Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Dual Top option, and think that I am going to store the soft top in the basement this winter. But it looks like I might have to remove the hard top in order to get the soft top out, right? It's wedged in there pretty tight. I wish they would have just put it into a box and let me install it. It's kinda in the middle of the access hatch making it tough to get things in and out. Not sure why Jeep did that:)

·
<3 BigDogs Hockey & Jeeps
215 Posts
The dealer did that. The soft top should have been in a box, at least that's how I've seen them!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just for shipping purposes shoulda be a big deal to take the hard top off gran a friend an take 20 min to take it off and get soft top out.... Or just keep the soft top on forever and sell the hard top... It's pointless in my opinion...... I know some love it but it doesn't do anything for me.... To each his own enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
The dealer did that. The soft top should have been in a box, at least that's how I've seen them!
Sorry to disagree, but the boxes contain the mounting hardware, door frames and the soft windows. That "bag" is around the actual soft top that comes mounted from Jeep, not the dealer.

To OP, yes to get the soft top off you will have to take the hardtop off to get to the bracket mounting points. Invite a friend over, remove screws and lift it off _ about 90lbs for the top, just ackward to move by yourself. Good luck :wavey:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Get friendly with your owner's material (DVD, Owner Guide etc.). They specifically tell you to remove one of the tops right away as the soft top is there for shipping only and is not to be used under the hard top. They say that leaving both as shipped or in the installed mode will cause wear on the soft top which will not be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
339 Posts
yup hardtop must come off to remove the softtop from the jeep, really only a bummer the first time, especially if you are planning on leaving the hard top on at the end of the process. I took the soft top off today 5-10min(done alone), and put the hardtop on for fall/winter a friend helped and it took all of another 5-10 min.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Get friendly with your owner's material (DVD, Owner Guide etc.). They specifically tell you to remove one of the tops right away as the soft top is there for shipping only and is not to be used under the hard top. They say that leaving both as shipped or in the installed mode will cause wear on the soft top which will not be covered under warranty.
To the OP: Don't forget to read the BIG ORANGE STICKER wrapped around the soft top while you're at it!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks folks...yes I found out that was in fact done by Jeep as you indicated. I did remover the big orange sticker:) Got my torx kit and will remove top this weekend. Looks pretty easy to do.

Thanks everyone !!!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Be careful when you take the hard top off. They are very back heavy. It seems the rear window weighs as much as the rest of the top does.

·
Registered
339 Posts
i use a few pieces(on each side) of the blue painters(easy off masking tape) to hold window closed when you take it off, so it doesnt flop open when you lean it back. i also built this like some others

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/hardtop-storage-dolly-plans-28539.html

when you put the top back on i take the tape off and open the window so it doesnt have to be lifted high enough to go over the spare tire.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks folks...yes I found out that was in fact done by Jeep as you indicated. I did remover the big orange sticker:) Got my torx kit and will remove top this weekend. Looks pretty easy to do.

Thanks everyone !!!
Just wondering How many boxes of hardware came with your dual top
option?
mine only had one box with windows, looks like I'm missing some parts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It came with three boxes. I removed the hard top and took out the soft top yesterday. It was making trips to the store very inconvenient. That soft top was sitting right in the middle of the darn trunk---good grief. The hard top was simple to remove...took about 10 minutes. The soft top unbolted and came right out.

Yes...I removed the orange sticker. The pic you see above was taken 10 minutes after I drove the vehicle home:) I wasn't driving around with a big orange sticker in the window. But, the soft top is now safely in the basement waiting for Spring.

·
Registered
380 Posts
SylvanSahara said:
fyi you will need a #25(for the 4 soft top screws) and #40 Torx(for the 8 hard top screws) i use a ratchet with those sizes
#30 for soft top screws... I did mine last night, and 25 almost stripped one.

#40 is correct! :)

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Nadurra said:
It came with three boxes. I removed the hard top and took out the soft top yesterday. It was making trips to the store very inconvenient. That soft top was sitting right in the middle of the darn trunk---good grief. The hard top was simple to remove...took about 10 minutes. The soft top unbolted and came right out.

Yes...I removed the orange sticker. The pic you see above was taken 10 minutes after I drove the vehicle home:) I wasn't driving around with a big orange sticker in the window. But, the soft top is now safely in the basement waiting for Spring.
3 boxes? Mine only came with two... Now I need to check them out!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts