Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Why diesel?

8K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  ranjr 
#1 ·
To start with I wanna say am 40 something and have owned sports cars most of my life, so have NO experience with jeeps... dont even really know any one who owns one.

My next car willl be a jeep wrangler Unlimited. I plan to buy in about 4 or so months.

I keep hearing about a Diesel version coming out.. supposedly in 6 to 9 months. But I wonder why I would care (beyond the fact it is a jeep). I understand this is totally hypothetical so answer in genreal terms.

would it give more HPs? In a car more HPs makes your car "more faster-er".. but you don't race jeeps so beyond a general more responsiveness why more Hps?

better gas mileage? Diesel gas is more expensive than regular unleaded but maybe the nature of a diesel will make the bulk of a wrangler more efficient.

More torque? In a car more torque usually means better acceleration from a dead stop.. but again you are not trying to race. I could see where the torque might be useful when trying to crawl up a large rock or something.

More towing capacity? I am not sure people use their jeeps to tow with much.. not sure I have ever seen a jeep going down the interstate with a huge boat behind it.. maybe if you had a diesel you could tow more?

See less See more
#3 ·
Imagine 100 lbs/ft more torque (!) than the 3.6L V6. Imagine that all that torque happens at 1,800 RPM where your cruising speed is, instead of 4,000 RPM. Imagine that in addition to that you're getting 26 miles per gallon. And finally, the engine sounds so beautiful that you could listen to it all day long.

That was real life with my 2005 Jeep Liberty CRDs. In the Wrangler Unlimited, it would be even better.

#25 ·
Agree with everything except diesel sound. To each his own but if you think a diesel sounds better than a gas V-single-flat-anything you are off your rocker.

Diesel sound vs. any of the following, the diesel loses.

Single cylinder four stroke mx bike.

Single cylinder two stroke mx bike.

Ducati V-twin. Among the best in the business.

Jap sportbike inline four. The only four cylinders that sound good.

Never heard a 6 of any flavor I liked. Not a Jag, BMW or 911. Certainly not a domestic or Japanese V-6, but still better than diesel.

V-8. None sound bad but some better than others.

V-10 Gallardo . . . musical

V-12 anything . . . I.C.E. Nirvana

A diesel is a work engine, not a play engine. The only exception would be a jeep. Every other installation is commercial/industrial where they need low operating speeds. Even most of the guys I know with diesel 3/4 ton trucks only tow 5,000 pounds. I am no lefty who will ever tell anyone what to drive so if you want to rock a coal-burner go for it! :thumbsup:

Apart from towing 10,000 pounds which I'll never do, I'll take gas any day. Diesel doesn't cost less to buy, it costs more. A diesel engine upgrade in a 3/4 ton truck costs 7,000. Fuel economy is offset in large part by the higher cost of fuel. Maintenance is way more money and for so many people diesel won't justify itself on cost alone. Now if that is what you WANT to have for FUN I understand.

NC

#4 ·
We won't see a diesel in a wrangler in the near future. The Grand will get the 3.0L, and rumors of the Ram 1500 at a later date. As it is, there seem to be issues with the front axle bending, I don't thinking dropping in a engine that weighs a quite a bit more will happen without first upgrading the front end.

I have a 2012 4dr .Auto, 4.5" lift, 37 KM2's, AEV front bumper, 9.5 cti-s winch 4.56 gears. Here in Colorado Springs at an elevation of 6000' I think the thing runs pretty darn good, but the torque of a diesel would be welcome.

#5 ·
It's not as if Jeep doesn't already do a Diesel Wrangler...they do. Here in the US there is the issue of cost - not just of the fuel, but of the inevitably 6000 dollar more expensive Diesel engine option. The cost of fuel and the engine generally mean that it's not so much a practical choice as a performance or enthusiast's choice. After all, think of the number of people on this forum who flip their Jeeps more often than some people change their clothes - if you need to drive the Jeep 10 years before the better efficiency makes up for the cost, you'll lose money on the Diesel option every one to three years like clock work.

Also, don't get wrapped up on HP v. Torque - look at the 2012 Truck of the Year Comparo that...darn, who was it...4Wheeler (?) did. Dodge Power Wagon, Dodge Megacab Diesel and Ford something or other. The Power Wagon had the most horsepower by a lot...and was the slowest of the three. I tried making this point in another thread - peak HP doesn't matter, your cumulative HP in the engine operating range you actually use is what matters. Engines with lots of torque down low tend to be a lot more user friendly, particularly in day to day driving because they make more power where people actually use it...and, in some cases, make enough Torque/Power down low to move a heavier vehicle more rapidly than a lighter, more powerful vehicle (as in the 2012 TOTY comparo).

There's always engineering issues - how well does the engine fit the current components, what do the emissions looks like, does it require additional equipment or modification to alter any aspect of its performance (esp. emissions), etc.

That said, I know this - a well designed/chosen Diesel engine would very likely make every aspect of my Jeep's performance better - and that's something I'd like. After all, who doesn't want a faster, more efficient, easier to drive, better towing, better climbing vehicle?

#6 ·
You are clueless about the merits of Diesel engines, three words : torque and fuel economy, engine longevity. Even with slightly more expensive fuel you go way longer with a tank of diesel fuel.
Here is a "sports car" with Diesel engine....why would it have Diesel (won Le Mans BTW) ??

#7 ·
You are clueless about the merits of Diesel engines, three words : torque and fuel economy, engine longevity. Even with slightly more expensive fuel you go way longer with a tank of diesel fuel.
Here is a sports car with Diesel engine....why would it have Diesel (won Le Mans BTW) ??

I am clueless about them.. I have never owned a truck, diesel or otherwise. The jeep is the first truck I have ever even considered. so I ask fairly dumb questions about them. I am clueless about trucks in general actually.

I can speak moderatly intelegently about performance cars with small turbo engines. My Mazdaspeed 3 does just undre 300hp at the wheels, dyno tested.

The answers here have been very helpful. Thank you all.

#8 ·
My opinions on diesels. Sound like crap for one, I hate black smoke, I have pulled several out trying to offroad(being heavier they tend to sink around here), don't really need with right gears, most people bragging on fuel economy usually not as good as they say. Seen gas engines last longer. Expensive to fix.

Now the for arguments, great for things staying on pavement, good for pulling, good for rockcrawler because of torque, and great for water fording since they are not reliant on plug wires.

#9 ·
diesel

:dance:hi, I think the diesel will be in the Grand Chorkee some time next year,
however not in the wangler for a year past that point, Getting late and I can't
type anymore, have a good evening, the present 3.6 with stick or auto is a great
combo worth checking out...:thumb::thumb:

#10 ·
I traded in my 2006 Ram Cummins on my new JK to sort of down size and get back to a Jeep again. My wife has a 2012 Ram with the hemi. No comparison the Diesel pulled our small camper better, got better fuel mileage and had loads more torque. The CTD trucks hold their value and it worked out for me on my trade. Diesel was always lower cost than gas until I swear the day I bought my truck.

The down side to a modern Diesel is that the reputation of reliability and cost savings are not what they used to be. The old reliable mechanical injection has been replaced with electronics that have increased power but at the cost of mpg and reliability. Given the choice I would take an old mechanical injected Diesel with less power .It will last longer and get better mpg. I would imagine any new Diesel that could wind up in the Jeep line would be a modern electronic injection with gobs of power but a short life span. Granted I never had any issues with my Cummins but fuel milage was 21 mpg at best . Unless you are towing heavy there is no good reason to go with a Diesel unless they get the mpg way up to the point its worth the extra cost or Diesel comes back down to where its once again an advantage .

Some advantages of gas .They warm up much quicker in the winter. My CTD would take a good 20 minutes to get warm enough to defrost the windows.

With gas I will buy it most anywhere and not worry about ruining a very expensive set of injectors. I was always very very particular about where I would buy fuel as the Cummins injection is very picky about good clean water free fuel.I also forbid my wife or kids to fuel up the truck for fear of them putting gas in it and ruining the motor or injection system. With the Jeep no worries.

It comes down to the simplicity of the gas engine. I dont worry about it . I just get in and drive.With the Diesel it felt like I was always on my guard and baby sitting it. I am more than happy with this 3.6 and the auto. It is very zippy and seems to be as good on gas as any 4x4 I have owned.

#11 ·
First, people need to realize we're not talking about a ginormous pickup-truck based diesel engine and all that goes with it (weight, cost, etc...)

We are talking about a SMALL diesel engine platform with a SMALL diesel engine.

Whoever said they don't like diesel because they were sick of pulling them out after getting stuck for being too heavy, yes, that might be true if we're talking a huge 6.7 liter in an F250 but we're talking 2.8 liter 4-banger in a short wheelbase Jeep. Two totally different animals.

AND, this also goes for the cost of the diesel motor. On the same F250 platform I just mentioned its true, that option if like $7000+. BUT, how much is the diesel option say on a VW Jetta/Passat/Golf??? Try more like less than $1500. Same for the diesel options in the BMW line.

I drove a 2000 VW Jetta TDI 1.9L diesel and it only cost me $1100 extra for the diesel option, got 44mpg consistently in the city, 55mpg+ hwy only had 90hp but 155lb feet and you could feel it. That HP number is nothing, useless, garbage. This thing was a blast around town, sooooo much more fun than my GTI with 200hp. Also, at highway speeds that thing would accelerate like nobody's business because you were always right in the RPM range where all the torque was. It was great car, loved it. Also, the thing only gave the smallest hint of black smoke after years of ownership and a clogged intake manifold. Otherwise the thing didn't smoke.

So in conclusion:

1. We're not talking huge truck diesel, so get that out of your head
2. See number one and realize this will NOT be a huge truck based diesel of old.
3. New diesels don't smoke (mostly)
4. Lots of torque where you need it, when you need it.
5. AAAAHHHHH-mazing MPG (again, this is a small diesel not a huge Powerstroke)
6. Its already being built here, just not sold here so its not like its an untested platform/motor combination.
7. Did I mention its NOT a huge truck based diesel?

#12 ·
As the owner of a 2011 JK Wrangler disel, I would not swap it for anything!
I came from a V8 Discovery, and the JK has more torque and way better fuel economy.
I just drove 240km last night and averaged 8.9L/100km sitting on 110kph.
Sorry its all metric, but I'm sure you can do the maths.
No smoke and yes it sounds like a diesel with a bit of a rattle, but who cares! I've dragged off a number of cars at traffic lights and they are more than surprised when this yellow brick leaves them standing!
GO DIESEL!

#13 ·
Low end torque makes it easier to off road. The torque makes the wheels turn and when you in a tough spot where you want to go super slow but still have the tires turning, torque comes in handy.

I disagree, at least for my area that it will save in gas. Yes diesels tend to get better gas mileage but around here diesel fuel is a lot higher. Fuel prices will wash out fuel economy.

#14 ·
HP doesn't mean didly at 3 mph on a gnarly hill with rocks and stumps in your way.
Low-end grunt, articulation, and gears get you through.

My buddy only has 150 hp in his 14,000 pound Mog but has torque a-plenty, portals, and gearing that lets him idle over obstacles that my Jeep and PW have to winch over.

Damn Mogs...

#16 ·
New Diesels do NOT Smoke. They have cats and particle filters in their exhaust to do away with that.

I have a 2011 VW Golf TDI with almost 30,000 miles on it. The exhaust pipe is almost as clean as the day it left the factory. My running average with this car is 41.7 MPG in the 30k miles I've had it with some of the best being well into the mid 40's.

When I received my e-mail survey from Chrysler back in August after my purchase of my latest Jeeps, the survey was heavily slanted towards a Diesel Wrangler. I followed their lead and gave them good honest answers. Would I buy one? I sure would. I love my current Jeep, but I would trade and upgrade it in a tick of a heartbeat if there were a Diesel option. The ONLY thing I would want would be for them to include heated seats in that vehicle as standard equipment. It take a long time for a Diesel to heat up in the cooler months, so the heated seats need to be there.

#17 ·
We lived over seas for a few years and drove a VW Passat diesel. The thing was fantastic and would get 600 miles on a single tank. I eagerly await the diesel in the Jeeps, as it is would be a great feature to have in such an awesome vehicle. I also own a Ford F250 7.3 diesel and find it to be a very reliable Truck.

#18 ·
One more thing about a Diesel in a Jeep. While great for supr low speed and crawling over rocks a diesel does not have the rpms for mud. Someone mentioned pulling heavy diesel pick up trucks from the mud. It is true they are heavy but from experience in the mud a gas can wrap up rpms much faster and much higher and get the tires spinning to over come the mud when you cant afford to shift. Where a diesel is slow to come up to speed and max rpms are much lower letting you sink in the mud.In a nut shell wheel speed and how quick you can get it is where it is at in the mud.

#20 ·

This is a bit old thread, but I feel moved to answer. Here are the reasons that I want a diesel in a Wrangler. I don't think it will happen as the management is to stupid to realize what a good fit it would be. I've been waiting because I don't have the time and resources to put a replacement diesel in myself.

First: Fuel Economy and Range. It is well known, the extra cost of diesel is more than offset by the extra fuel economy. The overall cost per mile, excluding the extra purchase cost for a diesel engine is lower. I keep vehicles a long time, so the cost of a diesel motor is not important to me. I do like the savings at the pump and the general longevity of of diesel motors. My idea of going off road means going where there are no service stations, and I don't want to worry about running out of fuel in unfamilar areas. I would install a larger primary fuel tank and remove the rear seat and also install a second tank in the bed. So the combination of larger fuel capacity and better fuel economy multiply together for fantastic range.

Second: Safety. Gasoline is explosive. Diesel is not. Carrying a large supply of fuel mandates the use of diesel.

Third: Performance and reliability. I like the torque. A diesel pulls off the line, for the first 10 feet or so, better than anything. I also find diesels to be more reliable. As long as the batteries are kept charged, they just run and run and run.

Fourth: General use. I like exploring and plowing. Exploring is mostly done on logging roads. I don't like to get stuck which is why Wranglers appeal to me. Plowing is a winter sport for me, and a short wheelbase Jeep's tight turning radius works for plowing in difficult situations. Adding bigger fuel tanks in the back also offsets the weight of the plow.

Fifth: Flexibility in fuel choice. In an emergency I can burn new or used motor oil, vegitable oil, fuel oil, biodiesel, or even gasoline in small quantities. Do you remember the gas crunch in 1972? I don't want to be waiting in long lines for fuel. Finally, I want to be able to buy fuel where it is cheaper, like Arizona instead of California when I travel west. Here in Connecticut people were driving here from New York for fuel when hurricane Sandy hit--this went on for weeks.

#27 ·
Why diesel? Ask yourself why are Semi's diesel? Longer engine life. Yes, i have a relative with a hilux diesel, done over 400000km. Engine has not been touched exept services. More tourque. Yes, look at the weight a semi can pull at low revs.
If you look after a diesel engine it will last longer than a petrol. Why do you think all large industrial machenery has a diesel engine in it. May cost a bit morre for fuel, but that cost is outwayed buy the longer life.
In australia we can buy them diesel. Don't understand why you can't.

#29 ·
ohioviper said:
I traded in my 2006 Ram Cummins on my new JK to sort of down size and get back to a Jeep again. My wife has a 2012 Ram with the hemi. No comparison the Diesel pulled our small camper better, got better fuel mileage and had loads more torque. The CTD trucks hold their value and it worked out for me on my trade. Diesel was always lower cost than gas until I swear the day I bought my truck.

The down side to a modern Diesel is that the reputation of reliability and cost savings are not what they used to be. The old reliable mechanical injection has been replaced with electronics that have increased power but at the cost of mpg and reliability. Given the choice I would take an old mechanical injected Diesel with less power .It will last longer and get better mpg. I would imagine any new Diesel that could wind up in the Jeep line would be a modern electronic injection with gobs of power but a short life span. Granted I never had any issues with my Cummins but fuel milage was 21 mpg at best . Unless you are towing heavy there is no good reason to go with a Diesel unless they get the mpg way up to the point its worth the extra cost or Diesel comes back down to where its once again an advantage .

Some advantages of gas .They warm up much quicker in the winter. My CTD would take a good 20 minutes to get warm enough to defrost the windows.

With gas I will buy it most anywhere and not worry about ruining a very expensive set of injectors. I was always very very particular about where I would buy fuel as the Cummins injection is very picky about good clean water free fuel.I also forbid my wife or kids to fuel up the truck for fear of them putting gas in it and ruining the motor or injection system. With the Jeep no worries.

It comes down to the simplicity of the gas engine. I dont worry about it . I just get in and drive.With the Diesel it felt like I was always on my guard and baby sitting it. I am more than happy with this 3.6 and the auto. It is very zippy and seems to be as good on gas as any 4x4 I have owned.
I too owned an '06 Megacab Cummins. I would entertain the option of a diesel in the Wrangler but would also hesitate on my previous experience which sounds much like yours.

The torque is nice BUT it isn't instantaneous. As with any turbo vehicle, the size of the turbo must be large enough to provide enough air at peek power levels. This is extremely important in a diesel motor it achieve needed power levels. The 5.9 Cummins didn't have a huge turbo but it was large and had some lag.

I encourage anyone with doubts to go test drive a diesel and perform one simple test. Pull the front tires up against a curb, even a small curb will work, and try to drive over it. Concentrate on how much throttle is needed to go over a simple curb. Now do the same test in an equivalent gas model.

Report back with your results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.