Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'll admit that I am sick. I sold my AEV Unlimited and don't miss it. I do miss my previous little 2 door Sport S though so Im back to looking at Wrangler. I like the MPG and power I experienced earlier this year in a JLU 2.0 Turbo.

I see in 2020 Jeep is offering the 2.0 with ESS in the Sport and Rubicon (maybe others) and the 2.0 Etorque in maybe just the Sahara? Why the two engine choices?

Dave

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
It's my guess that eTorque is being nixed from the two models most likely to get beat on off road. Just a guess.

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
The 2.0T eTorque ended up being a bit of a flop. Originally the V6 was the standard engine and the 2.0T eTorque was optional. At one point thousands of 4-cyls were sitting unsold on dealer lots for months. FCA and Jeep dealers liquidated most of them through heavy discounting. There are quite a few unsold 2018 2.0T still out there.

In 2018 FCA ended buying $100M worth of carbon credits from Tesla to avoid getting slapped hefty fines by the EU. It seems FCA is now trying to encourage people to buy the 4-cyl to help it meet CAFE requirements. So for 2020 a 2.0T without eTorque becomes the “standard” engine when you order a Sport or Rubicon with the automatic transmission. If you want the V6 or V6 eTorque you have to check the optional box for additional $$$.

But dealers are still a bit reticent to stock 4-cyls after the difficulty they had selling the 2018s.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The 2.0T eTorque ended up being a bit of a flop. Originally the V6 was the standard engine and the 2.0T eTorque was optional. At one point thousands of 4-cyls were sitting unsold on dealer lots for months. FCA and Jeep dealers liquidated most of them through heavy discounting. There are quite a few unsold 2018 2.0T still out there.

In 2018 FCA ended buying $100M worth of carbon credits from Tesla to avoid getting slapped hefty fines by the EU. It seems FCA is now trying to encourage people to buy the 4-cyl to help it meet CAFE requirements. So for 2020 a 2.0T without eTorque becomes the “standard” engine when you order a Sport or Rubicon with the automatic transmission. If you want the V6 or V6 eTorque you have to check the optional box for additional $$$.

But dealers are still a bit reticent to stock 4-cyls after the difficulty they had selling the 2018s.
Spot on.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. I did not know that. Not sure about the longevity of the hybrid side of things, but that engine is really good in my experience of spending quite a bit of time with it. I believe the etorque is now only offered in the Sahara.

Thank you for the info on that!

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
Here’s a more detailed explanation of the 2020 engine options.

Sahara gets treated as a special case with the most engine options, and is the only trim to get the new V6 eTorque

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
Either that or to cut cost. Knowing FCA, this is most likely the real reason.

The original goal of adding eTorque was to allow the turbo engine to save gas at launch, which is precisely when it guzzles the most gas.

I haven’t seen the MPG numbers of the 2.0T eTorque vs the plain 2.0T. But my guess would be that in real driving conditions fuel economy will suffer without eTorque. Just like it normally happens with traditional turbo engines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts