Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a new raditor put in over the summer, new houses too. Flushed the whole systerm and all. And i just had a new water pump put in it too. But i noticed about every week i lose all my enigne coolant! I've refilled it multiple times, but i haven't noticed any leaks at all on the ground... What could be wrong with it?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If you don't see any on the ground, take it for a drive get it nice and warmed up. bring it back to your house, let it idle and see if you get any drips when its on. Get under the jeep and see if any of your hoses are wet, sometimes things only leak when driving and dont drip in the driveway.
If you still dont see any leaks, just turn it on and let it sit in the driveway. some coolant leaks dont leak when warm because of the built up pressure holding everything from leaking. then see if you get any drips and wet hoses.

Check your coolant color, is it brown? it might be that you are loosing coolant due to a crack in your engine block.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Are you getting white smoke out the pipe? Going through that much coolant with no leaks is usually a head/head gasket issue. I'd check the coolant for combustion gases and do a pressure check.

What year and engine is your jeep?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jherrington said:
If you don't see any on the ground, take it for a drive get it nice and warmed up. bring it back to your house, let it idle and see if you get any drips when its on. Get under the jeep and see if any of your hoses are wet, sometimes things only leak when driving and dont drip in the driveway.
If you still dont see any leaks, just turn it on and let it sit in the driveway. some coolant leaks dont leak when warm because of the built up pressure holding everything from leaking. then see if you get any drips and wet hoses.

Check your coolant color, is it brown? it might be that you are loosing coolant due to a crack in your engine block.
Engine coolant is still green

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn said:
Are you getting white smoke out the pipe? Going through that much coolant with no leaks is usually a head/head gasket issue. I'd check the coolant for combustion gases and do a pressure check.

I'll take it tomorrow and get that looked at.. Not white smoke tho

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn said:

It's a 97 4 banger

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the engine coolant filled up past the fill mark line and now it's fell below it again. All i did was turn it on and drove it about 10 yards.. Wasn't even on for more thatn 45 seconds?? :banghead:

·
Registered
768 Posts
I had the engine coolant filled up past the fill mark line and now it's fell below it again. All i did was turn it on and drove it about 10 yards.. Wasn't even on for more thatn 45 seconds?? :banghead:
When you say " i noticed about every week i lose all my enigne coolant!" do you mean ALL of your coolant is gone or just the overflow bottle? There's a big difference especially when you just had the system drained and filled.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I use coolant too.

I have to refill my coolant tank about once a month, I have a new radiator, replaced all the hoses, thermostat & gasket, and water pump.

I can smell the coolant outside the jeep after a long drive, but I can't find a leak anywhere. No bubbles in the radiator, no white smoke from the tail pipe, runs excellent, oh and my carpet is dry.

Been using this much water for the past 80,000 to 100,000 miles

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn said:
When you say " i noticed about every week i lose all my enigne coolant!" do you mean ALL of your coolant is gone or just the overflow bottle? There's a big difference especially when you just had the system drained and filled.
Coolant bottle*

·
Registered
48 Posts
You could be loosing through steam.
My old ford explorer looses coolant regularly but no drips. Get it real hot at night, then open up the hood with a flashlight to find your steam leak

·
Registered
173 Posts
When you replaced all of that, did you correctly burp the air out of the coolant lines/engine block?
can you explain this procedure, i to recently replaced my radiator.. havn't noticed a problem with losing fluid, i just have had to keep adding some to my overflow container.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Park your jeep on an upslope to aid the air to come out. Open the radiator cap, the actual radiator cap.(while the engine is cold) and see if you're low on coolant. Fill up with 50/50 mix of water an coolant. Crank it up with the cap still off for a minute or so, then continue filling the radiator. It should "burp" the air out of the system, provided their is air in there.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
You can have a minor leak that only shows up when the system is pressurized and evaporates when it's hot. You can have the system pressure tested or better have UV dye added to the system Most auto shops have it. The you come back in a couple days and they hit it with a black light. It shows up clear as can be exactly where it is leaking.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Woke up and drove it too school this morning and no coolant was gone from the bottle like it normally was.. But it seems as if something else is leaking

1 - 20 of 39 Posts