Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain to me WHY jeep would design a JEEP with out a gas cap door to keep mud/dust off the gas cap..on these new Jeeps i think that is a poor design as these vehicles are designed for off road and all kinds of crud will be getting on the cap and possibly into the gas tank...thanks..:confused:

·
Administrator
12,602 Posts
Never been an issue for me.. TJ's have not had one for 10 years, YJ had it behind the plate and the cj, never had one...

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Mud and crud get behind gas cap doors as well and most people forget to wash there, It's kinda like behind the ears of children.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Mud and crud get behind gas cap doors as well and most people forget to wash there, It's kinda like behind the ears of children.
oops, I don't think I wash there....everytime :eek:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hmmm....I use to miss that spot all the time with my son :eek:
too busy being worried about his teeth...............

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
they designed it with no fuel door because its a jeep and your adding fuel so often that the fuel door hinges would fail :flipoff:

:D

honestly, I havent a clue but have had no problems with the original posters concerns..

·
Registered
13 Posts
thats a nice fuel filler door. Is that the black or chrome? I couldn't tell from the pic. Well, I didn't go that far to protect my tank. I instead jus got a locking gas cap from Mopar. Set me down close to 60 bucks, but atleast Im not paranoid about people tampering with my gas tank .

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
FYI mopar DOES make a $15 locking gas cap too. They make a $15 cap with 2 new keys that are specific to the cap, and then they make the $60 cap that keys it to your Jeep key. I didnt see the point in paying $45 more myself, but to each their own.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello guys, I also found it hard to believe that it wasn't stock so here is my solution ...
NOW that's what i'm talkin about .that is nice.i just think there is alot less chance of junk clogging your fuel filter if u keep the cap clean..

·
Registered
13 Posts
wow that is nice here are some more even some with locks
Search Results - Quadratec
Hey there HEK do you have to take the plastic lining off when you install the fuel door?
You have to take the rear left brake light assembly and yes you have to "pull hard" on the entire plastic housing and rubber boot which you have to reuse. There are lots of sharp edges so if you have a pair of gloves use them....It was harder to install the gas door than the CAI intake...go figure..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
It was harder to install the gas door than the CAI intake...go figure..:rolleyes:
CAI is right there while the gas cap door is In there? Possibly the feeling of messing with the gas tank throat is also shaking your hands a bit and making it harder?

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can also find that gas filler cap on Ebay I havnt priced it on other sites yet but at least thats another place to look. I plan to buy one very soon, but first things first (lift, side armor, new bumper, winch, etc...)

Greystone JK 2" skyjacker lift more to come very sooon

·
Registered
13 Posts
CAI is right there while the gas cap door is In there? Possibly the feeling of messing with the gas tank throat is also shaking your hands a bit and making it harder?
Actually trying to get a good grip to pull off the housing and then trying to put back the rubber boot is not as easy as it seems...afterwards there wasn't enough room in the opening of the rear light to work in, or my hands are just too big...anyway I like working on cars and this installation seemed it would take minutes but it was closer to an hour.....:confused: ..ohh and I hope you don't smoke ....did I mention fumes...;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts