Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using Meguiar's Gold.
After a wash and wax, the wax is gone after about 10 days.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Does it still have the original paint on it? If not, is it a single stage or a base coat/clear coat enamel? Is it water base product? Prep, material quality (including primer/sealer), application of the product, and maintenance of the final result all contribute to the longevity of the entire paint job.

Single stage can turn to junk in exactly no time if allowed to age in the UV without protection. Two stage in a slightly longer time span. Once the clear is gone, it isn’t likely to return.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Try buffing w compound to make the old paint slick again

·
Super Moderator
10,865 Posts
Try buffing w compound to make the old paint slick again
I'd start with a fine polishing compound and do a small area.
Half or a quarter of a hood should do. Polish it, wipe it clean and wax it. If it stays shiny for a satisfactorily long time do the rest of the Jeep.
If not, try a different area with a coarser compound.

I'd want a polishing buffer to do an entire vehicle. A small area by hand isn't too difficult but an entire vehicle, even one as small as a YJ is a real chore.
Harbor Freight has polishing machines that aren't too expensive and should do the job. You want a slow or variable speed buffer.
Some folks recommend a random orbit polisher. Those are good for applying polish or wax, but for a cleaning polish, I'd rather use a circular buffer.
I make a difference between polish (a temporary top finish) and polishing compound (has a very fine grit in it and requires wax or a finishing polish after).

Naturally do the polishing and waxing on a clean vehicle, out of the sunlight.
I think all the modern waxes are good. I wouldn't go for the cheapest nor the most expensive. Cheap waxes are cheap and with the expensive ones, I think you're paying for their advertising.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Super Moderator
10,865 Posts
Wait... you put wax on a YJ? Just kidding. I know a lot of you like them to be shiny.
I painted mine about 5 years ago. I wash it with car wash soap and dry it. I've never waxed it and it still looks great.
The trick is to use top quality paint and spend the time to do the proper prep work. Most paint companies have an "economy" line and a "professional" line or similar names for their cheap and their expensive lines of paint. I used the best single stage urethane enamel available in the paint brand that was available to me at the time.
My Jeep lives in my garage when it's not being driven, so that helps to save it from the intense Colorado sunlight.
I have a couple boogers on the hood from bird poop and some minor scuffs from rubbing against brush on the sides so I'll have to go over the painted surfaces with a cleaning polish and a buffer before winter. Then, I'll have to wax it to cover the almost microscopic swirls that the cleaning polish will leave.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
When I painted mine about 12 years ago I used the best rattle can paint available at my local hardware store. :) I learned a long time ago that cheap spray paint fades much quicker that "good" spray paint. My Jeep is all Krylon this time. The Duplicolor rattle cans really do a nice job though. I used that in college when I was making automotive concept models. By taking my time and doing it right, I could get a beautiful deep shine that is still just as nice today, 25 years later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same troubles once. So to fix it I sprayed the whole thing in black Raptor Liner. So much easier to maintain now. Cleaning just calls for a praesure washer. I’ve had it on for about 6 years now, still as good as the day I sprayed it.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Wait... you put wax on a YJ? Just kidding. I know a lot of you like them to be shiny.
Subject to interpretion….
One man's Wax is another mans Mud

1 - 11 of 11 Posts