Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did some light wheeling ifor a couple of years in the JKU but were always worried about dents and pinstripes. She decided to sell her car and DD the Jeep. I thought about buying a used JK but I just don't want to beat on something I just spent 20k on.
So, we've decided to spend around 5k on something I can dent/scratch or break and not really care. I would like something that still has a removable top if possible. My thoughts are these,
Sami, 1st gen 4runner, Sidekick or Amigo. I can't stand carburetors so I know that the Sami will need an engine swap from a Sidekick. Is there something cool that I am forgetting?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sawzal's can turn anything topless, that is correct. I've thought about Trackers/Sidekicks but they look absolutely horrible.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sawzal's can turn anything topless, that is correct. I've thought about Trackers/Sidekicks but they look absolutely horrible.
I agree...... but think of the joy it will bring when you lay it on it’s side! Trackers aren’t so bad..... just remove the doors and other things that make them look like trackers!

·
Registered
878 Posts
If I were looking into an older rig just for trails I'd be looking at older 2dr Tacoma pickups.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do like Taco's, I have one for my DD. Our trail beater needs to hold 3 people and a dog so the 2 door Taco is a no go. I have wheeled my Taco a little before and the rear overhang was just too long for what I'm looking for.
I've never owned a YJ, they have carbs right? They have leaf springs front and rear, how does that compare to the coil springs on TJ/JKs?

·
Registered
878 Posts
A short bed taco with 40s is a beast. I do not like leaf springs on a Jeep. IMO you'd be better off with an XJ.

·
Super Moderator
22,440 Posts
X2 on the XJ. for $5000 you can have a very capable rig.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been eyeing XJ's for a while. Doesn't have the top off feel, but maybe we can get over that. I love the look of a lifted 2 or 4 door XJ.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decided that I am going to spend a couple of grand more and get another TJ. The JKU goes up for sale this weekend after I give it a good cleaning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts