Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how many people like myself actually bought their Rubicon to use it primarily off road. I am pretty impressed what the Rubicon is capable of in stock form--when compared to my 82 CJ. Though in it's stock form it can't go everywhere the CJ goes--- it will get you further then you think and with a lot more comfort. As a starting package I do not think there is a better toy you can buy. Hence my question ---about why buy a Rubicon--especially if you never get to see what it can do if you got the nads to put it there. It always makes me laugh a bit when I see a jeep cruising down the interstate at 75 miles an hour with street tires on it--kinda brings a tear to my eye.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I live in CO and the trails are rocks. I live in one of the few states where it actually makes sense.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've put more miles on my Rubicon off road than I have on road. That's impressive considering I live in LA!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had three CJs and my JKR will go everywhere my CJs would go and a lot more comfortably. I think the JKs are much stronger mechanically, more reliable, and more off road capable in stock form. The only thing I don't like about the JKs is the thinner sheet metal and too many electronics.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I bought a rubicon cause I wanted one

·
Banned
379 Posts
I just ordered one for a true second vehicle, 90% for off-road, 10% on sundays when I can't drive company car. I drive a dealer car and I need a personal vehicle for a year because I got into a little trouble. What better vehicle to buy?

·
Registered
106 Posts
These threads always make me laugh. Its the place where everyone tries to say how much they off road. Unless you have more money than you know what to do with, I am suspicious of anyone who says they drive more miles off road than on. Most I suspect are like me and it's a daily driver. This is my third Wrangler, and the first I have bought new. I knew I am keeping this one forever and wanted it with all the options from the factory to make it as capable as possible. I will be the first to admit I don't have many opportunities to take it off road now. When my kids get a little older I will, and I will have everything I need/want in a Jeep.

By the way, can someone explain why Colorado is the only state it makes sense to have one? I've seen several guys here in the Midwest use lockers quite often.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got mine because I didn't want to have to regear, install aftermarket lockers, and to have stronger axles.
In my prepurchase research I decided that the biggest tire I want to run is a 35 with at most a 3-3.5in lift.

There are other perks over a Sport S- sway bar disco will keep your hands clean if you need to flex on the trail, the 110v outlet is only on Rubis and Saharas, and the wheel and tire combo is worth a little more in the classifieds.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually bought mine because I wanted something I could use off road that did not beat me to death like a lifted CJ. With the pavement in the state of Maine ending 17 miles north of me I have no doubt it will spend considerable more time on dirt then asphalt.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Bought mine because I wanted lockers and the rims/tires. I also spend a lot of time in Northern Maine and like having the ability to lock axles as needed, frozen roads when you drive in on a spring day might not be firm when you leave....4 wheels digging is better than 2 regardless of what the Sport/Sahara guys say :pop:

I also figured if I wanted it and I was paying for it why not...even if I don't live in Colorado so it doesn't make any sense.:rofl:

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had purchased and modded an XJ before. It was lifted (RE lift), rear lunchbox, ford rear disc conversion, SYE, TW shaft, front sawybar QD, regeared to 4.56, 32" bfg mts (the older ones) and some other stuff.

It was nice and capable, but I had always wanted a Wranger.

So when it came time to get one, I knew what I wanted, what I need, and what I was willing to do later.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I like the way the 10A looks in the mall parking lot...

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Why did I buy a Rubi? I wanted to build something this time that I could do a little bit of everything in this time around since I planed on doing a build that I was lookjng at spending 5 years or so on and a budget of..... well a lot.

A 4 door Rubicon fit the bill for the first part of the build ( the stage it is in now) the next stage involves all the parts getting swaped out into something else when I upgrade the parts in my JK. So the whole " dummy, you should have bought a sport if you plan on swaping out all the parts in your Rubi anyways" speach just makes me laugh.

Since my lift I have put 25k on it. Done close to 30 5of5s/ black diamonds countless 3's 4's and what ever colours, sand dunes, even though I hate it I have done some mud, also got in some nasty hill climbs, hauled ass across the dessert in California, crossed a few rivers, climed a few water falls, some that actually were flowing, and today I took it twice threw the drive threw at Starbucks. That is why I baught/built a Rubicon.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I bought a rubi because desiel was expensive and I was looking for a gas alternative for work. I crush rock and often was offroad exploring new rock quarry's . especially boundaries and such. No roads. Just looking for markers alone in the middle of nowhere. So the lockers were huge to me.
The typical vehicle of choice most often seen is the ford explorer. Pretty much the standard in my business.

I looked at those and an fj which I almost bought and on a fluke checked out the rubi. So I bought it for the lockers.

Holy cow if I only knew the can of worms I opened.

Sometimes your life takes a turn without you even realizing it.

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
I bought a rubi-

- because its better to have one and not need it, then need one and not have it.

Snow, rocks, sand, my truck walks over anything in its path.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Got a good deal on mine and its the best jeep you can get. Haven't done anything extreme with it but once I'm comfortable I will

1 - 20 of 169 Posts