·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm am genuinely curious

·
Registered
607 Posts
I think there may be a few threads on this. But short answer is when your are out on the trail a lot of times you wont have cell coverage and if you are in a group it's nice to be able to call for help if needed.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I use mine to communicate with my trail group, and to pretty much sit there on down time listening to other chatter on the trail.

Its easier to cb them than to yell out the window to them.

·
Registered
33,468 Posts
Because it's the best form of communication when you are off road.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there may be a few threads on this. But short answer is when your are out on the trail a lot of times you wont have cell coverage and if you are in a group it's nice to be able to call for help if needed.
That makes sense. Was wondering why not use the walkies, but wouldn't work if you weren't part of a group

·
Registered
570 Posts
It's especially nice for the trail leader and "tail gunner" to communicate in case there's a slow down/breakage/split in the group in the middle. Trail leader can't always tell what's going on to the rear in larger groups.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
cant call 30 people at once while you are crawling up a wall!

helps out on the highway too. I was stuck in traffic and my right blinker goes out. Needed to get over so I asked a trucker. he happened to be one of the tolerable truckers..... they are on chan 19 99% of the time

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
I dont get it either our malls have intercoms

·
Registered
78 Posts
All of the above plus you can communicate with truckers to avoid some highway congestion. I got stuck on the interstate last week - my new set up is on the way and will be installed this weekend.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Because its better than a radar detector.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All of the above plus you can communicate with truckers to avoid some highway congestion. I got stuck on the interstate last week - my new set up is on the way and will be installed this weekend.
I guess truckers offloading at the mall can always give me a parking sitrep

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't knock it New2012JEEP, the wife can get pretty cranky if she has to park too far away from the mall. Of course, that gives me an excuse to drop her off at the door and enjoy a little alone time while I park.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't knock it New2012JEEP, the wife can get pretty cranky if she has to park too far away from the mall. Of course, that gives me an excuse to drop her off at the door and enjoy a little alone time while I park.
No, seems like legitimate reason, I've never group offloaded or done any crazy wheeling myself.

Was wondering if I was missing out on anything

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
What's a CB radio? Does it have 4G and voice texting?

I'm kidding...

·
Registered
78 Posts
If I were to be completely honest, I grew up in rural NC and communicating by CB was just something we did. For me, no truck (or Jeep now) is complete without one. Call it nostalgia.

Continuing the honesty, the wife is pretty great. No complaints there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not to the best of my knowledge. The signal isn't that strong...unless you do something to boost it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
We used the cheap motorola walkie talkies a few times but that is a completely different frequency range. CB's make more since incase of emergencies. Plus farther range. And all the new CB's have weather channels.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I use mine to communicate with my trail group, and to pretty much sit there on down time listening to other chatter on the trail.

Its easier to cb them than to yell out the window to them.
^this. Many clubs (including mine) require them for trail rides. Its a matter of convenience and safety.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
If it has Bluetooth and can tag music like Shazam, I'm in. Seriously though, it is very useful to talk to people in the group- trail or highway. That is what I uses it for. I recently installed it and cannot believe how useful it is. If you usually run solso or with guys without CBs, it will be of little use unless you like speeding and listening to truckers....I don't.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts