Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked tube doors based on people's recommendations here. But why are they so expensive? like $350 a pair? aren't they just metal?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Because people will pay $350/pair for them..... I dont have any but I've looked at some at a jeep event and it was just metal, nothing to them really

·
Registered
359 Posts
If you try a set, you will see why. They look cool and make driving even more fun. They are worth it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Because like airplanes, Jeeps are owned by rich people who have nothing better to do than to sink vast sums of money into them.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I checked tube doors based on people's recommendations here. But why are they so expensive? like $350 a pair? aren't they just metal?
Well, it was mentioned "some build their own".... I would offer, Go out to the garage and give it a try.
Ok, Checkbook out and checks for $350/$700 made out to.....

Some like them. If they Do - They write the checks.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
aren't they just metal?
No, they're much more than steel. I don't own a pair/set, but as with many goods, the material cost is only one part of the equation. The skilled labor and/or machinery to build them is much much more.

I call on manufacturing plants most of my work week, and almost every day, I'm amazed by the amount of work that goes in to, what is perceived as hunk of plastic, steel, etc. Add to that, while Jeeps are popular in our circle of friends. I'd guess many quality parts aren't built in quantities that justify automation, so skilled labor becomes the majority of cost. I'll let others cover taxes, insurance, etc, as that's not in my wheelhouse.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
No, they're much more than steel. I don't own a pair/set, but as with many goods, the material cost is only one part of the equation. The skilled labor and/or machinery to build them is much much more.

I call on manufacturing plants most of my work week, and almost every day, I'm amazed by the amount of work that goes in to, what is perceived as hunk of plastic, steel, etc. Add to that, while Jeeps are popular in our circle of friends. I'd guess many quality parts aren't built in quantities that justify automation, so skilled labor becomes the majority of cost. I'll let others cover taxes, insurance, etc, as that's not in my wheelhouse.
+1

And just to emphasize, they are made in relatively low volumes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
because people will pay it, supply and demand. Yea there is a decent amount that goes into labor cost if it's not automated. The material cost for this amount of steel or aluminum, could be made with either, is less than $30. Especially since these places buy the material in bulk. Personal I wouldn't pay that kind of price for them, if I did want some I would make my own.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
A better option, all aluminum half doors from Savvy .. $500/$1000 2 and 4 door (s)
@kjeeper10

Hey Ken, have you figured out what you're going to run for mirrors with that setup? Or are you going rear view only?

Joe

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I was in the automotive industry and the general thought was something like this:

Many companies want to supply the OE market because of the high volume and relatively steady market. Currently this is driving sale price down due to the rules of supply and demand.

However specialty parts do not have the high volume and the tooling, administrative, overhead, and freight costs are spread over fewer parts. This drives up the piece price. Also in the aftermarket, if someone is willing to pay $435 for something, they will probably pay $495 for the same item that they "must have" if they can't find it elsewhere.

I just paid $315 for a front winch bumper that I have seen other pay over $500 for similar but "better quality". A with anything, people also pay more for a name brand. $125 for sneakers vs $50.

As mentioned, "people will buy them"

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Why are they $350? Do you have a $500-$2000 welder? How about a $900 bender? A couple hundred dollar pipe notcher? The skills required to make welds that people will buy? What about overhead?

$350 is nothing! I want to know why sticky trepador 40's are $750 each.

Look at bumpers. I built this one, and I would say it is on par with most $500-$600 bumpers. I made at least 15 feet of weld. Took me 2 days. Time is money!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts