Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1992, Jeep Wrangler YJ, Manual 4.0L - Work in Progress!
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I work through the new to me Jeep, I am replacing the non-functioning radio and when I pull it out, I notice TONS of wiring that honestly, doesn't seem to belong to the normal harness. My thoughts are it is from an old alarm since it looks like a proximity sensor, etc. But there are three inline fuses, and probably about 15 or so extra wires. I am using the guides here to separate the wiring from what the stereo SHOULD include, but that doesn't even seem to match correctly.

Am I to assume the ONLY wiring that should be in the area of the head unit is the stereo wiring, and possibly the lighter?

I can take pics when I get home, but I'm not sure it would be all that great. Searching has turned up the stock colors but even that seems a little off with my 92.

Some of the wiring also seems to kick back towards the steering column into a long block about 10 wires wide.

HOT MESS, but if someone could just let me know what should be in the area, that would help or point me to a better diagram. Haynes manual isn't the best that's for sure. Thanks all!!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
What year? I have a small wiring harness there. For the radio, you should have two power wires, one to the battery and one to the ignition, usually fuse box. Then eight wires for speakers, a coaxial antenna cable, and a ground. Maybe you'll have a dimmer switch or remote wire. The wiring run to the tail lights is on the driver side, so the passenger side should be pretty bare.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, added a signature finally, since I completely forgot! Anyway, it's 92 4.0L Base model, no AC etc, so I didn't except all inline fuses. I think I have the hack job separated for the stereo wiring, it appears the speakers may have been cut at some point. No worries there as I need to remove/replace anyway.

I'll get a few pics in a bit.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
The 92 has the newer style dash. You only should have one plug going into the instrument cluster. Are there any switches or other doo-dads in your Jeep (besides alarm)? Maybe someone ran some lights to a switch.

Since it's a security alarm, it should be run directly to the battery for constant power. Trace wiring through the firewall into the Jeep.

When I ripped out my wiring, I ran one 10 gauge wire into a switch panel, so I only have to run accessory wires out. It cuts the wires in half.

As for the radio wiring, you should only have the wires I listed. Speaker wire is usually double stranded wire. Pull out the dash and radio and look at what's hooked up to it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took some pics..

Here is what I came up with..These are the pics from the stereo area. One is obviously the "normal" harness. It looks like it may have been cut at one point and reattached. No issues there, I will test for voltage, etc. Not worried about doing that kind of wiring.

The other pics appear to be from a previous alarm, but I don't see any alarm module or anything in the vehicle, outside of what appears to be the proximity sensor. I had one in a previous TJ back in 97. But I can't 100% confirm this. Seeing 3 inline fuses makes me a little skeptical.

Next post will be what I see under the steering column.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Under the column

Hot mess!!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some of that is definitely not factory. Looks to me to be part of an aftermarket alarm system. I really hate those things. Yours may be tied into some sort of vehicle immobilizer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing snips, tape, ties, and some heat shrink can't take care of. It appears the Alarm unit isn't anywhere to be found so I just need to make sure I track down the odd ball wires before I cut it all out.

I don't like seeing the taps connected to the harness under the steering column, that's where I cringe a bit.

Needless to say it looks as if at one point all the speaker wires were cut, even to the sound bar, so I will just rewire, easy fix, and probably figure out a way to add some interior lights at the same time since I have none. Even the rear hard top light doesn't work!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Looks like the dastardly work of several PO's. ( previous owners )

I had a similar issue in another Jeep vehicle.

Instead of spending $25 and getting the " plug and play " stereo manufacturer to Jeep wiring harness adapter the PO decided to hack off the Jeep OEM harness connect and hardwire his POS stereo into the harness.

I had to go to a junkyard and whack off an OEM harness connector and wire it back in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Based on the wiring

It looks like that is exactly what happened at one point. Harness was cut, and then spliced back in so a METRA part could be used. Honestly, I don't care about that part, it's just the damn extra wires :) I'm already working on getting interior lights, and the switches cleaned up. They are hit and miss, nothing a little brush and some electrical cleaner can't fix

1 - 12 of 12 Posts