. Typically if I am off the interstate I will go to 5th but not go to 6th unless I am going 65mph. I run the standard 87 octane tune and it does just fine. I am getting ready to go to 37s once I get it re-geared though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Between the hills and elevation I would stick with 33's unless you want to re-gear.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Between the hills and elevation I would stick with 33's unless you want to re-gear.
I think that is what I'm leaning towards. 35's just just compound things a bit (tire carrier, larger lift or new fenders, regear, etc)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Yeah, when you go 35s you're talking a lot of money. Wheels, lift, fenders, spare tire carrier and a regear. All for two more inches of tire over the 33s.

Which is why I decided against it, at least for now. I put on a relatively inexpensive 2" AEV Spacer lift, gained 2.5 in front and 1.5 in back. Will go to 33s at some point but will be able to keep my stock wheels, fenders, carrier and 3.73 gears. And plow the money I saved into other things, like steel bumpers, a winch and food.

I figure I'm increasing my off-road capability while sacrificing practically zero on-road capability. Not the biggest, baddest machine around but I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah, when you go 35s you're talking a lot of money. Wheels, lift, fenders, spare tire carrier and a regear. All for two more inches of tire.

Which is why I decided against it, at least for now. I put on a relatively inexpensive 2" AEV Spacer lift, gained 2.5 in front and 1.5 in back. Will go to 33s at some point but will be able to keep my stock wheels, fenders, carrier and 3.73 gears.

I figure I'm increasing my off-road capability while sacrificing practically zero on-road capability. Not the biggest, baddest machine around but I'm happy with it.
And that is all that matters.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think that is what I'm leaning towards. 35's just just compound things a bit (tire carrier, larger lift or new fenders, regear, etc)
33" tires are still quite big and can tackle some gnarly terrain. I remember when I started off roading a 31" was considered a big tire and 35's were for massively built rigs running on D60 axles. 37's were like monster truck tires.

How did we ever make it off road on wimpy 31's ??? The horror.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I ran 35s with 6 speed and 3.73 on my last JK 2013, no real complaints. I never felt at a loss both city and wheeling. You will lose 6th gear sometimes as mentioned but you can still utilize it. I've also run 35s with a 2010 JK and a 6 speed with even 3.21s. That was a rock but I didn't really worry. I'm pretty laid back about it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you like to slip you clutch every time you leave a stop, and especially on hills, you will be in 7th heaven... and If you'd really rather have a 5spd (with a real crappy 1st gear), and just want 6th for downhills and "lugging" it'll be perfect.
Enjoy.

Sorry to be a jack-o-lantern, but you have obviously searched and know the answer... I ran 4.10's and 35's on the street for 1 day and hated it, and I'm at 1250' elevation with dang near flat land... previously was running an XJ with 33's and 4.56's... cannot imagine 35's and 3.73's being anywhere near "good"... especially at 5000' and in hill country.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I ran 35s with 3.73 for a couple of months while I was waiting for a front axle to be shipped from Dynatrac. Not horrible in the city, but pretty ugly offroad. With the 4.56s life is as it should be.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I too live in a higher elevation and deal with long grades and mountains in my Jeep. I have a 2016 JKU lifted 3.5" with a 6 speed, 35's and 3.73 gears. There are days when it is windy that I have to drop down into 4th gear to go 65 mph, but most days I can set the cruise at 65-70 mph and be "okay" in 6th gear. A re-gear is in my future plans as this is my DD and being the slowest vehicle on the highway based on performance and not then need to reach for the best mpg is getting old. I would say if your commute is mostly in the city you will be fine, but if you see a lot of highway speeds like me then I would ask what is more important....spending the $$$ 35's or better drive-ability with 33's (in your current configuration).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
33's it is. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hosted by JeepParking.com

Does ok on the street but offroad it is tough......depends on how you wheel. Out here we do a lot of rocks so it stalls out on large steps unless you ride the clutch and keep the RPMs up. You'll want 4.56 or 4.88 if you wheel a lot in 4 low.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Automatic, 3.73, 37" KO2's but regearing to 4.56 in 2 weeks.

FWIW even with the slight roller-skate look w/ new fenders and stubby bumper, on my last rock crawling trip, my front left tire still rubbed the MetalCloak logo on the fender, so there is some functional purpose behind the roller-skate look.

Something to keep in mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
"If you like to slip you clutch every time you leave a stop..."
Is there another way to operate a clutch? Just kidding, I know what you mean. Now that I think about it, I remember hearing about a guy who didn't use the clutch at all on an old mini truck. I guess he would just push against the 1st gear synchro to get rolling, not really sure what kind of wizardry was going on there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
2.5" lift with 35s here. I usually have no problem at 70 MPH in 6th gear but if it is windy or hilly I have to downshift to maintain speed. I typically run 5th gear until about 60 MPH.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
sectretspy711 I have 34s and 4.10 6sp in CO. I would say that is the limit for my taste. So no way would I do 35s with 4.10s in CO, let alone 3.73. 35s will be 33.5" mounted and my 34s are 33" exactly when mounted. So tire size is comical now anyway!

·
Registered
389 Posts
spot on...3.73 here...33s and 6th gear is essentially useless unless cruising on a flat interstate. Anything larger and I would probably drive the Jeep to Moab, let everyone run over it, and leave it there for Parts...or just re-gear. Forgive me; I'm dramatic and say things for effect.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts