Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are there so many JKU's out there with auto tranny and 3.21's??? :banghead:

Ok...I feel better...thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Not totally sure but from what I have heard if you really will be wheeling your rig, an auto tranny is more desirable. Don't know though about that low axle gear?? Seems pointless...lol

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Because most JK's never leave the pavement and are used more as SUV replacements than rock-crawlers.

Keep in mind that with the gearing of the new 5 speed's, 3.21's on a stock Wrangler isn't "that' bad if you are using it as just a daily commuter.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, not buying one with 3.21's. Until I burn up the OEM tires, I won't do anything mod wise to it, but it will get some wheeling. Once I replace tires, probably a small lift (possibly the TF leveling kit) and 33's. Simply see no reason not to have 3.73's.

Just found a nice CG Sahara that's basically what I want. Go to the window sticker...3.21's.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Why not?

·
Registered
121 Posts
It could be a CAFE/corporate/EPA thaing. One of the easiest ways to reduce noise levels in the 30 MPH driveby test is to overgear a vehicle to get the RPM lower. Ducati used to ship their motorcycles to dealers so overgeared it was absurd.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'll stick with my 4.10s

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
btw, I'm actually going to get an auto tranny...just venting about the 3.21's.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I wonder if they have numbers on how many people wheel their jeeps? Maybe that will give you an answer why. Dealers probably base their inventory on demographics

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
I wonder if they have numbers on how many people wheel their jeeps? Maybe that will give you an answer why.
that would be my guess. I was able to test drive two new 2012 sports back to back with the only difference being one had 3.73 and the other 3.21 both Sport S 2drs with automatics. I was dead set on getting 3.73's but after test driving I could not tell the difference in get up and go and I am honest with myself I will not be doing any mud bogging or rock crawling. I will mostly being doing unimporved forest service roads etc and 95% of my time will be spent on normal roads so for me 3.21's make sense. I have put about 1400 miles on my 3 week old week old jeep with about 200 miles on forest service type roads and it is doing just what I need it to do.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I wonder if they have numbers on how many people wheel their jeeps? Maybe that will give you an answer why. Dealers probably base their inventory on demographics
From the 2012 Review...

"This latest Wrangler launched in 2007 with a traditionally skimpy interior treatment. Finally, for the 2011 model year, the cabin received a 21st-century upgrade to go with its best-in-class off-road reputation, a tacit (if belated) acknowledgement that around 80 percent of Wrangler owners don't do much more than drive their rigs on dirt roads"

Everyone should also keep in mind that 3.21's on the new auto tranny are for more aggressive than 3.73's on the old auto tranny.

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Jeep-Wrangler-2012/expert-review/

I test drove both 3.21's and 3.73's back to back...and there was not that huge of a difference. The 3.21's coasted a bit more. But I didn't put them on the highway. Last year I was dead set on 3.21's....but after fighting with Jeep on the tow ratings, I'm going 3.73's just to be able to be able to tow 3500 pounds on a JKU.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
At least you guys know about the gear options. I had no idea what gears I had, or that there were different gears available, till a week after I already purchased mine.

Guess I should've hung out on the boards a little more prior to purchasing. Ah well, now when I re-gear I'm going straight to 4.56 :whistling:

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I was worried when I bought mine with 3.21 but after driving it feels perfect with the new auto and the 3.6. powerful and respectable mpg for a 4x4. I couldnt imagine a lower gear set unless I was going with 35" tires.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Mike- I agree, but most people don't know. I'm a victim also. Where is the sticky- First time jeep owners how to decide on what gears you need.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Because most JK's never leave the pavement and are used more as SUV replacements than rock-crawlers.
There's the reason right there. The target buyer has become soccer moms instead of offroaders.

It could be a CAFE/corporate/EPA thaing. One of the easiest ways to reduce noise levels in the 30 MPH driveby test is to overgear a vehicle to get the RPM lower. Ducati used to ship their motorcycles to dealers so overgeared it was absurd.
I doubt any of that has anything to do with it. All of the standards have to be met by any vehicle combination offered for sale, they don't get a break if 3.21s are 1% more quiet than 3.73s as long as 3.73s still meet the standards. Same with the CAFE numbers. The Wrangler is assigned one set of mileage numbers and it counts the same regardless of gear ratio.

If they leave off the 3.73s the Jeep is $200 cheaper and that's all most people now about gears. But it seems like dealers would order up every reasonable option they could, especially the ones most people don't care about. The make twice the profit margin on options that they make on the Jeep, so options are where the money's at.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i agree with what you are saying except that the 3:73 gear ratio was only 50$ extra here in Canada so i don't know why you wouldn't get it especially if you ever plan on installing tires larger than stock regardless if you do a lot of offroading , because lets face it some guys put lifts in their vehicles and install larger tires just for the look and it would be nice to have the look and not be punished by having the 3:21 gear ratio, i have driven one with 3:21 gears and own one with 3:73 and there is a small difference , i can only imagine the difference would be more noticeable with larger tires.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
Why does that upset you?
because he is looking to buy one off the lot without having to special order perhaps or at least that is how read his post.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I was sure I wanted the 3:73s, drove an auto with the 3:21s, it had all the power I needed. I do go off-road but not rock crawling......and compared to the 94YJ I had this is like driving a turbo mercedes...

·
Registered
152 Posts
My new Unlimited Sport came with the optional 3.73 gears. I wouldn't have it any other way.

On a different note, my first new car was a 1975 Grand Am with 400cid and 2.56 rear gear! What a dog! Had I kept it longer I would have changed the gears. Ah, those were the days! With what's going on in the world we may see those days again. Enjoy them while you can!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts