Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She went one on one with a deer at 70 mph on the highway this morning.

Redrock Approach bumper ($299) at Extreme Terrain took the hit.

Only damage to the Jeep is the cheap, worthless fog light. I had been planning on upgrading those, anyway.

Deer didn't fare so well.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow glad your wife is ok and the jeep is still in one piece. Thanks for sharing as I am looking for a new front bumper!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes! My LOD bumper has paid for itself at least twofold (I slid into a tree and wife borrowed jeep and plowed into the back of a civic). Luckily in all cases nobody was hurt and rattlecan black covered all the damage (to the jeep that is).

Reactions: AJLO12

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Venison tonite????? ;-)
Unfortunately, no. She was on her way to work, so she pulled over, called me, checked for damage, and called highway patrol about the carcass. Then she proceeded to work after stopping at a car wash.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Glad she's okay ------ time for some JW Speaker headlights so she sees the deer sooner next time....

Reactions: mrcarcrazy

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
years ago my ex ran over a deer that had already been hit. she was in a Saturn ion. splattered deer guts, skin, etc were flung into every possible crevice under the vehicle. it was towed to a shop and put on a lift for evaluation. shop manager said that the tech almost threw up and had to go home early haha. if she was in a jeep she could have cruised right over it

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
It was already daylight when she hit it. We have a lot of deer in Jackson county.
Dang determined deer!

I almost hit a coyote this morning as I came home from the gym. I really tried...

Reactions: Texan42

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang determined deer!

I almost hit a coyote this morning as I came home from the gym. I really tried...
You have no idea how determined these deer are.

Sometimes I walk out of my front door and there are several of them in my front yard just staring at me.

We've gotten accustomed to looking for them while driving, but usually when you see one, there are 3 others hiding in the bushes just waiting to jump in front of you.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Glad your wife and the Jeep are ok. A buddy of mine hit an elk 2 weeks ago doing 80 in his Kia...the A pillar decapitated that elk. So dangerous and one hell of a mess.

Funny how people will spend days in the wild hunting deer with a rifle...we can take one out in a Jeep doing 70 MPH! Elusive creatures aren't they...

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She just called. After closer inspection, the grille is cracked and she's worried that the radiator has a leak. There's still coolant in the reservoir, so I told her to drive it home, but keep an eye on the temp gauge. I'll check it out when I get home.

·
Registered
598 Posts
She just called. After closer inspection, the grille is cracked and she's worried that the radiator has a leak. There's still coolant in the reservoir, so I told her to drive it home, but keep an eye on the temp gauge. I'll check it out when I get home.

Bummer if it got to the radiator. At least nobody got hurt and obviously the damage would have been much worse with the plastic jug stock bumper.

Where do you call home? I'm in Iowa, and dodging deer turns into a daily ordeal during the fall rut season.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This Is Awesome!!

What's the easiest/cheapest way to add some protection to the stock bumper without completely swapping it out?

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
You have no idea how determined these deer are.

Sometimes I walk out of my front door and there are several of them in my front yard just staring at me.

We've gotten accustomed to looking for them while driving, but usually when you see one, there are 3 others hiding in the bushes just waiting to jump in front of you.
Deer, the hooligan punks of the animal kingdom.
Little known factoid ----- young unemployed deer will hide by the side of the road, egging on the younger/stupider ones to dash across the road.
"C'mon, Jimmy, do it. Do it. Run across the road! That Jeep is slow; it can't hit you. You're fast, Jimmy, fast..."

Poor Jimmy.
Don't succumb to peer pressure. Don't be a Jimmy.

Reactions: Prages and Texan42

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bummer if it got to the radiator. At least nobody got hurt and obviously the damage would have been much worse with the plastic jug stock bumper.

Where do you call home? I'm in Iowa, and dodging deer turns into a daily ordeal during the fall rut season.
Yeah, the rut is a dangerous time if year for deer and vehicles.......bucks chasing does, etc. Its like being in a Frogger game!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
glad the jeep is for the most part ok.

it wasn't two, maybe three weeks after i first got my jeep that i had a deer run out in front of me. luckily by that time i already had my steel full width bumper on her! i managed to slow down enough that it only hit the outer tube and it pushed it back a bit (damn fat deer!), but the deer was just fine and looking back at us when we stopped!

i swear, its the first couple weeks of new car ownership that the worst crap will happen!

the shit everywhere reminds me of when my friend hit a cow with hit s10. it had cow poo EVERYWHERE!

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Did you ever hear of musk deer?
I had a colleague from Siberia and he said these things were running around there like squirrels.
Freakin vampire deer. No thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts