Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever try zipping a regular (clear) soft top window into a premium soft top? I have a little DIY mod in mind that would involve a second set of windows for my 2014 JKU, and I'd rather go cheap on the second set if possible.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
It will depend on the year of the windows. I believe it was 2011 when at least the rear window was made bigger. So, just make sure what year your top is and order windows for the correct year.

Are you thinking screen? Or blacked out? :D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a fella in the For Sale forum looking to unload his 2014 clear windows. And I have a 2014 also... Hmm...

I'm looking to set up a scenario where I ride in sunrider mode but my dogs still get to enjoy the fresh air in back. (I've got a baby, so likely won't be dropping the top all the way down when she's with me.) What I had in mind was getting a cheap second set of windows, cutting out the plastic and replacing it with a webbing of red bungee rope to match my red paint.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, the screen idea would work pretty well, too, I bet. There's some stretchy kinda screen window replacement roll you can get at Lowe's/Home Depot that would do the trick just fine, with a bit of sewing. I'm kinda digging the thought of the red-on-red look, though!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Sounds like a cool idea! Make sure you let us know how it goes! :thumb:

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
There's a fella in the For Sale forum looking to unload his 2014 clear windows. And I have a 2014 also... Hmm...

I'm looking to set up a scenario where I ride in sunrider mode but my dogs still get to enjoy the fresh air in back. (I've got a baby, so likely won't be dropping the top all the way down when she's with me.) What I had in mind was getting a cheap second set of windows, cutting out the plastic and replacing it with a webbing of red bungee rope to match my red paint.
Yeah, I thought about doing something like that as well. There is a poster here who actually makes those already...but I want to say that they use the pre 2011 windows, and are not in twill.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a poster here who actually makes those already...but I want to say that they use the pre 2011 windows, and are not in twill.
Yep, I contacted him already and they are not a fit. That's actually how I started brainstorming on the homemade stuff. Thanks for the heads up, though.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI, they fit just fine. I hope to get my little dog windows project underway soon and will share the results.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the in progress version of the project. (I'm driving it today and will make any needed adjustments to the tension in the rope.) While the zippers are a match, the non-premium panel is a mighty tight squeeze, and so far I can't get the top ~20% of the window into the slot in the door. The good news is that the fit is so tight that I didn't have any flapping problems with it on my 27 mile highway commute between 60-65mph. I'm hoping it may stretch a bit in the summer heat, although it doesn't seem to have nearly the flex of the premium fabric.

13983174339_df07935bab_n.jpg

13983201897_50681e9bfe_n.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts