Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder why you can not option limited slip with max tow. I know some think it is a waste of money but I have had limited slip on my first wrangler and it worked well in many situations.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I agree with you.
I bought a ‘15 JKUS and only had 3 “must haves”:
1) soft top
2) manual
3) LS

I ended-up selling it and with the profit I went in search of a YJ. I have a CJ, had a TJ, so I needed to try a YJ.
I then had two “must haves”:
1) manual
2) LS

I’ve only had to put my YJ into 4WD for snow.
Everyone has their reasons for wanting LS or open diff. I guess, but for me, I wouldn’t have an open diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have heard the same thing. And if they can’t hold up in standard duty why offer them in a heavy duty application?

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
The axle used in Max Tow models is the same axle as the Rubicon, minus the Tru-Lok differentials. So, FCA would have to retrofit those with Trac-Lok in order to offer that option. It's cost prohibitive.

However, very recently I suppose people bitched and griped enough, and so now the Max Towing package is $200 more expensive and it includes Trac-Lok.

I'm glad I ordered last year. Trac-Lok, sometimes affectionately known as "Trash-Lok", is terrible for icy, slippery roads. It tends to swing the rear end out, rather than pushing it foward.

·
Super Moderator
22,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The axle used in Max Tow models is the same axle as the Rubicon, minus the Tru-Lok differentials. So, FCA would have to retrofit those with Trac-Lok in order to offer that option. It's cost prohibitive.

However, very recently I suppose people bitched and griped enough, and so now the Max Towing package is $200 more expensive and it includes Trac-Lok.

I'm glad I ordered last year. Trac-Lok, sometimes affectionately known as "Trash-Lok", is terrible for icy, slippery roads. It tends to swing the rear end out, rather than pushing it foward.
looking at the jeep.com build site they are showing a $100 increase ie $1095 but they are not showing it includes trac loc.

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
looking at the jeep.com build site they are showing a $100 increase ie $1095 but they are not showing it includes trac loc.
The website “build your own” always lags behind any price or package updates.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The website “build your own” always lags behind any price or package updates.
nice. I have scoured my local dealers ie within 300 mile or so radius and so far none have popped up yet with the most current max tow. I see a lot with the increase to 1095 but none with the limited slip added.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Track-lock works very well for me, in rain, snow and light mud I go in 2 WD without any problems. On ice will make the rear to skid (GY Wrangler tyres :), a lot of fun though)
I think when towing on dry with the rear axle loaded the clutch pack will wear faster.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
The clutches wear with any such limited slip. In my experience, if I can't do with open diffs (and I have been doing so very well), I would get a Detroit or Yukon locker and have a real locker. Max tow experienced price creep from the original price of $995.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mines got it. Didn't realize it until reading about it recently on Gladiator Forum. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing at this point.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
It's a good thing.
Might have to replace the clutches down the road, but much better than an open diff

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've not had any problems with the 3 Trac-Loc's I've had and still have 2. Currently got it in my XJ's D44 and LJ D44 wheel base and weight of vehicle can and does make a difference. In my LJ it's a 250 000 miles with out any problems with it. In SWB might not be as good. I did want it in my JT but I went with quick arrival rather than later. Now I have to wait for after market to catch up for something better than the "brake" lock anti spin. That is a strange feeling thing after being use to driving with a locker or Trac-Loc to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts