Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe there's already a thread about this so I apologize in advance if that's the case. Also, I'm fully aware I'll probably get flamed for this thread but I really don't care because I'm curious to know why. So as the title says, why all the hatred by Jeep owners towards Hummers? I've never owned one, but I still think they're kind of cool if done up right. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a Jeep, but I certainly don't hate Hummers and would never rule out buying one if the deal was right. Is it build quality? Looks? 4X4 capability? Because they're not like the H1's? What gives?

I'm not trying to start a debate on car preference, just curious because I feel like I'm missing something.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i dont like the h3's, but i do like the h2's. but i dont think they're even comparable to jeeps. i look at them as a big SUV to haul people and cargo in. i think part of the bad reputation is that most hummer owners think they have superior 4 wheel drive capability.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Its a classic case of something that started out cool, but strayed so far away from its original design and intent that the H3 was almost unrecognizable from the H1. Jeep is starting to do the same thing, but luckily not anything close to what Hummer did. There's a reason why they went out of business.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
The H1 is fine for what it is. A utility truck that replaced a lot of different inventory in the military. It's not a great rock crawler but it's really good at other types of off roading. It was pricey when it was available to the public and it really was under powered (which is an easy solvable problem). But it's not a bad vehicle.

The H2 was built for an entirely different purpose. It's nothing more than an overpriced Tahoe with a body kit. It's really not great for doing much off road at all. When GM beefed it up a little they didn't go far enough and it has some major weaknesses.

The H3 is just the same as the H2 but built on the Colorado platform.

The H2/3 are really just mall crawling posers for people who are kidding themselves or just want to show off their money.

·
Registered
268 Posts
For me, it's the drivers. Here in Vegas, they are arrogant and because the H2 is so much bigger than most cars, they drive them with the intention of intimidating other drivers. I have had at least two of these drivers tailgate and then go around me just to cut me off just to get in front of me, and then have the balls to flip me off. They are worse than drivers who drive the oversize pickups.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
I think it's because the people who own / build these -

None of these will see more dirt than what's in the Wal-Mart parking lot, and on that note, I leave you with this little gem -

Hummer rock crawling -

And all this was on the first half of page one of a google search 'hummer bling'

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Same reason hummer and toyota people hate jeeps.

Honestly, if i see a nice built rig, i'll wave at them. Doesn't matter if they're in a hummer or a silverado. I've *NEVER* seen a hummer in real life that was built. Thank god most of them are stock though, and not super bling mobiles.

I wave at a bunch of guys in silverados and old fords. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone...and for going easy on me with my question! Never even realized some of the things that were mentioned!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
For me, it's the drivers. Here in Vegas, they are arrogant and because the H2 is so much bigger than most cars, they drive them with the intention of intimidating other drivers. I have had at least two of these drivers tailgate and then go around me just to cut me off just to get in front of me, and then have the balls to flip me off. They are worse than drivers who drive the oversize pickups.
Right, and the parents that buy these for their newly licensed sons or daughters to drive o they do not get get injured when they smash into someone while talking on the phone/texting.

·
Registered
484 Posts
And don't forget their awesome add campaign years ago when the H3 came out to boost sales..."Get your girl on!" Barf. I believe its the stigma the owners put on themselves. The wannabees buying the H2/3 because they can't afford the H1. It's like peeps buying the Compass and bragging about their new rugged Jeep maybe!
I almost bought an H1 in 95 when I bought my second wrangler until my friend that managed a Jeep/Hummer dealer convinced me otherwise. Every H1 they had in the shop spent many a day in the service bays. H1s are like helicopters...built for the military to be maintained by the military. Which means, 1 hour of operation is 10 hours of maintenance! Made sense to me.
How many H2/3s have u seen on the trails? Maybe a reason for that.
Regarding the ridiculous looking SEMAmobiles above....seen many a Wrangler same way. Again, barf! Hell, even Jeep had the Renegade for a while! Lol
Just my humble insight!
Troy

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
And don't forget their awesome add campaign years ago when the H3 came out to boost sales..."Get your girl on!" Barf. I believe its the stigma the owners put on themselves. The wannabees buying the H2/3 because they can't afford the H1. It's like peeps buying the Compass and bragging about their new rugged Jeep maybe!
I almost bought an H1 in 95 when I bought my second wrangler until my friend that managed a Jeep/Hummer dealer convinced me otherwise. Every H1 they had in the shop spent many a day in the service bays. H1s are like helicopters...built for the military to be maintained by the military. Which means, 1 hour of operation is 10 hours of maintenance! Made sense to me.
How many H2/3s have u seen on the trails? Maybe a reason for that.
Regarding the ridiculous looking SEMAmobiles above....seen many a Wrangler same way. Again, barf! Hell, even Jeep had the Renegade for a while! Lol
Just my humble insight!
Troy
Jeeps were made for the military to be maintained by the military in the first place. The H1 was significantly redesigned for the civilian market, so this makes no sense whatsoever. BS on that one.

It probably requires a lot of maintenance time because of complicated engineering. Like a helicopter.

All aircraft require a lot of maintenance, such as rebuilding engines that run fine. Cause it'd really suck if they failed in operation.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
I have to disagree with "seen many a wrangler the same way", the islanders do like to pretty up the Jeeps, but for the H2/H3 crowd it's S.O.P.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
The Surrey was a special edition from the factory, not something blinged out by the owner.

·
Registered
224 Posts
plus.. its just plain fun to have a villain :firedevil:to go against our hero :angel:.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Jeeps were made for the military to be maintained by the military in the first place. The H1 was significantly redesigned for the civilian market, so this makes no sense whatsoever. BS on that one.

H1 was pretty much the same as the mil version HMMV. I do agree that H2 and 3s were sole built for civilians. So, my turn to call bs! ;)

It probably requires a lot of maintenance time because of complicated engineering. Like a helicopter.

All aircraft require a lot of maintenance, such as rebuilding engines that run fine. Cause it'd really suck if they failed in operation.
Actually helicopters require much more maintenance than aircraft...about 10 times more per hour roughly. I've owned both, and fly commercially (used to wrench commercially also btw.)
Troy

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Its a classic case of something that started out cool, but strayed so far away from its original design and intent that the H3 was almost unrecognizable from the H1. Jeep is starting to do the same thing, but luckily not anything close to what Hummer did. There's a reason why they went out of business.
Completely agree...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts