Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The disconnected front of my Jeep pretty much floats over rocks and bumps, but I seriously feel that shit on the back wheels. What's bad about disconnecting the rear? I bet the ride off road would be SUPER smooth. Is there a problem with over-flexing or something?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The rear sway bar is much smaller diameter than the front so the stiffness is much less. You can still completely stuff your wheel with the rear sway attached. Front and rear suspension allows for different amount of travel. The front discos are there to keep the tires in contact with the ground so you can control it.

You can disconnect the rear sway to get higher articulation as long as you are literally crawling because the roll stiffness will be greatly reduced.

For a really smoother ride your need independent suspension front and rear i.e. Range Rover. Then you won't even spill your coffee. :)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
From what I gather, the rear articulates pretty well and the rear bar is a smaller diameter. I also think the body would do some pretty weird things without one axle resisting the other to some extent. I'm sure someone has a better explanation.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I completely removed the rear sway bar while installing my RK x-factor lift and haven't looked back. It rides fine and stability hasn't been an issue at any speed. Of course it was a 1.5" lift so it might be more of an issue with a taller lift.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I completely removed the rear sway bar while installing my RK x-factor lift and haven't looked back. It rides fine and stability hasn't been an issue at any speed. Of course it was a 1.5" lift so it might be more of an issue with a taller lift.
Taller lifts no issues.
I've ran 4" with 37s w/out it
Current setup is 40s with 6" w/no issues.
As of now due to work mines seeing way more road than offroad.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Taller lifts no issues.
I've ran 4" with 37s w/out it
Current setup is 40s with 6" w/no issues.
As of now due to work mines seeing way more road than offroad.
To each their own but it is not advisable. It highly impacts the handling and dynamics of the Jeep. It's importance may only become obvious at the worse possible time (Murphy's Law applies).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Woot! Two ppl in this thread ride with no rear sway bar. Sorry spinlock. I'm taking mine off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's a jeep not a sports car. If your going around curves like your in a corvette or Porsche I would advise not lifting it or running bigger tires & keep you rear swaybar.

I say take it off keep it and run without it for a month & if it " highly impacts the handling ". Put it back on. You will never know as some people don't unless you give it a shot.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sway bars are not just for cornering at high speeds like a corvette.

The rear sway bar does little by itself when flexing, but on the street, flexing (if any) is not the only force or motion it will be subject to. You will also have fluctuations side to side, which the bar helps control or reduce their longevity in combination with the front. In other words, it does help if you need to swerve to evade someone or something at a speed.

There is a difference in dynamics between flexing axles against a rock or uneven terrain and having body roll on the road with both tires, or the axle for that matter, on the same plane.

Woot! Two ppl in this thread ride with no rear sway bar. Sorry spinlock. I'm taking mine off.
If so, be considerate with others and drive slower and softer. Also, if you ever get in an unstable situation with the jeep and end up either hitting something or someone, or, partially or fully rolling over, whether the rear sway bar would have made a difference or not, insurance wont be there for you if they notice no rear sway bar (which they most likely will), and chrysler will back them up.

If you want to disconnect it offroading, disconnect it. There is no need to remove it entirely... Just because you dont feel any difference driving to the supermarket without a rear sway bar, doesnt mean it wont play a part in the suspension setup.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
insurance wont be there for you if they notice no rear sway bar (which they most likely will), and chrysler will back them up.
This myth is false. I challenge you to find the sway-bar condition in your insurance policy.

·
Registered
574 Posts
This myth is false. I challenge you to find the sway-bar condition in your insurance policy.
You dont need to challenge me, because I know there isnt one. Why? because insurance policies are not a detailed scheme of parts in a vehicle. In other words, you may not see a lug nut condition, or third brake light condition, or side mirror condition, or roll bar condition, or horn condition, or brake pad condition, or spare tire condition. Its more like, whether the vehicle has key modifications that go against manufacturer's safety parameters. Surely, a lift could be argued that it alters driveability. But for reasonable safety, removing stabilizing parts is, removing a brake pad is, running without headlights at night is, running without air bags is, running without seat belts. When they try to determine who is at fault or cause and how damages will be calculated, negligence is a key aspect. You don't need a specific sway bar condition to be at fault due to negligence. If x was caused by, or produced more damage due to y not being there, then, insurance can simply state a case where they dont have to absorb that liability, because it falls under the non-reasonable person standard. No reasonable person would remove a sway bar, brake pad or lights at night for road driving, or seat belts. At least not in the contiguous US. In the same way, you could argue against liability from a head injury on a rear end hit, causing someone to hit his head on the windshield, due to not wearing a seatbelt. Whether your policy covers stuff like that to you and from you, then that's another story, and no policy is equal. That is something you could in fact, find in your insurance documents.

But tell you what. Its your jeep, you already know the drawbacks and that some people run without it. You want to run without it, remove it. Everyone is happy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Insurance will pay even if you're driving drunk with two sway bars disconnected and one of the wheels removed.

Yes auto policies are pretty much standard.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Insurance will pay even if you're driving drunk with two sway bars disconnected and one of the wheels removed.

Right... remove the damn thing and be done with it Mr. Walmart.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
I can see disconnecting it, but yeah, don't remove it completely unless it's a trailer rig. Even disconnecting it is not needed or more would do it.

Disconnecting the front is a safety concern so that you don't roll. Not an issue with the rear.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
It's a jeep not a sports car. If your going around curves like your in a corvette or Porsche I would advise not lifting it or running bigger tires & keep you rear swaybar.

I say take it off keep it and run without it for a month & if it " highly impacts the handling ". Put it back on. You will never know as some people don't unless you give it a shot.
:) This is not the seventies when anti-sway bars and traction bars were only on pony cars.

Believe or not sway bars are on dozens of vehicles not just cars to improve safety and provide more predictable handling at highway speed, particularly when you have a high CG and owners are changing the relationship to the roll center with lift kits.

The beauty of Freedom is you can do what ever makes you happy including possibly rolling your JK. Why not remove the gas tank skid plate, 4 nuts from each wheel and maybe one of the engine mounts? Nothing will happen, at least for a while. :D

It's great to have choices. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Here is me driving through the woods.
If you skip to 1:45 you can see how much I flex in the rear.
That is with the front sway bar disconnected only.
The obsticals looked a little more challangeing in person then they do on camera for some reason.

JK takes a stroll throught the woods - YouTube

·
Registered
255 Posts

What? In Australia you would have no chance of any insurance company covering you if you took a safety device off your car. And if you were drunk or under the affect of drugs you will be charged by the cops. Even manslaughter if you kill someone. Insurance will not even look at you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts