Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all the stuff to instill the CB but now I look at it I think I'm going to mess up the usage of the back glass. I have the spare tire mount for the antenna but now I look at it even with the back gate open it looks like the back glass will not even open. Can y'all with hard tops and antennas help me out. It looks like the best place to put the antenna but I don't want to mess up the back I open it a lot. My antenna is a 3 foot one if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have all the stuff to instill the CB but now I look at it I think I'm going to mess up the usage of the back glass. I have the spare tire mount for the antenna but now I look at it even with the back gate open it looks like the back glass will not even open. Can y'all with hard tops and antennas help me out. It looks like the best place to put the antenna but I don't want to mess up the back I open it a lot. My antenna is a 3 foot one if that makes any difference.
I have a Wilson flex antenna and can flex and tuck it when driving with the glass open. If you get a rigid antenna you are out of luck.

I have a Teraflex mount and flipped it, mounted to bottom drivers side carrier mount to lower the antenna to prevent banging in garages. Works great.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
You'll have to open the back gate completely to clear the antenna. If you prefer you can get a license plate bracket antenna mount.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Spare tire carrier mounted antenna here. No issues with the glass. It's close but it clears when it's fully open.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I have the Teraflex HD hinge and tire carrier so I bought the Teraflex hinge CB antenna mount. I tried it yesterday, I am still able to keep the rear window open (up) and slightly move my antenna to the side if I want to drive with the rear window open.
CB antenna mount

Installed on Teraflex HD hinge

I went with this antenna mount just for this reason.

·
Super Moderator
10,641 Posts
Yes, you will need to open the gate. But you have to do that right now anyway, as the lift glass won't open or close with the gate closed.

I mounted the CB antenna on the driver side of the tire carrier, this way the antenna clears sooner than mounted on the passenger side of the carrier.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I have the Teraflex mount that goes on the top right side of the stock tire carrier. I can't only clear the glass when my tailgate is open all the way. The only time it's a problem is if I'm on uneven ground and the tailgate wants to close. I have to let the antenna rest against the edge of the glass.

I am considering different spots since I installed my bumper with tire carrier. There is a place on the new tire carrier to mount it but I'd like to get it out of the way entirely.

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Nature Photog and Jeeper
2,981 Posts
How are you going to open the back glass with the tailgate closed anyway? The spare tire would get in the way......so you'd have to open the tailgate all the way to open the window anyway (and since the antenna is mounted to the spare - it'll swing out of the way too)

unless you're talking about driving around with the back window open and the tailgate shut (which IMHO isn't very smart because they weren't designed to be run that way and you can easily shatter the glass - but I'm sure people will come in here to defend that they do it just fine)

·
Registered
172 Posts
How are you going to open the back glass with the tailgate closed anyway? The spare tire would get in the way......so you'd have to open the tailgate all the way to open the window anyway (and since the antenna is mounted to the spare - it'll swing out of the way too)
Haha, good point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts