Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :wavey:

New here. I did a fair amount of reading on the site and got all the pro's of the 15" wheel and 33" Duratrac combo.

I have a 2 door 2013 on order, and am obviously going through all the regular questions and searches for modifications I would like to do straight off the bat.

I have decided on Duratrac 33" tires, but I need a little bit of expert advice regarding the wheels.

School me please............

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts

New here. I did a fair amount of reading on the site and got all the pro's of the 15" wheel and 33" Duratrac combo.

I have a 2 door 2013 on order, and am obviously going through all the regular questions and searches for modifications I would like to do straight off the bat.

I have decided on Duratrac 33" tires, but I need a little bit of expert advice regarding the wheels.

Pros: cheaper, both for wheels and tires. Lighter. Bigger contact patch. Fatter sidewalls. Less hit on mpg.

Cons: gotta buy alloy wheels – most of em will clear the JK calipers; most steelies won't. Backspacing is generally gonna be about 3.75" or less, meaning your tires will stick out a fair amount from the Jeep. Tire size will be a little more limited than with 17" wheels.

In your research, did you see this thread? Largest tire on stock JK? Here's your answer!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi kbwwolf
yeah, I saw that thread.

I am actually trying to get someone to convince me to buy the 17" wheels instead of the 15" combo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi kbwwolf
yeah, I saw that thread.

I am actually trying to get someone to convince me to buy the 17" wheels instead of the 15" combo.
Going thru same exercise. For me the 17's are not the best choice. 15's look better, ride better, Cost less, result in less unsprung weight on the wheels.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Hi kbwwolf
yeah, I saw that thread.

Going thru same exercise. For me the 17's are not the best choice. 15's look better, ride better, Cost less, result in less unsprung weight on the wheels.
:rofl:

Sorry man. I thought you were actually challenging the wisdom, not begging to be convinced.

Um. Damn.

Okay, how 'bout this: If you buy the 15's, your tires are gonna stick out past your fenders. Not a big deal, unless your state is one of those sticklers for it (and some are); in which case you're liable to get a big fat ticket. Also, tires that exceed your fenders will pretty much paint your Jeep with grime every time it rains or snows.

How's that?

Convincing?

I'm kinda reaching here...:D

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hi kbwwolf
yeah, I saw that thread.

Because you want the 17"

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I went with 17's because I like my rims and I could get 17" tires for much less than the 15" combo.

I also like the looks of 17" tires better and I wanted to keep the 17" wheels so if in the future I decide to sell the Jeep I'll have the stock wheels with it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here you go. Nice Wheel and the tires will not kill you either.

Wheel Details - Discount Tire

Tire Details - Discount Tire

This combo will fit with stock suspension. Just check on the front air dam/plastic skid plate after the install.

Keep us posted with photos

WAHA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ Bam!

Thread closed. Thank you sir.
Ha-ha, thanks guys.

it's not as easy as that. I don't know what I want. Otherwise I would not have asked.

I see the general consensus seems to be for the 15" wheels, but I am sure there are a number of counter arguments .
I mean, I can get the Duratracs and MB wheel combination in 15 and 17 " wheels.........so why not ask.

Appreciate the good and bad feedback :D

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Ha-ha, thanks guys.

it's not as easy as that. I don't know what I want. Otherwise I would not have asked.

I see the general consensus seems to be for the 15" wheels, but I am sure there are a number of counter arguments .
I mean, I can get the Duratracs and MB wheel combination in 15 and 17 " wheels.........so why not ask.

I guess, to get to the point, why do you wanna be talked INTO running 17" wheels?

Nothing wrong with em, but what are you hoping to get out of em? Why do you feel they're a necessity for your build...?

I've said on here, numerous times, that the only reason I see for running wheels 17" or larger, is cuz you don't like the look of smaller wheels. If that's the case, cool. But then, why the post?

Just curious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess the deep seated question is on road handling with the 15" wheels. If that's cool, I'll join the fray.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
anonymous said:
Ha-ha, thanks guys.

If your going to use 35" or smaller tires, the 15" will cost you much less, at least for the tires. About $80-100 per tire less. The wheels fit fine with no contact with the calipers as long as you use thin stick on weights, and locate them away from the caliper area. The 15" wheels look more proportional when using the smaller tires too.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I guess the deep seated question is on road handling with the 15" wheels. If that's cool, I'll join the fray.
Unless you're gonna drive like Dale Jr, shouldn't be a problem. I've got 35's on 16" wheels (didn't make my tire in the 15" size), and haven't had an issue. And I pretty much drive like a carjacker.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Playing the devils advocate, the 17s will allow for less sidewall deflection making the vehicle feel more sure footed on the highway. It may also ride a little rougher, although there's still about 8" of sidewall on a 33" tire, and 9" on a 35" tires with 17" rims. The 17's may also be easier to balance than the 15s.

The reality is that unless you are doing hard core rock crawling or plan on putting the Jeep on a race track, it doesn't really matter. There are advantages to both.

Many people buy the 15s because they cost less as a package and weigh less to help the dismal fuel economy.

Which do you like the look of better?

Is the additional $80-100 per tire a factor for you come replacement time? Having to buy new rims vs. using the factory 17s will wipe out this cost difference.

Do you sell your vehicles after 2 years? If so, you'll never have to replace the tires and this won't matter. Be honest with yourself. I've never kept a car longer than 4 years.

Do you plan on doing hard core off-roading were you need to be able to air way down? Keep in mind that some of the Score Off Road race trucks run 17" rims on 35-40 inch tires at speeds well over 100 mph. They couldn't fit 15s over their big race brake kits.

If you go with 17s, you have a wide open market of Jeep takeoffs. You also have the stock rims come resale time.

Hopefully some of this discussion helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Playing the devils advocate, the 17s will allow for less sidewall deflection making the vehicle feel more sure footed on the highway. It may also ride a little rougher, although there's still about 8" of sidewall on a 33" tire, and 9" on a 35" tires with 17" rims. The 17's may also be easier to balance than the 15s.

The reality is that unless you are doing hard core rock crawling or plan on putting the Jeep on a race track, it doesn't really matter. There are advantages to both.

Many people buy the 15s because they cost less as a package and weigh less to help the dismal fuel economy.

Which do you like the look of better?

Is the additional $80-100 per tire a factor for you come replacement time? Having to buy new rims vs. using the factory 17s will wipe out this cost difference.

Do you sell your vehicles after 2 years? If so, you'll never have to replace the tires and this won't matter. Be honest with yourself. I've never kept a car longer than 4 years.

Do you plan on doing hard core off-roading were you need to be able to air way down? Keep in mind that some of the Score Off Road race trucks run 17" rims on 35-40 inch tires at speeds well over 100 mph. They couldn't fit 15s over their big race brake kits.

If you go with 17s, you have a wide open market of Jeep takeoffs. You also have the stock rims come resale time.

Hopefully some of this discussion helps.
Good discussion. I think you made a few good "take-home" points.
The cost difference really isn't and issue, but if the "better" combination is cheaper it wouldn't hurt.
Yeah, I generally keep 'em for shorter than 4 years, so I'm not going to run through many sets of tires.
I will put on both aftermarket wheels and tires.

All in all, thanks guys.
Quick, informative replies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If your going to use 35" or smaller tires, the 15" will cost you much less, at least for the tires. About $80-100 per tire less. The wheels fit fine with no contact with the calipers as long as you use thin stick on weights, and locate them away from the caliper area. The 15" wheels look more proportional when using the smaller tires too.
X2

I run 35x12.5 on 15" with no issues. The cost differnece is huge and non-directional tires are a bonus. The Pro Comp Xtreme AT's and Goodyear MTR's are a pain with the rotation and running a true full size spare. Duartrac's are loud (IMHO) compared to the AT's, but that is subjective.

Let's get real here. Looks are almost everything and it is your nickle. Get some photos of similar rigs or ask your local tire dealer to slap on some demo tires/rims and see what you like. To your original post, you have to look at it every day, not us :)

Just my .02

WAHA

1 - 20 of 39 Posts