Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
Why are 20" wheels looked down on? Because they are not for diehards?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Pretty much. Technically speaking they reduce the size of the sidewall of the tire to accommodate the bigger rim, so they aren't as good for off road adventures. There are some that do off road with them though. Personally I don't know why people get so worked up about it, but that is the thought.

·
Registered
126 Posts
For each his own - I don't use them for off-road. Let's say one is running 33" tires. Compare a 17" rim with a 20" - that's three more inches of rim and an equal amount less of air. Less flotation, less room to air down, less sidewall flex, but more unsprung weight.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think, and this is just my opinion, that the look of a 20" wheel isn't that bad. Most of the time. But the looks don't outweigh the benefits of having a smaller wheel. Also, people see a jeep rolling on 20's and the first thought is "Mall Crawler." That's ok if that's what it is, but a lot of people laugh at these "beauty rigs" because they offroad theirs. So they don't worry about scratches and small imperfections.
Personally, I'd have a hard time dropping the coin required for 20's then venture off road where they will get thrashed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought mine with 20s already on it with and 35 inch Toyos. I do various forms of offroading from long trail runs, some crawling, and going through the occasional creek of mud. I do air them down but only to about 17psi and usually don't have any trouble unless I am trying to crawl something technical and need a bit more bite.

However there are times I wish that I had 17s as to get more sidewall coverage. It comes down to personal preference, I enjoy the looks of the 20s with the right Jeep. Go with whatever you prefer! Both have trade offs

·
Super Moderator
9,604 Posts
I bought mine with 20s already on it with and 35 inch Toyos. I do various forms of offroading from long trail runs, some crawling, and going through the occasional creek of mud. I do air them down but only to about 17psi and usually don't have any trouble unless I am trying to crawl something technical and need a bit more bite. However there are times I wish that I had 17s as to get more sidewall coverage. It comes down to personal preference, I enjoy the looks of the 20s with the right Jeep. Go with whatever you prefer! Both have trade offs
FYI- 17psi is not really airing down to a point that is beneficial to provide extra traction or protect the tire itself.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I can't stand seeing 16's on a muscle car, the sight of 20's on a Jeep gives me a headache.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
FYI- 17psi is not really airing down to a point that is beneficial to provide extra traction or protect the tire itself.
I don't know from a traction standpoint, but I think 17 PSI rides a LOT easier and I think in terms of bruising and suspension wear it helps quite a bit compared to 37 PSI. Maybe not enough to prevent a puncture on a sharp rock, but a heck of a lot better than running around with 37!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know from a traction standpoint, but I think 17 PSI rides a LOT easier and I think in terms of bruising and suspension wear it helps quite a bit compared to 37 PSI. Maybe not enough to prevent a puncture on a sharp rock, but a heck of a lot better than running around with 37!
^truth^ definitely doesn't conform as well but its a good high-medium psi for general wheeling to soak up some of the terrain. It shows just a slight flex to the sidewall. If I need to I take it farther down.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Typically because guys put them on 35's or 37's which leaves very little sidewall to protect your wheel both off road or from potholes on road. The 20" tire cost significantly more than the same 17" tire.
I would also think the rim would be weaker. Was this way on my other platform. More chance for "run out" ect.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey
Why are 20" wheels looked down on? Because they are not for diehards?
Personally I say get what "YOU" want everyone's opinion is subjective. I am getting 20 inch wheels f*ck it. But I won't used those for off roading, except I will keep my stock Rubi wheels and tires for that or just maybe a cheap set of 17/18 wheels, cheap tires and switch them up when I want to go play...

There's no better look IMO than a 20~ :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Personally I say get what "YOU" want everyone's opinion is subjective. I am getting 20 inch wheels f*ck it. But I won't used those for off roading, except I will keep my stock Rubi wheels and tires for that or just maybe a cheap set of 17/18 wheels, cheap tires and switch them up when I want to go play...

There's no better look IMO than a 20~ :)
I do agree with that, mod your jeep to your liking....I am sure some will hate my mod choices lol!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts