Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought long about whether to post this because I suspect I’m a bit of an oddity here, and I can already see the blowback.

First. In my 59 years, I’ve never owned a Jeep, but a few months ago I finally purchased my first Jeep. I’ve wanted a Jeep for some time, but for various reasons I wasn’t able to pull the trigger until now.

The reason I finally made the purchase was that I wanted the full Jeep experience. Now this means different things to different people. For me, it was the total open-air experience, no doors, no soft-top roof, just the rush of air, Zeppelin tunes on the audio, and the feeling of total abandon and freedom that can only be experienced in a completely open-air drive (preferably at fast speed).

What I’ve discovered however, is that all that really matters is the build. Entire chat rooms, websites and forums are devoted this, and this alone. An entire online cottage industry exists to cater to every conceivable build list item. And all of this comes at huge cost.

But more than the cost is the notion that my validity is measured by my build. Either directly or by inference, the “stock” Jeep is without merit. If I’ve read it here once, I’ve read it a dozen times. People talk of “stock” Jeeps like they talk about something decrepit, and I’m insulted.

When I purchased my JL, I was all-in! I joined my local Jeep club, and made plans to attend my first meetup. I drove an hour to the meetup site, and when I arrived, the Jeeps parked in the lot told me everything I needed to know. Maxed out builds, 38” MT tires, lifted to the sky, all painted black. My white stock JL appeared lame. I turned around and drove home. I have no desire to listen to bunch pricks compare notes on their builds, and their next mod. As I drove home I wondered if this would be the pre-requisite. In order to be a ‘real’ Jeeper would I have to fork out thousands of dollars modifying my Jeep? I’ve lived too many years and come from too humble beginnings to be impressed by such pomp.

Does this mean I’ll never build or mod my Jeep? Perhaps, perhaps not. But unless the mod satisfies a practical, utilitarian purpose, it’s all pretense (IMO).

I love my Jeep. I plan to never sell it. And I’ll continue to enjoy it just the way it is. Some day I may modify some part of my Jeep, but until then my ‘stock’ Jeep will suit me fine.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Your Jeep is your Jeep and you appreciate it in the way you want to. Use it for what ever reason you have. I wave at ALL Jeeps, stock or not because of what Jeep represents. I love wheeling with stock Jeep or even just passing one on the road.
I've been looked down on because I still run 35's and not 37's or 40's...not my thing.

Welcome to the Jeep Family from Colorado. It's yours and make it yours in your own way.
No judgement here. Stock JL's can tackle some tough shi* so enjoy what you have. I have nothing but respect for someone who WANTS to drive a JEEP for what it is!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Crazysjeep has a good point. Some of those big tire guys are super cool and started wheeling with a stock Jeep. Eventually their level of wheeling demanded a built rig. Those guys are great to wheel with. You will learn a lot from them, and if you get stuck they will get you out. If you break there is a good chance they can do a bush repair and get you off the trail.

A real Jeeper will never look down on you for running a stock rig!

·
Registered
151 Posts
to each his/her own....if you feel the need to join a Jeep group search around for a group that put less emphasis on mods.... but it sounds to me like you are not a joining a club kind of guy....I shoot but have never shot trap,skeet,clays,ect in a league.....don't care to....I used to bowl....but just with friends bsing and having a couple beers....Im on my 4th Wrangler and have never joined any club....and have not modified any of them unless something broke and needed to be replaced.....enjoy your Jeep...and don't worry about others....don't want you to start returning Jeep waves with the one finger variety....

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
OP, two things strike me here. Looks like a lot of judgement without investigation and maybe you care too much about what you think others think about you.

·
Registered
490 Posts
OP, two things strike me here. Looks like a lot of judgement without investigation and maybe you care too much about what you think others think about you.
well said don't worry about what others think as long as your happy with your jeep that's all that matters

·
Registered
81 Posts
In the Jeep club i am in in lower michigan. The biggest jeep is on 40s ,The smallest jeep is stock.
The oldest person in our group is 74 and the youngest is 19. It doesn't mater how old you are or what kind of Jeep you drive. We have all kind's in our club.

If you don't want to wheel you'r jeep that is fine. There is always an empty seat and someone will let you ride. Kid's are welcome, Pet's are welcome.

We had a group of about 47 of us that went up to Drummond Island in the upper peninsula last weekend to go wheeling . I think we had 27 Jeep's up there. It was a blast. We had day run's and night run's. Some drove up and some trailered .

We had a guy blow a head gasket on his tow vehicle 6 hour's from home. We drove some Jeep's home that were trailered up so we could get his tow vehicle home. No one get's left behind .

Nope.. We are not all prick's. Get out and enjoy you'r Jeep.

·
Super Moderator
10,677 Posts
Welcome to the Forum SineNomine,

I'm older than you by better than a decade and a half. I don't do the hard stuff anymore because I don't want to work that hard.
I enjoy my YJ as a daily driver and on easy trails. If anyone ever tried to give me BS about no lift or "only" 31" tires I'd probably laugh right in their face.
I have it for ME.
Too bad your first experience was with a group that wasn't as welcoming as they might have been. It could have happened the same with any group centered around whatever sport.
Stick around this forum and you're sure to find posters that you can relate with.

If you go to the main page of this forum and scroll down past the vendors, you'll find the "WF Local Forums for your state". Open that link and click on your state.
Once you find a run posted, ask about the run. Tell them that you have a stock Jeep and would like to learn about 4 wheeling on the easy trails.

Let us know what sort of response you get.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Welcome to the Forum SineNomine,

I'm older than you by better than a decade and a half. I don't do the hard stuff anymore because I don't want to work that hard.
I enjoy my YJ as a daily driver and on easy trails. If anyone ever tried to give me BS about no lift or "only" 31" tires I'd probably laugh right in their face.
I have it for ME.
Too bad your first experience was with a group that wasn't as welcoming as they might have been. It could have happened the same with any group centered around whatever sport.
Stick around this forum and you're sure to find posters that you can relate with.

If you go to the main page of this forum and scroll down past the vendors, you'll find the "WF Local Forums for your state". Open that link and click on your state.
Once you find a run posted, ask about the run. Tell them that you have a stock Jeep and would like to learn about 4 wheeling on the easy trails.

Let us know what sort of response you get.

Good Luck, L.M.
His first experience with his group was bad because of his own insecurity. He didn't even give them a chance. Not "his" groups fault.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
I’ve learned as I’ve gotten older, I’ve now owned a CJ, TJ, JKU (3 boys required it), and now a YJ. It’s my favorite.
I used to build my Jeeps, thought it was for a purpose. Then I saw a stock YJ going everywhere the built Jeeps went. You may need built in some places, but not W KY.
Like Lucky, mines a DD, when purchased it had a small lift on it. It wears a winch and 31” MT because my son’s and I hunt and fish a lot by ourselves.
It’s for me and no one else (but my boys sure do love it). I don’t care what other people think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
500 Posts
be prepared to also face the, "real Jeeps stopped after the TJ" talk too. I guess some of that is changing to anything past the JK isn't a real Jeep. Funny how that changes.

In any group you'll get the "hardcore" people who look down on any newbies. They forget that one time they were new.

You will find a ton of people who modify their Jeeps though and most who go to meetups will be part of that crowd, but they aren't all bad. modifying my jeep is one of the things I love about ownership. I really enjoy researching and making it my own.

Try to think of what you might want to get out of a meetup or a Jeep Group and go from there to find the right group.

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
I’m curious what he thought people in a jeep club were going to talk about? The weather perhaps or who got the best deal on their jeep? I wish I had a sixth sense where I knew what people were going to talk about by the color of their vehicles.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Here is what I understand you to have said:

You bought a jeep. You joined a club. You went to a meetup with the club. You passed judgment on the members of the club based on the rigs you saw. You decided everyone there must be "pricks" and you left. You then justified that judgment with your age.

If I've got that right, then I think that club dodged a bullet avoiding your judgmental attitude.

Who do you think you are, invalidating how other people enjoy their jeeps? You're every bit as bad as the people you criticize for giving you a hard time for having a bone stock jeep. That's an immature attitude, whether you're 19 or 69.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I think they would have been excited to have a fresh new member. That's what I thought clubs were for, to meet new people with like interests. And the great thing is that they'd be able to share their experience in modding - if that's what you're interested in.

$0.02

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Oh yeah I have a heavily un modified Jeep with a disastrous giant golden eagle on the hood. And I love it. It's my Jeep, and it's my golden eagle. And together they spell freedom.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I thought long about whether to post this because I suspect I’m a bit of an oddity here, and I can already see the blowback.

First. In my 59 years, I’ve never owned a Jeep, but a few months ago I finally purchased my first Jeep. I’ve wanted a Jeep for some time, but for various reasons I wasn’t able to pull the trigger until now.

The reason I finally made the purchase was that I wanted the full Jeep experience. Now this means different things to different people. For me, it was the total open-air experience, no doors, no soft-top roof, just the rush of air, Zeppelin tunes on the audio, and the feeling of total abandon and freedom that can only be experienced in a completely open-air drive (preferably at fast speed).

What I’ve discovered however, is that all that really matters is the build. Entire chat rooms, websites and forums are devoted this, and this alone. An entire online cottage industry exists to cater to every conceivable build list item. And all of this comes at huge cost.

But more than the cost is the notion that my validity is measured by my build. Either directly or by inference, the “stock” Jeep is without merit. If I’ve read it here once, I’ve read it a dozen times. People talk of “stock” Jeeps like they talk about something decrepit, and I’m insulted.

When I purchased my JL, I was all-in! I joined my local Jeep club, and made plans to attend my first meetup. I drove an hour to the meetup site, and when I arrived, the Jeeps parked in the lot told me everything I needed to know. Maxed out builds, 38” MT tires, lifted to the sky, all painted black. My white stock JL appeared lame. I turned around and drove home. I have no desire to listen to bunch pricks compare notes on their builds, and their next mod. As I drove home I wondered if this would be the pre-requisite. In order to be a ‘real’ Jeeper would I have to fork out thousands of dollars modifying my Jeep? I’ve lived too many years and come from too humble beginnings to be impressed by such pomp.

Does this mean I’ll never build or mod my Jeep? Perhaps, perhaps not. But unless the mod satisfies a practical, utilitarian purpose, it’s all pretense (IMO).

I love my Jeep. I plan to never sell it. And I’ll continue to enjoy it just the way it is. Some day I may modify some part of my Jeep, but until then my ‘stock’ Jeep will suit me fine.
What he said.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
From the time I got my first 4x4 pickup in the 80s and still now, I have often thought - If no one modded their rig, no one else would have to.

A stock 4x4 is bought and wheeled.
There is a threshold of what it is capable of and soon it is reached.
The owner wants new challenges so it is upgraded.
Soon the threshold of what it is capable of is reached.
Wash, rinse, repeat...

However the modded rig still wheels the trails that he did before it was modded. Now the larger tires will dig the mud holes deeper. The trail may evolve to be more difficult. A new more difficult trail may open up that a stock jeep can't do. A new owner may be excluded from the harder trails and then feel the needed to modify to keep up with the group. A normal progression of a hobby is to take it to the next level as the budget allows. (mostly)

When we head out as a group, the "smallest" jeep is noted. Not to put it down, but we don't want to go on a trail that it can't. So sometimes the big rig guys go out, and the smaller ones are not included. If larger rigs never existed, the stock ones would be capable to all trails and the only variable would be the drivers skill. Kinda like NASCAR.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.