Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm no mechanic, just your average home gamer with a growing supply of tools and an insurmountable need, nay addiction, to learn every bolt, nut, gasket and gear and its purpose. I just finished an oil pan/rms job on my TJ that was easily the biggest job I've done. And it's leak free and it feels amazing.
With the help of this forum, other forums and general bullshittery on social media and YouTube I have been able to accomplish jobs that I never would have thought I could do. And it's not without cursing, fear and lacking confidence. I've made many mistakes, made things more complicated than they need to be and one to many trips to the parts store for an item or tool I inevitably forgot.
I know how my Jeep works (mostly) I know how it drives and I know why it does what it does.
This is why I love my Jeep, so thank you, and Jeep on. #Jeepwave

·
Registered
626 Posts
My TJ is probably the last vehicle I'll be able to work on. I'm getting too old to be required to remove half the engine to reach a part. Opening up the hood on most vehicles today makes me want to slam it back down and put my tools up for sale. It's just too crowded in there for my patience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Love it for all the great and future memories, I've been lucky bought her new in 2002 and have only had to replace a radiator and the transfer case, and a few driver side front axels. Don't blame Jeep on the axels just my serious trail driving.

And replaced lots of tires....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Decided this time last year I wanted to get a Jeep again and knew that it had to be a TJ. Not only that, but a TJ with 4.0L in-line 6 and the Dana 44s front and back - a Rubi. Hunted dozens for several months on-line and at dealerships. When I saw 'Edgar' I knew he was the Jeep and I announced to spousal unit and siblings "I'm going in coach."

Now, eight months, several thousand dollars and lots of fishing holes and trails later, my kit's built out exactly the way I saw it in my head and the dog(s) go wild when they see me dragging out their dog ramp to load up and take off.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Great post Stickers, I swear I could have written that exactly. Except for the RMS part, I haven't done that yet (but I think I need to). I'm a mostly-retired PC gamer (EverQuest) and when I work on anything with my TJ I need to know where it goes, what it does, and how it functions.. And when you do it yourself and you know you did it right, that is better than any feeling I have ever had getting work done at a shop. At least half the time when I have had anything done at a shop (with our cars) I have had problems, which really makes it hard to trust anybody but yourself.

A great community here and it is truly awesome that anything I am going to do on the Jeep is already documented somewhere on the Internet!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome to see replies voicing the same!
Now if only I could get my lady to share the love, she might be jealous :eek:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
At least half the time when I have had anything done at a shop (with our cars) I have had problems, which really makes it hard to trust anybody but yourself.
For this reason I really only do the work myself... I just really don't trust that they will do the proper job or tighten down everything properly. The only way to make sure it is done right is to do it yourself (with the exception of gears which I had installed :p).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Unless it's inside the engine or transmission, I should be able to figure it out. The nice part is that the Jeep is not my DD so it doesn't have to be put back together by Monday morning. I've never had this luxury before so it was stressful and I ended up going to shops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts