Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Overland Expo East this past weekend and camped on site. I wanted to open my locked Jeep door without the headlights coming on and shining on other campers. So I used the key to open my driver's door. Both times the alarm went off. My brother just tested his Jeep last night and it did the same with the passenger door. Why would the alarm go off if you open the door with the key?

·
Registered
4 Jeep family
298 Posts
By design. Got to remember the doors can be removed, and they didn’t add wiring to the door cylinders that disarms the alarm (would be easy for someone to short out the correct pins when doors are removed).

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. So either I light up the next camp or wake them up with the alarm. :)

Next question, any way to set it not to turn the headlights on when you hit the remote unlock?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Interesting. So either I light up the next camp or wake them up with the alarm. :)

Next question, any way to set it not to turn the headlights on when you hit the remote unlock?

That is something that can be changed using the OBD JScan app.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I went to the Overland Expo East this past weekend <snip>

BTW, how was the Expo? I wanted to go, since it is close by for me, but I ended up riding an ambulance both Saturday and Sunday instead.

·
Registered
4 Jeep family
298 Posts
If you have EVIC, can be done through the cluster. Without EVIC, can be done via the remote and button sequence, or as mentioned above (with OBD2 app).

On both JKU rentals I got over the last year, first parking lot away from the rental company, I had the horn chirp disabled via remote. Google is your friend (or the owner’s manual).

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, how was the Expo? I wanted to go, since it is close by for me, but I ended up riding an ambulance both Saturday and Sunday instead.
It was very good. Great weather, i.e. no mud this year. I have camped for the last two but not at the Expo. This year I camped on site and really enjoyed walking camp and seeing all the rigs. Really, you could just have a show with people setup and answering questions about their personal setup. Maybe next year I will pay the extra and take some of the classes.

I did get to meet several YouTubers I follow.

In the attached photo, the grey Jeep is mine and the orange Jeep is my brother's. I have a Gazelle tent and CVT shower tent. Both worked very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have EVIC, can be done through the cluster. Without EVIC, can be done via the remote and button sequence, or as mentioned above (with OBD2 app).

On both JKU rentals I got over the last year, first parking lot away from the rental company, I had the horn chirp disabled via remote. Google is your friend (or the owner’s manual).
Thanks, will figure out how to get it changed. I do have the horn chirp disabled but didn't notice anything about the headlights. But will go through the settings again.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
just use your key to lock the door instead of remote. your remote activates the alarm. easy peasy

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thanks, will figure out how to get it changed. I do have the horn chirp disabled but didn't notice anything about the headlights. But will go through the settings again.
Under personal settings: turn both off should get what you are wanting, I think?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
just use your key to lock the door instead of remote. your remote activates the alarm. easy peasy

I got a spare transponder key and went to get it cut at the local hardware store. Guy cutting the key used a plain blank to make sure the cut was right and sent me out to try it before he cut the transponder key. The key worked fine and the alarm went off so I went back in the store to get my key back to disable the alarm BUT the key was still chucked up in the machine and the guy was talking to another customer, big drawn out story and I didn't want to interrupt so I stood there awhile as a large group of people started gathering around us.:bop:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I went to the Overland Expo East this past weekend and camped on site. I wanted to open my locked Jeep door without the headlights coming on and shining on other campers. So I used the key to open my driver's door. Both times the alarm went off. My brother just tested his Jeep last night and it did the same with the passenger door. Why would the alarm go off if you open the door with the key?
Believe it or not, that design is a good thing- not in your situation, but in the grand scheme of things.

If turning the key in the lock cylinder de-armed the alarm, so would a screwdriver inserted by a thief in place of the key. Years ago, many VWs were built that way, and forcing the door lock with something other than the key conveniently (to the thief at least) disarmed the factory alarm in the process.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts