Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been researching old threads here for a while now, and not convinced this is a bad idea. I've been wanting to do a Detroit in the front for years, and now that my old ARB RD30 is puking cap bolts again, thinking its time for a switch. The new ARB RD100 is getting close to $1K just for the locker.

It has been suggested that the D30 flexes too much for a Detroit, and others here stated they used them without issue. If it flexes too much, what is the result? Previous topics failed to mention the result or problems associated with this setup.

I wheel with heavy 33s (TSLs on Hutchinson bead-locks). I'm used to the eccentricities of a Detroit, have run one in the rear for over a dozen years now and love it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The biggest draw back for me would be the effect on steering in tight situations. I know with my ARB the front stays unlocked most of the time, there are times rock crawling that I was fighting the front and could not make the turns I needed to make without backing up and readjusting. If you were to do it I'd sleeve and truss the D30, plus gusset the C's, may want to consider a PSC hydraulic steering too.

Btw a flexing housing will eat up the R&P, it's one of the problems with the D35 and big tires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a YJ, not a weak JK d30. Already running PSC steering. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I got that, and yes normally our D30 would not need the truss or anything else. But you're going to be adding a lot of stress with a full locker that isn't there with a selectable or lunch box. I'm mostly on the rocks and I would be concerned with a Detroit in front, but that's just my view.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really only like to wheel in rocks. Mud and light bars are for others....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts