Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The various suspension kits brag about the bushings in their control arms. Johnny Joints, fancy high flex joints like MetalCloak's Duroflex or Clayton's Giiro Joint.

The lower control arms and track bars have two bushings. The upper control arms have one. The other is on the mounts on the axle.

However none of the kits seem to replace the axle side bushings, although on some Wranglers they are probably heavily worn. There are videos of them falling apart when replaced.

Most seem to replace them with bushings similar to or specifically OEM.

Why don't the kits include flexible joints for this application? Do Wrangler owners put flexible joints there? If so, what joints are typically used?

Thanks,

David

Part number 2:

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
As mentioned, there are a few companies out there that make axle side upper control arm bushings for the front axle that flex more than stock.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Add metalcloak to the list, they have an offering as well. The reason you don't see those offered with the lift kits is they require special tools to install and some offerings require welding. They don't want to make that a detractor from sales. But I'll be totally honest. It's all BS till you have more than 10" of shock travel. OEM clevite is perfectly happy to deal with that. Though it might wear out faster if you subject them to it on a weekly basis. Once you pass the 10" travel mark different style bushings really shine at the extremes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MetalCloak (https://metalcloak.com/front-duroflex-weld-on-bracket-and-axle-bushing-kit-jk.html) is a press fit to the diff, but requires a weld-on on the passenger side. I'm guessing that is because the OE passenger side may crush otherwise. I would have just added a spacer.

The real big difference comes when serious welding starts. This would have seemed to be something that doesn't require welding. It must be a service procedure for all of the Jeeps because bushings wear out with age.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts