Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run 31X10.5x15 KO2’s but I saw a guy in a TJ the other day with some pretty narrow KO2’s and I liked em. My suspension is stock and I don’t plan on ever getting a lift so I would prob either stick with 32’s or go a bit smaller.

Narrow vs Wide?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Wide

I have 13.5" wide tires on 15" X 10" wheels and like the extra width. Feels more stable to me.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I currently run 32x10.5x15 KO2’s but I saw a guy in a TJ the other day with some pretty narrow KO2’s and I liked em. My suspension is stock and I don’t plan on ever getting a lift so I would prob either stick with 32’s or go a bit smaller.

Narrow vs Wide?
I wouldn't go over 31x10.50s for a Jeep without a lift.

Reactions: toblerra

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currently run 32x10.5x15 KO2’s but I saw a guy in a TJ the other day with some pretty narrow KO2’s and I liked em. My suspension is stock and I don’t plan on ever getting a lift so I would prob either stick with 32’s or go a bit smaller.

Narrow vs Wide?
I wouldn't go over 31x10.50s for a Jeep without a lift.
I misspoke, I have 31x10.5x15. But I am considering selling these tires and going down to 30’s and going with a narrow tire, I’d have to buy new rims as well.

The old Willy’s had those really narrow tires on them and I’m just wondering why the difference between wide and narrow, different off road advantages maybe?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Pizza cutters RAWK....
Some 31 9.50 15 tsl's would work well

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
What about sand? I’m in the Desert.
depends on the sand/desert. if its soft on the surface but more solid a couple inches down, narrow tires will cut through the soft stuff and get good traction.

if its all soft and loose, a wider tire will help you float above it.

probably best to see what others in the area have to say

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It depends, I'm in southern Utah, some places are sand dunes, others are mostly rock. Part of the reason I'm rethinking my tire situation is because I have a four cylinder auto and I'm thinking that with a narrower tire and maybe an inch or so smaller radius and some alloy rims (I'm running some heavy steel ones now) maybe I'll get a bit more power.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
A smaller diameter tire will help your 2.5L engine/automatic transmission perform dramatically better than it will with a larger diameter tire. That combination is especially sensitive to tire diameter.

Not to mention a narrower tire will not hydroplane as easily or as quickly in Utah's sometimes heavy rainstorms like a wider tire will. Extra wide tires like recommended above are like water skis when there's standing water on the road.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Jerry hit the nail on the head. With a 4 cyl. auto it is more important to choose a tire that your drivetrain will handle. A wider tire will be better for deep sand and washes but will rob some power to turn them. Note; when you get to the sand air down. That helps more than anything.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies! I've been doing a lot of research today and am convinced to go with a narrower tire for sure.

The 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2's are going up on Facebook for sale, likely with their steel rims. I've only had them a year and they've got less than 1000 miles on them so they're basically new. Hopefully I can get a decent price for them, I should have done some research before buying them.

Right now I'm thinking about going with the 31x9.5x15 KO2's with an alloy/aluminum rim. What say you to this option? Should I bump it down another inch and go for a 30x9.5x15? I don't have a lift (so I don't want to go down any smaller than 30) and its just a four cylinder. I also did a re gear to 4.56 earlier this year as well so take that into consideration.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I've been doing a lot of research today and am convinced to go with a narrower tire for sure.

The 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2's are going up on Facebook for sale, likely with their steel rims. I've only had them a year and they've got less than 1000 miles on them so they're basically new. Hopefully I can get a decent price for them, I should have done some research before buying them.

Right now I'm thinking about going with the 31x9.5x15 KO2's with an alloy/aluminum rim. What say you to this option? Should I bump it down another inch and go for a 30x9.5x15? I don't have a lift (so I don't want to go down any smaller than 30) and its just a four cylinder. I also did a re gear to 4.56 earlier this year as well so take that into consideration.
30x9.5" would do well for your needs.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You won't notice much difference going from a 10.50 to a 9.50 with the same diameter even w lighter rims...
It'll help but dropping diameter is where you'll notice a big power gain....
235 75 15's would be worth considering
Or 30 9.50 15's

·
Registered
79 Posts
We are seniors...We bought our 2000 TJ in June. It has a 3" lift ..
which we are ok with.

Our rims are Mickey Thompson
with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrack 33x12.50x15Lt

the tires are close to needing to be replaced

We want to downsize the new tires as our primary use of the tj is towing it behind the motorhome and having fun at our destination... our off road driving will be limited to easy/moderate...nothing too exciting...
31x10.5x15 was recommended today...is this too narrow with the lift kit?
...will this tire fit on the Mickey Thompson rims? we are looking for an all weather/all terrain tire with not an aggressive tread...if that is made!

We appreciate any suggestions you all can send this direction !

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We are seniors...We bought our 2000 TJ in June. It has a 3" lift ..
which we are ok with.

Our rims are Mickey Thompson
with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrack 33x12.50x15Lt

the tires are close to needing to be replaced

We want to downsize the new tires as our primary use of the tj is towing it behind the motorhome and having fun at our destination... our off road driving will be limited to easy/moderate...nothing too exciting...
31x10.5x15 was recommended today...is this too narrow with the lift kit?
...will this tire fit on the Mickey Thompson rims? we are looking for an all weather/all terrain tire with not an aggressive tread...if that is made!

We appreciate any suggestions you all can send this direction !
If you were closer, I'd sell you my 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2's with the rims, they've got less than 1000 miles on them and are basically new. But I see that your in Kansas, and I'm in Southern Utah. :/

As far as the Mickey Thompson rims, there's no way to know if they would fit without the specs on your rims, what's the width?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts

I wouldn't go lower than 31s if you are running 4.56 gears, especially if you do any highway driving.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wouldn't go lower than 31s if you are running 4.56 gears, especially if you do any highway driving.
THANK YOU ! the fella we bought TJ from sez gearing is stock 3.73.
He told us if we went with smaller tires we would get better performance on the hiway..not much difference in town...
any feedback on this is appreciated !!

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you were closer, I'd sell you my 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2's with the rims, they've got less than 1000 miles on them and are basically new. But I see that your in Kansas, and I'm in Southern Utah. :/

As far as the Mickey Thompson rims, there's no way to know if they would fit without the specs on your rims, what's the width?
Thanks for the offer...we were in So Colorado 3 weeks ago !! and have traveled Utah much ! Love it !
Regarding the rims...Rons tire guy sez to bring it in...he will take a look at it..sez he must pull a tire as rim size is on the inside. Next week we will address that...a local tire guy sez we should be able to downsize to 10.5 with any issues....we shall see.
I went to the Goodyear site and there is no infor there...and have been to Mickey Thompson site...with no results.

Ron used to do all this stuff himself and very well. Now, in our latter years he choses to NOT..so bear with dealing with me, rather than him..as he is not a computer guy and nor does he want to pull a tire...or do anything else he did several years ago. FORTUNATELY...he still wants to go and enjoys my choice of getting a Jeep !!
:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts