Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like it says... Why hide your plates in pictures? You drive around all day long, leave them in parking lots and your driveway and everywhere in between yet when you post a pic you cover them up? Might be a dumb question but I just don't know why you do it?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm someone who does this. I even have custom plates that rock, but you won't see them here.

For me, it's simple. People online are odd, they talk with you on forums and social media. They compliment your build, trade advice on parts or whatever. They think they know you.

But plates are a funny thing. It's not to hard to go online and find out registration info. Not too much, but at least name and address.

Yes, there are many very cool people on here. But then some get... weird. Sometimes they message you. Sometimes they message you a lot.

You never know who you're talking to. Maybe they really like your new mod, discover you're close, and decide to come over to check it out. Maybe they think they like you, discover you're close, and decide to come over to check you out.

Either way it's creepy. And could be dangerous. Do you want some random dude coming to your house eyeing your Jeep, or your daughter? Do female Jeepers like me want some random internet stranger showing up at our door?

Yeah, to be honest, some random creep doesn't have much of a chance here. They'd get to know my Glock long before they got to know me. But still, why go through the hassle?

So that's my opinion: For Jeep safety or personal safety, some of us would like to stay a bit more anonymous. So we hide plates. Some don't care, and that's cool for them. I'm protecting what's mine.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
So like it says... Why hide your plates in pictures? You drive around all day long, leave them in parking lots and your driveway and everywhere in between yet when you post a pic you cover them up? Might be a dumb question but I just don't know why you do it?
Why worry about those that hide their plate?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
In my car audio days, it was because for $40 you could do a tag search with address and names. I had about $8K of stereo equipment and living in Omaha and STLouis areas it was not uncommon for the bad guys to go to car audio forums and seek out the loaded cars.

Now with the Jeep, the only thing they would steal is the CB.

·
Super Moderator
23,144 Posts
My plate is too cool to hide.

Reactions: jgraz and RichL35

·
Super Moderator
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm someone who does this. I even have custom plates that rock, but you won't see them here.

For me, it's simple. People online are odd, they talk with you on forums and social media. They compliment your build, trade advice on parts or whatever. They think they know you.

But plates are a funny thing. It's not to hard to go online and find out registration info. Not too much, but at least name and address.

Yes, there are many very cool people on here. But then some get... weird. Sometimes they message you. Sometimes they message you a lot.

You never know who you're talking to. Maybe they really like your new mod, discover you're close, and decide to come over to check it out. Maybe they think they like you, discover you're close, and decide to come over to check you out.

Either way it's creepy. And could be dangerous. Do you want some random dude coming to your house eyeing your Jeep, or your daughter? Do female Jeepers like me want some random internet stranger showing up at our door?

Yeah, to be honest, some random creep doesn't have much of a chance here. They'd get to know my Glock long before they got to know me. But still, why go through the hassle?

So that's my opinion: For Jeep safety or personal safety, some of us would like to stay a bit more anonymous. So we hide plates. Some don't care, and that's cool for them. I'm protecting what's mine.

At least that makes some sense.

Thanks for your viewpoint on this. Being a non creapy guy I don't even consider this..

·
Super Moderator
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why worry about those that hide their plate?
Because I didn't know why they went through the effort to hide theirs.... Maybe I should have been hiding mine and I wanted to know. Lucky for me in this case I don't have the same worries as some. Not being a Jeep Girl like @Phynal, having tons of radio equipment like @WillyD used to have and not worried about anonymity because it's way too late for that. What I need is a cool plate like @jadmt has....

·
Registered
135 Posts

Ive often wondered the EXACT same thing!! Just didn't feel like arguing with people in response. ..and I may have been guilty of this myself, though, I dont know why....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
402 Posts
When I first read the topic, I was thinking about hiding you plates while driving..:)

Yes you have your plate on your ride while you are out and about. But the internet is open to the world, and not everyone is nice. I can see why the audio guys having that much in their cars and not having it wonder off cover their tags.

My nephew had his quad and a few other things stolen off his property cause he didn't cover his plate on his truck when he posted it on a forum. A friend of his was really into the Import scene (fast & furious stuff). He made a really cool and functional body kit for his car. Posted it online and about a month later he came out to his car stripped of just the body kit. This is all down by Atlanta BTW.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I've often wondered about this myself. The same people who cover their tags are still willing to post digital pictures they have taken with their phone that contain even more embedded information about them than you can get from a tag search. Seems like a really false sense of self preservation to me. Absolutely the smallest thing you're willing to put out there can be used against you by nefarious people with an agenda. So if this is a concern for some people they need to start at the beginning and get offline and offgrid or learn to relax.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've often wondered about this myself. The same people who cover their tags are still willing to post digital pictures they have taken with their phone that contain even more embedded information about them than you can get from a tag search. Seems like a really false sense of self preservation to me. Absolutely the smallest thing you're willing to put out there can be used against you by nefarious people with an agenda. So if this is a concern for some people they need to start at the beginning and get offline and offgrid or learn to relax.
You're right, it is possible to find out a lot if you want to. As for pictures, you're talking about the EXIF data. A lot of times, GPS coordinates are in that data.

I strip the EXIF data just like I don't show my plates. Yeah, people may still be able to find me, but it's like locking the door to your Jeep or house. Determined thieves will get what they want, but I'm still not going to hand them my keys.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I cover mine and sometimes wonder why I'm doing it. As mentioned, the plate is visible everywhere you go. On an Internet forum, it is open to the whole word, but who cares if you're in California and someone in New York can obtain your address?

One thing many people aren't aware of is that most phone cameras and tablets have GPS, They often append your exact location inside the JPG images you take. It doesn't matter if you blank out your plate, the GPS info can be easily extracted.

It's something to consider if you post pics from your phone or tablet. https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-how-to-how-to-remove-gps-and-other-metadata-locations-from-photos.html

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
You're right, it is possible to find out a lot if you want to. As for pictures, you're talking about the EXIF data. A lot of times, GPS coordinates are in that data.

I strip the EXIF data just like I don't show my plates. Yeah, people may still be able to find me, but it's like locking the door to your Jeep or house. Determined thieves will get what they want, but I'm still not going to hand them my keys.
I'm not trying to bust your chops. I guess if you're more comfortable this way, feel free, as long as you recognize the futility of the situation.

Actually I would rather debate the shortcomings of your Glock compared to my American made iron. At least you're doing something.:thumb:

·
Registered
487 Posts
This is a good reason for registering your vehicle to a PO Box or mail drop like a UPS store. This is something i learned a long time ago when I was a reserve LEO. My dad was also a fed and he did the same for years.

Reactions: Phynal

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm not trying to bust your chops. I guess if you're more comfortable this way, feel free, as long as you recognize the futility of the situation.

Actually I would rather debate the shortcomings of your Glock compared to my American made iron. At least you're doing something.:thumb:
Hey, I love my Glock! But I also love my S&W, so I'd probably see your points there, too.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Oh no you didn't.... Those are some fightin words right there!
I don't think there is another subject more volatile among folks on the same side but it's all in fun as long as we use our real energies to fight the real opposition back to back.

·
Super Moderator
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't think there is another subject more volatile among folks on the same side but it's all in fun as long as we use our real energies to fight the real opposition back to back.
I love my guns like I love my Pizza.. In the end they all do the same thing but they have their own unique flavors..

And remember... guns don't kill people.... The bullets do and almost everything I have stored in the safe is made in the USA.. HAHA..

·
Super Moderator
23,144 Posts
This is a good reason for registering your vehicle to a PO Box or mail drop like a UPS store. This is something i learned a long time ago when I was a reserve LEO. My dad was also a fed and he did the same for years.
Believe it or not you can not do that in many places. Have to have a physical address so the popo can come and find you if they need to.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts