Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was on the beach the other day, maybe i just dont know the jeep well enough, only have 600 miles on it. but i tried getting out of 2L and it wouldn't let me. i even got a little grind when i was pushing it. should i even have to be concerned about that.

i eventually got it out of gear by backing up a bit then it came right out.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Try backing up for about 20 feet and while rolling backwards put it into neutral and let it coast to a stop and then try it. Thats what always works on my 71K5 Blazer after wheeling in low.
I have yet to try it on my 4 day old 2012 Wrangler Sport.
By doing the above procedure, it takes all the torque bind out of the drive-line and allows you to put the transfer case back into 2 wheel easier.

·
Registered
166 Posts
do you mean out of 4L? there is no 2 Low. Were you trying to get it in/out of 4L while rolling slow at 1-2 mph? I get no grind when i do it that way. start rolling at 1-2 mph then shift into N on auto's or press in the clutch if a stick, then Pull the 4x lever from 4H down to 4L. Should go right in. Then do the same thing to take it out of 4L.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
I'm assuming you meant 4lo? Per jeep specs as far as I know them, put jeep in gear (drive) and get going 3-5 mph shift into neutral and then shift back put it in drive, drive away :)

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I find it easier if I put the transmission in neutral if the transfer case isn't wanting to play nice

·
Registered
758 Posts
Don't force it. If I find that is not going in I will simply just give it a little clutch to barly start moving and it changes with ease.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Pomz623 said:
was on the beach the other day, maybe i just dont know the jeep well enough, only have 600 miles on it. but i tried getting out of 2L and it wouldn't let me. i even got a little grind when i was pushing it. should i even have to be concerned about that.

i eventually got it out of gear by backing up a bit then it came right out.
If you have to force it, you're doing it wrong and could damage it. Rolling about 3 mph in neutral should allow you to slide right out of 4l without a problem. Forcing it could bust this little plastic piece that will render your jeep stuck and need to be towed until it is replaced. (Based on the horror stories I've read in this forum).

Never force it.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
There are no syncros in 4L, that's why it's difficult. Before taking a new Jeep off road you should completely read the entire off road section of your owner's manual.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are no syncros in 4L, that's why it's difficult. Before taking a new Jeep off road you should completely read the entire off road section of your owner's manual.
yeah, i read it all. the manual says nothing about going from 4L to 4H, only the other way around. It does say let it roll about 2-3mph, shift into N then 4L but if Im in the sand, the second I shift into N, it comes to a dead stop. the backing up thing seemed to worked the best if it gave me trouble.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do you mean out of 4L? there is no 2 Low. Were you trying to get it in/out of 4L while rolling slow at 1-2 mph? I get no grind when i do it that way. start rolling at 1-2 mph then shift into N on auto's or press in the clutch if a stick, then Pull the 4x lever from 4H down to 4L. Should go right in. Then do the same thing to take it out of 4L.
good call yes. i did mean 4L

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Backing up is definitely the way to go in that situation. The key to 4L is to be in it before you need it. You're most likely better off using 4H in loose sand because, like mud, wheel speed and momentum are your friends.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
daggo66 said:
Backing up is definitely the way to go in that situation. The key to 4L is to be in it before you need it. You're most likely better off using 4H in loose sand because, like mud, wheel speed and momentum are your friends.
X2 and I'd you can't get out of it in the sand, wait till your back on some sort of solid terrain and then do it. But do not exceed 25 mph in 4lo

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
yeah, i read it all. the manual says nothing about going from 4L to 4H, only the other way around. It does say let it roll about 2-3mph, shift into N then 4L but if Im in the sand, the second I shift into N, it comes to a dead stop. the backing up thing seemed to worked the best if it gave me trouble.
If you had a hard time getting the transfer case out of 4L, I'm guessing that you had some gear binding going on. Sometimes putting the transmission in N or backing up for a few feet will fix it. I also agree with the others that 4H would probably have been better for sand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts