Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from a background of cars that I made go fast, I almost daily wonder why no one makes a short throw shifter for the JK. I know it's a truck and all that, but it's so nice to shift a short throw. Is there a technical reason why no one has made a kit yet, or is it just a matter of no one really caring for one??

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
short shifters are not easy on the transmission. The jk 6 speed in particular is very unsuited to quick shifts. I think it would dramatically reduce the life of the transmission with a short shifter.

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
Coming from a background of cars that I made go fast, I almost daily wonder why no one makes a short throw shifter for the JK. I know it's a truck and all that, but it's so nice to shift a short throw. Is there a technical reason why no one has made a kit yet, or is it just a matter of no one really caring for one??
That is a very good question, there have been issues with the stock shifter anyway. My last truck was a 3/4 ton diesel that I put a short shifter in, made a world of difference in shift feel and the shorter throw is easier to drive. Aftermarket shifters are always an improvement IMHO.

Maybe this would remedy the shifter movement when you are on a rough washboard road?? Let's get someone working on this please...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Cant see the point really - this is the slowest shifting vehicle I have ever owned. Try and shift at a normal speed, especially first to second or second to third and it just crunches. Nice slow shift and its as smooth as silk.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think what he is getting at is having a more precise shifting experience. I didnt read anything in his post about him wanting to shift it quicker like in a sports car. I had a short throw in my Trans Am years and years ago and it made it much more precise. I have never ever heard of a new shifter shortening the life of a trans. Missed shifts might, tho.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
geoff11573 said:
I think what he is getting at is having a more precise shifting experience. I didnt read anything in his post about him wanting to shift it quicker like in a sports car. I had a short throw in my Trans Am years and years ago and it made it much more precise. I have never ever heard of a new shifter shortening the life of a trans. Missed shifts might, tho.
That's exactly right. I dont care about going fast, but i also think it's a bit extreme to take a couple seconds to shift. It would just feel nicer if it was a little quicker/smoother/more precise, and while it may not be worth it for this to be stock, I think a lot of people would pay for this (including me) if the aftermarket provided some alternatives.

Is there an actual reason no one makes them? I can't see why it works so well in sporty vehicles, and it wouldn't work on a Jeep

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SeaComms said:
Cant see the point really - this is the slowest shifting vehicle I have ever owned. Try and shift at a normal speed, especially first to second or second to third and it just crunches. Nice slow shift and its as smooth as silk.
Well, maybe a short throw or different design would work better to beign with, not requiring this. I shift slow too, but damn it, we're almost into 2013 and the whole "it's a Jeep thing" can't last forever

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blastek said:
short shifters are not easy on the transmission. The jk 6 speed in particular is very unsuited to quick shifts. I think it would dramatically reduce the life of the transmission with a short shifter.
I guess what I should stress is that it's not the quickness of the shift that i'm conscerned with, but rather how far you have to move the lever to move it around between different gears. I think that just having a short shifter, doesn't automatically mean that you have to bang through every gear every time, you can still shift and drive like a "normal person"

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I guess what I should stress is that it's not the quickness of the shift that i'm conscerned with, but rather how far you have to move the lever to move it around between different gears. I think that just having a short shifter, doesn't automatically mean that you have to bang through every gear every time, you can still shift and drive like a "normal person"
I'm totally for someone giving it a try, but in my opinion, I think this transmission won't suit it. I would love to hear the results. I make no excuses for this transmission by the way.

a short shifter inherently implies that you are decreasing the throw between gears. That means that if you shift normally, the time between gears decreases, which gives the synchros less time to match before the gears engage. The only way to not have this happen, would be to slow down your shift with short shifter to a speed slower than with the stock shifter, which basically would make it pointless.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
^This. I don't think this transmission would play well with a short shifter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I learned how to drive stick in my jeep. I thought it was a smooth shifter till I drove my dads mustang. Now I wish they made a short shifter for it. Maybe not even changing the throw, just wish it was smoother

1 - 13 of 13 Posts