Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to do some research and I wanted to know from you guys why a diesel Wrangler would be soooo much better than a gasoline Wrangler? Is it solely because the Wrangler would be more fuel efficient or am I missing something? There is so much to learn about engines I just wanted to know specifically how a Wrangler would be greatly improved by having a diesel engine.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You will get a lot of answers suggesting that low-end torque is the biggest reason, but I disagree completely. If you don't believe me, ask Archimedes.

To me, the real benefit would be range. My JKUR just does not have the fuel capacity for extended trips into the woods.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
more torque, better gas milage, motor usually lasts longer. Down side is diesel engines are harder to start in colder climates.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
It's mostly fuel efficiency and extra torque, i haven't looked into the diesel market as i don't have a need for a diesel application, and because the repairs seem to be fairly expensive in the diesel world,, even more when you don't know crap about such technology, because you were not exposed to any of it as you were growing up :),But, if i needed to pull 30k lbs of load daily for commercial reasons, i'll look into a diesel truck, when it comes to a diesel Jeep Wrangler ? i'll let the others who really are into such a thing enjoy it, if i keep my Jeep long enough, it'll have an LS3 or bigger engine, lol, depending how much funds i get at the time..

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
more torque, better gas milage, motor usually lasts longer. Down side is diesel engines are harder to start in colder climates.
^^^ What he said. When my Jeep finally dies way, way down the road, I would buy a diesel when I replace mine. Last year, I had to drive a Volkswagen Passat with a diesel engine that my office got me as a rental. The car was so quite that I did not even realize that I was driving a diesel until I noticed the TDI badge on the car when I got out of it. I was very impressed by the power if the engine. When I stepped on the gas peddle to get onto the interstate, that car really took off. And the Passat TDI gets 44 mpg on the highway. Hopefully a Jeep diesel engine will be a good performer.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
^^^ What he said. When my Jeep finally dies way, way down the road, I would buy a diesel when I replace mine. Last year, I had to drive a Volkswagen Passat with a diesel engine that my office got me as a rental. The car was so quite that I did not even realize that I was driving a diesel until I noticed the TDI badge on the car when I got out of it. I was very impressed by the power if the engine. When I stepped on the gas peddle to get onto the interstate, that car really took off. And the Passat TDI gets 44 mpg on the highway. Hopefully a Jeep diesel engine will be a good performer.
You sure it wasn't a TSI badge on the trunk? That's the gas motor that still does good on fuel. I rent 40+ cars a year and have never seen a diesel VW in the rental lot in the nine years I've had this job.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I own a number of diesels. One thing that people that don't own diesels don't know is how much extra HP and torque can be added after market. You take a 5.9 liter cummins and and a fuel box, injectors and a bigger turbo or a twin!! You can have 500 hp and 1000 ft/lbs of torque!! I mean you are talking <5000 bucks for adding 300 hp and 500 torque. And that will add the markets for HD TC and tranny etc. all good things! A 4bt diesel with twins will easily make 500 ft/lbs with some juice!!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The diesel that there putting in the jl wrangler will be 2.0 turbo with an 8 speed transmission.
If it comes to be... that might be a great Wrangler.
2.0 turbo might indicate it will be more compact, lighter than the current JK/JKU......
which is way too big.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Aftermarket is where the diesel shines. chances are fca will put a gay little Italian diesel in the wrangler and it will be no fun. Diesels are heavy as well but in every other aspect it's a winner. I want one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know that is what it will be I've been working with the new machinery for the 8 speed transmission. We just started running about 10 a week to ship to toledo so they can start doing there run offs.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I own a number of diesels. One thing that people that don't own diesels don't know is how much extra HP and torque can be added after market. You take a 5.9 liter cummins and and a fuel box, injectors and a bigger turbo or a twin!! You can have 500 hp and 1000 ft/lbs of torque!! I mean you are talking <5000 bucks for adding 300 hp and 500 torque. And that will add the markets for HD TC and tranny etc. all good things! A 4bt diesel with twins will easily make 500 ft/lbs with some juice!!

And you'll kiss the warranty goodbye.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Why aren't diesel engines used for racing?
Racing engines typically operate over a fairly narrow (e.g., high rpm) set of conditions where gearing can be optimized to keep the engine in its power band.

If we could build a durable CVT that could provide very wide range of gear ratios, the low-end power advantages of a diesel would be nullified and a gas engine would work just as well for towing, off-roading, etc. But, we cannot, as of yet - at least not in a cost-effective manner.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts