Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Wrangler a better off-road vehicle than the FJ Cruiser? Why? How? Opinions are fine, but I prefer true unbiased data.

- Keith -

·
Registered
569 Posts
have never ridden in a FJ.....but i did stay at a holiday express.......and the jeep has the 3.6, 5 speed auto, option to get a Rubicon with the 4.10, locking differentials, removable top, removable doors, lowered windshield....and you get the option of a leak or no leaky top.

Sorry Keith, Its just a JEEP thing..... I can't give you a comparison but i konw I've always loved jeeps since my first spin in one in the Army. You may feel the same way about the Toyota if you decide to go that way. I know a lot of people that love the land cruiser.

Either way, just get out there in the dirt.......

cass

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
I tried searching but couldn't find the article. One of the major 4WD magazines did a comparison a few years ago and the JK won. that's about as unbiased as you will get. In general a solid axle will win out over IFS when it comes to the rough stuff.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Bubba,
Thanks for the post. Seems like the major drawback of the testing was the Jeep lack of power. Hopefully, the new engine takes care of that. Great reading actually, should help answer the question.

cass

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: With a change of the diff. gears--

Bubba,
Thanks for the post. Seems like the major drawback of the testing was the Jeep lack of power. Hopefully, the new engine takes care of that. Great reading actually, should help answer the question.

cass
There are NO DRAWBACKS--the Wrangler is sitting on the top !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
The FJ only came close because of its extra power. With the new motor, I doubt it would have been so close. The JK just handles the rough stuff better. A quote from the article above: "if you want agility, visibility, and climbing ability, then the JK lays the smack down on Toyota's cruiser."

But even with it's off road advantage there is another big reason the JK beats out the FJ, and that's the ability to take the top off and enjoy the ride. You just can't do that with any other off road vehicle and that freedom of the open air while on the trail is worth the extra price hands down.

Not to mention the looks you get in your Jeep. It's not just the adults that walk out of the way just to look at your Jeep, but the young boys that say look at that Jeep because Jeep has always been the dream vehicle of boys from their first thoughts of what they want when they grow up. Well a Jeep and a fire engine anyways.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Heh Heh, I Take my grandkids in the back of my JKUR and they've gotta have the rear windows ---DOWN !!

Can't doit in the FJ

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
re: "Opinions are fine, but I prefer true unbiased data."

good luck with that!

re: opinion, mine:
Current FJ has become similar to what happened to the original Thunderbird when they added a rear seat and plushboat stuff. More people wanted that perhaps, but the original 2 seater TB was a basic rather nimble if not rather anemic yet enjoyable ride.

The FJ40s were pretty much a Jeep knockoff run thru the Japanese Military, of such close design parameters even their transmission would bolt up to a 350 chevy, IIRC.

The FJ40s had tops-off option and some dandy off-road capacity.

I drove a couple of the new FJs and simply did not care for them, either in design or execution of the styling. They didn't fit my largely pre-conscious notion of what "outdoor fun" and "off road adventure" meant. They weren't like those Jeeps of long ago that I grew up loving and knocking around in the outback country. Now if I were to consider taking up Mall Ninja activities, I'd probably look more closely at the current FJ....although I still am fond of the old FJ40 style a lot more.
VS

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
I drove an FJ on road and wasn't impressed at all. Not to mention all the blind spots, no thanks!

Isn't the current FJ Cruiser FWD when not in 4WD? I'll pass on that too, I like RWD when not in 4WD.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I drove an FJ on road and wasn't impressed at all. Not to mention all the blind spots, no thanks!

Isn't the current FJ Cruiser FWD when not in 4WD? I'll pass on that too, I like RWD when not in 4WD.
+1

I came to the same conclusion. I didn't care for the blind spots or the funky paint schemes. I drove one around Toledo one afternoon and just wasn't dazzled by it.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
The salesman cracked me up when he told me they sold for higer than sticker price. After I stopped laughing I told him I sold cars, and didn't feel the love for the FJ, that shut him right down. The easiest way shut a pushy saleman down is tell him/her you don't feel the love. There's really no comeback for that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I believe they sold higher then sticker because Toyota either cut production all together or limited it significantly over the last few years. I was looking into one and loved the ability to put a camping tent system on the roof. But in the end there were only 2 total available in my area between 7 Toyota dealers. Why would they make a deal on the price when there are so few. In the end the FJ has been neglected so long by Toyota I feared they were going to discontinue it and thus never pursued it further. It's due for a significant overhaul and it's engine and interior need major updating to be competitive. I don't fault any of the FJ's abilities as a competent off-roader just don't feel Toyota cares much about it. When executives start to let a model twist in the wind you start to wonder if it's a good idea for you to purchase it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
FJ versus JK

Well, both are very off-road capable machines. Both have far more "gusto" than I will ever use. But, when driving the FJ Crusier on the street (where it would be 90% of the time) the blind spots made negotiating traffic a little tricky. I found it downright annoying. You realy have to rely on your mirrors and doing a basic "head check" is pretty much impossible. Guess I'm old fashioned. Plus I prefer the 4-doors of the JKU to the 3-door design of the FJ.

FJ people get crazy when you say something about "visibility" and their vehicles. I joined the FJ forum to learn about the vehicle and got cussed out and called ever name in the book when I asked if anyone had issues with the visibility. It was a fiercely defensive crowd that acted like a bunch of children. That's the Internet for you....

·
Registered
121 Posts
When the FJ first came out, August 2006 (?), I bought one and traded it a week later. :facepalm:
The driver seat aggravated my lower back and the blind spots were bad. Luckily, FJ demand, at that time was still great, so I didn't get killed on the trade. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had an 04 TJ. Traded on an 07 FJ in 07. Back in 2011 JK Rubi. FJ was clearly a step up on the road from the TJ. JK a step up on road from FJ. Off road, visibility in FJ is a problem. Also back seat on FJ not good! About even with my two door JK. TJ and JK both have better fuel economy than FJ. Suicide rear doors on the FJ a PITA! About as easy getting people in and out of my JK even though it is a two door. Missed my TJ about every day when I had the FJ. Never missed the FJ not once now that I have my JK. BTW, FJ auto's are RWD. FJ manual's are AWD.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Despite that I owned a YJ in high school, and considered myself a "Jeep" guy, I was always impressed with Toyota's reliability.

In 2007 I was torn between a JK and a Tacoma. I went with the Tacoma. The transmission felt like crap from 3k miles on. The clutch felt like crap after 30k miles. The transmission went after 88k miles (still drivable though). Toyota claimed it was normal wear and tear.

This time around, it was between a JK and a FJ. I was not impressed by the FJ. It was sluggish, handled like a minivan at high speeds, had terrible blind spots, and getting passengers into the back was no easier than a 2 door JK. All this, combined with the sticker price, and my previous experience with Toyota, made the JK an easy decision for me.

I expect to keep this Jeep for 20 years...

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.