Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a backup camera yesterday in my 15. Tapped into the reverse light wire and powered it through the 12v adapter in the back. Ran the wires up and connected it to my 430n touch screen radio. Put it in reverse, nothing. Anyone know why? This is the camera I bought on amazon.
Eway Car Backup Reverse Rear View Spare Tire Mount Camera for Jeep Wrangler 2007-2018 Waterproof Reversing Parking Aftermarket Camera with Removable Guideline.
The outlet has power. I’ve been told both things. Have it flashed. Some said theirs worked without having it flashed.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
You have to have the radio programmed to recognize the camera. It needs to be done by a dealer, or apparently the Jscan program can do it too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
MY camera came with a module (similar to a Procal) to plug into the OBD Port to make the Factory head unit recognize the camera. Maybe ask the seller if they provide this?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Confirm you have power at the outlet and a good ground. You should also see an option in one of the menus (System Settings I think) to confirm the camera is on there. I installed a camera using a PAC module, and I had an issue with the power wire. Didn't work until I found that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Reconfirmed everything is hooked up correctly and there’s power to it. Gotta wait until Tuesday. Service shop isn’t open on a holiday

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the radio flashed but I pulled the pins out of the connector (for the camera and have no idea where they go. Can anyone help? Please?!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks but that doesn’t help me. I don’t understand this stuff at all. Pretty much, well right on dead nuts accurate, I need to be told what to do

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Thanks but that doesn’t help me. I don’t understand this stuff at all. Pretty much, well right on dead nuts accurate, I need to be told what to do

Look at the mating plug. Can you see the wire colors on the mating plug? The pins should align so that the red connects to the red and the black connects to the black.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
where abouts are you located? if your wiring is good, and the camera is properly receiving power, your head unit has to be enabled for the camera, if your Jeep DID NOT come from the factory with a back up camera you will not have it enabled (you must enable the camera) as is, a program like jscan or app car diag can do it, if your unsure of what your doing, I would suggest asking a forum member local to you for further assistance, or take it to the dealer for further assistance, if your in the local NYC/CT let me know and we can discuss me assisting if required.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
is your Jeep an auto or Manual, I remember something being mentioned that auto vs manuals are oddly "slightly different" in how you can power the camera...I can't seem to find that thread but I remember someone mentioning an odd behavior like that....

·
Registered
939 Posts
I bet your settings are not activated yet. I think someone mentioned above about going through the radio menu to activate it there?
If my jeep wasn't in the shop I would send you some pics of how to do that.
Post #6
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I live in sw Ohio. I did take it to the dealer to get it flashed. It is ready for a camera but for some reason it’s not coming on. This is what I get when I put it in reverse.

With regards to the wire pins you pulled, you should be able to see where they were supposed to go in the plug by looking at the male end on the receiving plug. You'll see tiny scratches where the wires went. That will at least help you narrow it down.

For the lack of video, I recommend connecting the camera output to a TV just to make sure the camera is working.

Reactions: WaltA
1 - 20 of 33 Posts