Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do u not want to use your clutch in river crossings??

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Water and mud can enter the clutch.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm same the day I got my jeep I went for a test drive on the way home and got bogged in about 3-4 ft of water and had to go from 1to reverse several times.before I got traction again :0 lol how would u go bout doin tht with out a clutch??

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Why do u not want to use your clutch in river crossings??
A couple of stories (mostly they didn't know it would be a bad thing):

"Alright so I got stuck in a mud pit with a water level that was halfway up my doors. I hadmy sway bars disconected and my axles locked. When I got stuck, my tires were still able to turn, but I couldn' move. I had my buddy pull me out from the rear. I shifted into neutral and was pulled out fine. I had my engine running the entire time I was stuck in the pit. The whole process took about 10 - 15 mins. Now the trans won't shift into gear. The clutch pedal feels spongey. It'll shift wen the engine is off, but when it is stated an I try to press the clutch and shift into gear,the gears make a whining noise. I was also able to get it to start in 1st gear on 4LO and was movng forward for a bit, but had to press on the clutch to get the jeep moving.

... I used the clutch to shift gears while in water multiple times going from 1st - 2nd and trying to reverse, then finally just to neutral. I also put the transfer case in 2H... should I not have done that?...

I had it towed to the dealership..."

"How do I get mud out of my clutch? It's in there now I need it out. Please help asap..."

"My buddy filled his clutch with mud and blew the stocker..."

"...He got stuck in a big mud hole and decided to try and get out going forwards and back..."

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I don't use my clutch at all when offroading, in fact it is frowned upon because of wearing it out and slippage when you might need it the most. I put tranny in 1st, 4low, and start and stop the engine with the ignition in gear crawling along. No clutch fade, and if you are in low range, easy to start and roll along. To quote Mark A. Smith, Jeep Jamboree founder, "GITCHERDAMFUTOFFDAKLUTCH".

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
The problems is not using it in the river... its after and same thing in mud... the crap in the water/mud etc will then dry to the clutch and may not allow the selection of gears... hence your stuck.. Thus try to make it over in one shot with out shifting, or shift in the shallow area then hit it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts