Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i don't know if this is a common problem with tj's from my year but whenever i drive it it will randomly activate the flasher relay (audible activation) but my turn signal/hazards have not been/are not on. sometimes it turns off after a few clicks, sometimes i have to bang:crash2: the top of the steering colomn cover, either way it annoys the hell out of me and it is driving me CRAZY!!

for some more diagnostic information, it has been doing this since i got the car when it had the oem relay tried to play around with it and then i replaced it with an aftermarket relay from autozone but it made no difference.

please help im going dead inside

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Might have been helpful to mention what your TJ you have.

Try snapping the Hazard switch on and off as fast as you can a couple hundred times

·
Registered
65 Posts
Happens randomly on my 04 sport also ,i just activate my signal switch a second then it quits for a few drives then out of the blue this clicking starts again ,like to find reason also ,been doing this for a few years now

·
Registered
18 Posts
Theses are thermal relays. When turned on, ( with the turn signal switch ) the current flows through the relay and heats a spring. The spring gets hot, and opens the connection, stopping the current. The spring then cools down and snaps back, closing the circuit. Repeat....

If you've already replaced the flasher relay, it's most likely that you've got a periodic short somewhere that is drawing current and triggering the relay. Finding the short may be tough, especially if it doesn't happen very often. Usually it's a matter of visually inspecting the wiring and switches. look closely at any place where the isolation may rub off. If the lights aren't actually flashing, the problem is likely somewhere between the flasher and the switch. Maybe the switch itself.

Which I had better advice, but gremlins like this can be hard to track down.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Theses are thermal relays. When turned on, ( with the turn signal switch ) the current flows through the relay and heats a spring. The spring gets hot, and opens the connection, stopping the current. The spring then cools down and snaps back, closing the circuit. Repeat....

If you've already replaced the flasher relay, it's most likely that you've got a periodic short somewhere that is drawing current and triggering the relay. Finding the short may be tough, especially if it doesn't happen very often. Usually it's a matter of visually inspecting the wiring and switches. look closely at any place where the isolation may rub off. If the lights aren't actually flashing, the problem is likely somewhere between the flasher and the switch. Maybe the switch itself.

Which I had better advice, but gremlins like this can be hard to track down.
DWT thank you! I thought a definitive cause was unlikely but you just made my job 80% easier. recently i haven't had the issue as much after following GottaGoFast's advice of flashing the hazards on/off a bunch of times, but if i ever have the issue again i'll remove the steering column cover and check the wires.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Generally this is caused by corrosion in the multifunction switch, specifically the hazard portion...
Excercising the switch rubs the corrosion out....

The 'better' fix is to replace the switch but most of the time isn't needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts