Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the point of crying today.

She was in a lot of pain because of the constant small potholes we could not avoid and the small 3 and 4 rating obstacles. So...

How can I soften the ride? Fat 33" tires? Lift and 35" tires? I was thinking about a leveling kit and fat 33" tires before today but now I'm not sure.

Background:
We have a stock 2017 Willys 2-door. This is my daily driver for the foreseeable future. I don't have an air compressor so kept the tire pressure at about 35psi.

I appreciate any insight offered.

Cheers!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Air it down... way too high tire pressure. I'm a fan of 15-18 psi off-road.

·
Registered
884 Posts
There are a few things. I took my wife wheeling for the Winter Jam in Hurricane, Utah 6 weeks after full on gall bladder surgery. It was not laporoscopic. It was likely one of the most miserable things that she could have done, and she was frequently in tears. The bumpy trails were killing her. It happens, but fortunately, she knows that she usually enjoys it, and was able to put the pain aside.
First, if you have larger tires, you can significantly lower the pressure. Unless they are Toyo ten plies, then you might as well keep them full pressure. A nice flexible side wall will help the off-road ride. I like my Grabbers, but there are plenty of tires that will work. That means that in order to do it properly, you will need to get a compressor or CO2 tank. I have an onboard air system. I like it a lot
You could also change your suspension. The proper springs will soften the ride significantly when paired with a quality shock. There are the thousand opinions on this, but rest assured that the best riding shock and suspension is not the cheapest. In fact, they are probably among the most expensive, but, they will be problem free.
Quality does not come cheap, and there is no place that is not more true than on jeep parts,

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,314 Posts
Airing down and disconnecting the sway bar both make a big improvement to the ride off road...for forest roads we usually do down to around 25 which would works OK on the highway for a short distance to get to the nearest gas station to re inflate the tires - although we do have a compressor.

Compressor is Viair 88p - about $50 on amazon
Disconnects are JKS Quicker Disconnects - about $150 on amazon - there are probably cheaper alternatives but these work great and are Made in the USA

So about $200 for a MUCH more comfortable ride off road (and better traction for rocks too)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are a few things. I took my wife wheeling for the Winter Jam in Hurricane, Utah 6 weeks after full on gall bladder surgery. It was not laporoscopic. It was likely one of the most miserable things that she could have done, and she was frequently in tears. The bumpy trails were killing her. It happens, but fortunately, she knows that she usually enjoys it, and was able to put the pain aside.
First, if you have larger tires, you can significantly lower the pressure. Unless they are Toyo ten plies, then you might as well keep them full pressure. A nice flexible side wall will help the off-road ride. I like my Grabbers, but there are plenty of tires that will work. That means that in order to do it properly, you will need to get a compressor or CO2 tank. I have an onboard air system. I like it a lot
You could also change your suspension. The proper springs will soften the ride significantly when paired with a quality shock. There are the thousand opinions on this, but rest assured that the best riding shock and suspension is not the cheapest. In fact, they are probably among the most expensive, but, they will be problem free.
Quality does not come cheap, and there is no place that is not more true than on jeep parts,
Thanks for the reply :thumb:

You think 33" tires are big enough if I get them wide?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Airing down and disconnecting the sway bar both make a big improvement to the ride off road...for forest roads we usually do down to around 25 which would works OK on the highway for a short distance to get to the nearest gas station to re inflate the tires - although we do have a compressor.

Compressor is Viair 88p - about $50 on amazon
Disconnects are JKS Quicker Disconnects - about $150 on amazon - there are probably cheaper alternatives but these work great and are Made in the USA

So about $200 for a MUCH more comfortable ride off road (and better traction for rocks too)
So now I'll be adding sway bar disconnect to my growing list haha! Thanks for the suggestions :thumb:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Leave her at home? Kidding. I think.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,314 Posts
So now I'll be adding sway bar disconnect to my growing list haha! Thanks for the suggestions :thumb:
How about getting her to drive - I don't know why but trails always seem rougher when you are the passenger. And you know that when you go wheeling in a JK with more than 1 friend you put the best friend in the front and the others in the back right? :)

Reactions: Bonker

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
To the point of crying today.

She was in a lot of pain because of the constant small potholes we could not avoid and the small 3 and 4 rating obstacles
IMO this might be the wrong vehicle for her. The JK is the best riding Wrangler compared to the older versions. "Softening" the ride with lower tire pressures and sway bar disconnects can only go so far. Lower the crawl speeds and some dramamine or scopolamine patches?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about getting her to drive - I don't know why but trails always seem rougher when you are the passenger. And you know that when you go wheeling in a JK with more than 1 friend you put the best friend in the front and the others in the back right? :)
The rear bench is in a big plastic bag in the garage :)

I'll offer to let her drive and see. Thanks :thumb:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMO this might be the wrong vehicle for her. The JK is the best riding Wrangler compared to the older versions. "Softening" the ride with lower tire pressures and sway bar disconnects can only go so far. Lower the crawl speeds and some dramamine or scopolamine patches?
It was really the side to side motion, the jarring bumps, her stress over me trying some rocky climbs less than a month into owning my first Jeep. Her core and neck got stiffer and stiffer as the day went on. She was banging her elbow on the door a lot.

Maybe I was driving too fast or too slow. I found that the pitted roads were a little less jarring if I upped the speed a little, like 20mph instead of 10mph. And the rocky stuff we did in 4low and 1st gear anyway.

I think a lot of these suggestions could help and excuses to get stuff are always good right? :p ;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
85 Posts
My wife doesn't like off roading either. Which causes me to not enjoy it. To the point where for everyone's sanity, I would honestly rather her not come along. I'll look over and see her looking utterly terrified and holding on as if we were in a crashing plane and it just stresses me out. Bring a friend instead.

I air down the stock Rubicon tires to 10psi off road. If you don't air down, I think you'll be surprised by how much better it handles when you do. It helps significantly with the ride IMO. Also disconnecting the front end makes a world of difference. On the road i run them at 35. Get a cheap compressor as previously suggested.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
As suggested....get a small portable air compressor Air down to 15psi or so, disconnect the sway bar. World of difference.
My wife doesn't like wheeling much either but when we run aired down and disconnect the sway bar she says it's great. She says it feels like a boat floating.

I have 35" tires. I run them on the pavement at 30psi. Anything more is just way too harsh on me and the wife.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Like just about everyone has said airing down makes a world of difference.
Now dont take this the wrong way but does she feel obligated to go? Maybe she thinks she has to go to support you and maybe she just doesent like it and would rather stay home or do things with her friends. I hope you arent offended with that statement but my wife could take it or leave it. Theres been times Ive told her to feel free not to go because it really isnt her thing.However she usually sucks it up and goes. Maybe like someone else said offer to let her drive. Hope any/all of this helps.

·
Registered
379 Posts
It was really the side to side motion, the jarring bumps, her stress over me trying some rocky climbs less than a month into owning my first Jeep. Her core and neck got stiffer and stiffer as the day went on. She was banging her elbow on the door a lot.

Maybe I was driving too fast or too slow. I found that the pitted roads were a little less jarring if I upped the speed a little, like 20mph instead of 10mph. And the rocky stuff we did in 4low and 1st gear anyway.

I think a lot of these suggestions could help and excuses to get stuff are always good right? :p ;)

Cheers!
I have same car as yours, just the 2016 model.
as people said, first you air down at least to 18 psi. get a portable air compressor that plugs to your battery, it costs $50 a good one for big tiers. mine does a great job.

second disconnect the sway bar, you can easily do using a wrench. if you really want quick disconnectors, they are as cheap as $20.

just do this two things and your off road ride as well as capability will change like from night to day.

Unless you do hard core stuff you do jot need to change suspensions and tires on a Willys model. With stock tires, suspensions and rear LDS locker you can tackle moderate to advanced trails.

try it and see ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My wife doesn't like off roading either. Which causes me to not enjoy it. To the point where for everyone's sanity, I would honestly rather her not come along. I'll look over and see her looking utterly terrified and holding on as if we were in a crashing plane and it just stresses me out. Bring a friend instead.

I air down the stock Rubicon tires to 10psi off road. If you don't air down, I think you'll be surprised by how much better it handles when you do. It helps significantly with the ride IMO. Also disconnecting the front end makes a world of difference. On the road i run them at 35. Get a cheap compressor as previously suggested.
I hear you regarding bringing a friend. That will happen as soon as I convince someone driving on crappy roads is fun ;) or I make new friends :thumb:

And shopping compressors and sway bar disconnects...

Cheers!

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
After thinking about this thread I started thinking, does she have an injury or a back problem.I would think you must be slamming holes really darn hard if she is on the verge of actually crying.

·
Super Moderator
13,303 Posts
After thinking about this thread I started thinking, does she have an injury or a back problem.I would think you must be slamming holes really darn hard if she is on the verge of actually crying.
I was thinking the same thing. If your wife has a bad back or some other infirmity, I commend you for being thoughtful and wanting wife to be comfortable.
In addition to the above mentioned suggestions, perhaps a different (aftermarket) seat with more lateral support.
I think if she drove for part of the trail she may be more in sync with how a Jeep moves and accepting of how you drive.

If your wife has no infirmities, perhaps she'd like to go to a movie while you and your buddies take to the trail. Or be dropped off at mommas with the kids.

My wife gets spooked on narrow shelf roads and steep tippy grades. When I see that type of stretch of road ahead, I ask her to get out and guide me. I don't really need the guidance (usually) but it gets her out of the jeep and she feels safe.

There is usually some compromise that couples can come up with if they really want to be together.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts