Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting dry starts here lately since the weather has gotten colder. When I say cold it's only been around 29 for a low. I am not trying to start a which filter and what kind of oil debate, but just to clarify I am using an OEM mopar filter and 10w30 Mobil oil (not synthetic). I was just wondering are there any other things that would cause this to happen?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just throwing this idea out there but maybe just swap the filter with another brand that you know has an anti-drain back valve in it just to see if the prob persists. I use wix on my 2000.

How are you determining a dry start?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Throw a bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer in there. I Used have used that in every vehicle I have owned to prevent dry starts.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sometimes oil filters' anti-drainback valves leak the oil out of the filter overnight. It happens with all brands occasionally. I'd just try another filter--even the same kind. You may just have a bad one. You don't have to drain the engine oil. You'll get some oil loss when you take the filter off so have a drain pan under it and some rags, and top off the oil to make up for what you lose.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I guess I can change out the filter with another OEM and see if it helps. I've never been a big fan of adding anything to my oil so hopefully the filter change will help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Showing my ignorance

I am new to jeeps and auto forums in general. I have never heard the term "dry start". What is it exactly?:banghead:

·
Registered
61 Posts
It won't.

If you want improvement in start-up lubrication in cold weather, change your oil...to synthetic.
X2 to this. I use mobile 1, and switched my jeep to that when I got it with 126,000 miles and no it didn't cause any leaks or oil consumption problems contrary to what people say about switching late in an engines life. I'm not saying that switching doesn't cause those problems in some engines, but the 3 vehicles I've swapped at high mileage never had any problems from it. My truck used to produce a metallic roar whenever the temps dropped to 20F or less and switching to mobile 1 (aka full synthetic) solved that completely. I also recommend synthetic engine oil because I once overheated my boat to above 265F (pegged the needle and then some) and the mobile 1 in it thinned out, but did not gel at all thankfully. It was so hot that it ran for 10 minutes after I turned the ignition off :doh:

·
Registered
591 Posts
I don't think 29 degrees F is cold enough to make a dry start with a full sump of 10W-30 conventional if the filter is holding.

I am new to jeeps and auto forums in general. I have never heard the term "dry start". What is it exactly?:banghead:
Oil pressure takes longer than normal to come up when the engine is first started after sitting a while or typically overnight.
The engine often makes a harsh or rattling noise for a few seconds until the oil gets fully circulated. It adds wear to the engine.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Unless you have a high performance race engine using synthetic is a waste of money. Any mechanic I work with will tell you that.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I had lifter tap problems with Mobil-1. In fact, it made it much worse over time.

the 4.0L likes cheap dino oil. I use Rotella-T or Valvoline, whichever is on sale, buying it in the gallon jugs. I also add a ZDDP additive.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Probably don't need the additional ZDDP, but I doubt it hurts, and the oil it came from the factory with probably had more of it than the new oils usually do. (I use an ad sometimes, too, knowing it probably doesn't have to have it.)
Right now, QS Defy. It's a synthetic blend which means it is probably 70% conventional, but has something like 1000 ppm zinc. Anyway, I haven't had dry starts with it since it's been cold in the mornings...often below freezing. I never have had any indication of dry start with conventional on any engine even in deepest winter. I believe in synthetic oils and often use them, but it shouldn't be the cause of the OP's problem.

OP, Did changing the filter do the trick?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe it is something you ate? I have the opposite issue when I eat Mexican food.

Oh you said starts! :rofl:

Nevermind......... :whistling:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I had lifter tap problems with Mobil-1. In fact, it made it much worse over time.
I use Mobil 1 in two 4.0L engines (one of which is 25 years old) and neither have that problem.

I have been getting dry starts here lately...
What is your basis for that conclusion?

Unless you have a high performance race engine using synthetic is a waste of money. Any mechanic I work with will tell you that.
Does even one of your mechanic comrades have data to support his findings? Or is it all just a feeling?

I don't think 29 degrees F is cold enough to make a dry start with a full sump of 10W-30 conventional if the filter is holding.
The ambient air temperature at the time of start does not tell the whole story.

Some of the engines that I operate will show immediate oil pressure at 70*, but take 15-20 seconds for the needle to move at 30*.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I would never put full synthetic in a Wrangler. Might as well run premium fuel as long as your wasting your money too.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Some of the engines that I operate will show immediate oil pressure at 70*, but take 15-20 seconds for the needle to move at 30*.
And synthetic corrects this in these particular engines? If so, that would be my choice too. I have not had an issue, myself, with evidence of dry starts with any engine I have owned at these temperatures while using conventional oils, although I know synthetic will likely be more pumpable, all other things being equal.

If the the OP's problem showed up suddenly and just recently with the drop in temperature, assuming there is not an unusual amount of mileage racked up since last winter, I still suspect the oil filter may be at fault.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To Blind Dog.. haven't got around to changing the filter yet but it's only done it a few times since I made this post. I have the filter just wanted to see if the problem continued before swapping it out.

To Tangofox... When I start it up it has the metal to metal lifter tapping pinging sound until my oil pressure starts to climb.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Same temperature range? Again, it may be an intermittently leaking anti-drainback valve in the filter.
Let us know?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Either the ADBV in the filter is leaking, or some of your lifters are leaking down.

The colder it is, the longer it will take the oil to get to the lifters.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts