Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be some contention on this. Some say it will improve your HP as you are taking in more cleaner cold air, compared to hot engine air. Others have said that the length and angles of the snorkel will reduce your air flow, thus lowering your HP.

Looking at the AEV or K&N Snorkels.

Also, for those of you that have snorkels, did you notice any drag at higher speeds on the road, or any whistling sound? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,847 Posts
My opinion on this (and we know what they are like) is that any HP gains or losses will be so small that you won't notice it. A snorkel is hardly a finely tuned air intake so nothing in the design (nor is it intended to) is going to create HP gains. The other side of this is that neither the 3.8 or 3.6 is a fire breathing, high HP race motor that needs copious amounts of air so I don't think that there is any real restrictions created by the snorkel either.

·
Registered
642 Posts
agree'd.
more to ponder, the length of inlet tubing a snorkel has and the sharp bends the air is required to make to finally arrive at the intake manifold both work against air flow, any thoughts on gains due to "ram air" are very likely offset by the added restrictions inherent to the length/bends.
At best it's a wash... "I" would guess it's more of a restriction.
And, as noted above, to see any measurable differences you would need repeatable track data with accurate timing (drag strip). ~10hp either way is not going to be "felt" in a 4000+lb vehicle.

Reactions: USStrongman

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To me, any gain would be probably minimal and whether or not, does not matter. But, what would concern me if installed one, if I would have a loss of HP. I sure do not want to go that direction!

I will be honest, I doubt I will ever be going through stream again with a snorkel - been there, done that... and scared the crap out of me. Did see the benefit for using them on dusty roads, which I ran very often. So could see that aspect, though nowhere near what I sue to run overseas. So I will be honest, it probably has more to do so with the look, and the sentimental value. But, during summer time, hitting the back dusty gravel/dirt roads would be good. Though probably not really needed.

I also ponder at times, if a AEV heat reduction hood would be overall beneficial for the price -- performance wise, not just looks wise which is subjective.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
No. What it will do is act as a cleaner and cooler source of air. Any "cold air intake" for a Wrangler doesn't exist, so this is the closest thing to it.

Reactions: RJames55

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
First please let me state, "I have no desire to go thru water that deep."
No the snorkel isn't going to improve the intake either IMO. If you want to experience "Cold Air Intake," just remove the hood for a couple days and see how that effects your HP.

I believe there is plenty of air movement under the hood between the effects of driving and the fan pulling/blowing air thru the radiator and over the engine. I think if we could "really see" the air flow in an engine compartment, we would be surprised.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
If you're not fording rivers, then there's minimal utility factor, and big risk of poseur factor.

While cold-air is a consideration, even that benefit will be marginal and likely counteracted not only by the restricted airflow, but also by the added drag of the snorkel itself at higher speeds. It's biggest benefit would be for quick take-off and even then you're limited by other components, so net gain vs net expense... likely better to invest elsewhere.

So if you're wheeling a lot and worry about water and even mud splashes in the bay from big puddles, fine, but realistically the stock air intake is well situated and designed to minimize the negatives if you're not going to be crossing streams prior to the apocalypse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
First please let me state, "I have no desire to go thru water that deep."

No the snorkel isn't going to improve the intake either IMO. If you want to experience "Cold Air Intake," just remove the hood for a couple days and see how that effects your HP.

I believe there is plenty of air movement under the hood between the effects of driving and the fan pulling/blowing air thru the radiator and over the engine. I think if we could "really see" the air flow in an engine compartment, we would be surprised.

I just started mods on my 2012 JKU Sahara. My boyfriend bought and installed the rugged ridge snorkel which had minimal body cutting to install. Having it now since Christmas I don't notice THAT much of a HP increase. Maybe a little less lag up elevated roads but I have noticed a slight increase in my gas mileage.

Another beauty of this snorkel kit is if you're not looking to go through deep water, you can either install the full snorkel or it also comes with a low profile intake box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Well, a subject I just love. All things being equal there will not be any improvement or at least very little improvement over stock. The engineers did a good job on the intake system, providing all the air the engine could ever need. But it is still a short ram and all short rams suffer from the sane problem, high IAT.

High IAT is probably the number one reason for lose of power in a modern engine. As IAT rises timing get pulled, fuel gets pulled, and that equals less power. I monitor my IAT like a hawk. In normal driving conditions my IAT will be 10-20 degrees higher than ambient. In stop and go traffic I have seen it 100 degrees above ambient. In cases like this it can take about a hour on the freeway for the temp to get back to normal.

I have not spent the time and money to map the IAT and timing with my Jeep. But in the Vette world high IAT meant a loss of 10% or a little more in power. I am betting that the same hold trues in any modern vehicle. With a snorkel you at least are pulling in ambient air and IAT should be close to that. If you can keep the IAT very close to ambient you will not lose power as fast as the guy who does not.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'll say it'll help you "maintain" your HP output.

What do I mean by that?

In the summer especially, you won't be sucking in hot, underhood air, you'll be getting somewhat cooler air from outside, so you won't lose as much power.

To get a power increase, from the Ram Air Effect of the snorkel, well....those speeds aren't advised to do in a Wrangler.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Air restriction for the inner fender models is real. Not so much for the AEV or River Raider style. Big pipes and few bends are the key..

·
Registered
3 Posts
From all the looking and reading I have been able to find it seems that all the evidence provided for or against snorkels is subjective. At the very least a snorkel does provide a higher air intake than the stock intake. Whether this can provide consistent protection for flooding is another matter. Does this protection warrant daily use at the possible loss of performance? Does the snorkel even affect performance? The only real evidence I have been able to find was the "Jeep JK RIPP Supercharger SNORKEL TEST" videos run by RIPP Supercharger. These tests seem to suggest that adding an above the fender snorkel (AEV style) with what seems to be a prefilter, does restrict airflow and thus reduces HP. But I question the validity of this test in terms of being indicative of snorkels in general. For one, the test uses a specific snorkel with an attachment that may be the cause of airflow restriction. Secondly, the test is run in a garage. This hardly replicates real driving conditions, specifically the ram air effect that could possibly increase the airflow lacking in the test results.
I have a hard time accepting that no one has taken the time to properly test performance with a snorkel versus without a snorkel. I am encouraged by anecdotal evidence such as that presented by QNS2bk, but would like to see this backed by research based evidence.
Does anyone know of a valid and reliable real world driving test that suggests whether performance is hindered or bolstered by the addition of a snorkel?

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
57,934 Posts
From all the looking and reading I have been able to find it seems that all the evidence provided for or against snorkels is subjective. At the very least a snorkel does provide a higher air intake than the stock intake. Whether this can provide consistent protection for flooding is another matter. Does this protection warrant daily use at the possible loss of performance? Does the snorkel even affect performance? The only real evidence I have been able to find was the "Jeep JK RIPP Supercharger SNORKEL TEST" videos run by RIPP Supercharger. These tests seem to suggest that adding an above the fender snorkel (AEV style) with what seems to be a prefilter, does restrict airflow and thus reduces HP. But I question the validity of this test in terms of being indicative of snorkels in general. For one, the test uses a specific snorkel with an attachment that may be the cause of airflow restriction. Secondly, the test is run in a garage. This hardly replicates real driving conditions, specifically the ram air effect that could possibly increase the airflow lacking in the test results.
I have a hard time accepting that no one has taken the time to properly test performance with a snorkel versus without a snorkel. I am encouraged by anecdotal evidence such as that presented by QNS2bk, but would like to see this backed by research based evidence.
Does anyone know of a valid and reliable real world driving test that suggests whether performance is hindered or bolstered by the addition of a snorkel?
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,145 Posts
None. The advantage of snorkels is well known: improved depth for fjording.
@TerryC6 is right, high IAT is a ECU nightmare for performance. Does the snorkel provide lower temps at speed? Its seems logical, but... with the tumble of air through three major ~90*° bends (Intake, hood, manifold) in the AEV snorkel and even mroe in the RR unit, the loss of "ram effect" seems pretty clear. All ram effect vehicles whether in a hemi Cuda, Suzuki GSXR 750 SRAD, NHRA Top Fuel dragster or any direct air "speed induced injection" system, the air has little tumble due to there being no to little impedance into the FI intake.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
To add what @USStrongman has said ram air really does not come into play until you are close to if not over 100 mph. Also the scoops on the snorkels is rather small. The scoops we used on our Corvettes are probably 4 times the size.

But RIPP's test is flawed. First the snorkel system was not designed to handle the air requirement needed for a super charger. Second as everyone should know is is filter in general will hurt flow. The trade off off course is longer life out the engine. Adding a pre-filter is further going to hurt air flow. Is this going to impact a stock engine, unlikely. In addition you are probably not going to run a pre-filter on a day to day basis.

IMO there is only an upside to having a snorkel system. All the systems should flow more air than the stock setup and it can already provide the engine with more air than it needs. You should get the coolest air possible which may help when it comes to IAT and timing. The ability to run a pre-filter is great if wheeling in dusty locals and off course the real reason not having to worry about hydro lock when the water gets a little high. The only issue is cost.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the ARB (safari) snorkel.

You wont get HP gain, what you gain is cooler air for the engine. It does improve efficiency and you may gain 2mpg, the engine does seems to response better too, but I doubt you can call that HP gain, also at full throttle you get to hear nice engine roar coming from the the snorkel, so that's a plus LOL.

How much cooler air you may ask, at highway speed the intake air temperature will read 5 to 10 degrees above the air temperature, stop traffic it goes 20 higher. ARB is designed to Ram air to the box, even though some people think it is restrictive.

The instructions, make it look like a pain to install it, but in reality is way easier. The cutting is minimal with the ARB, just a half moon cut around 4'' in diameter, maybe even less to the metal fender. The rest is just cheap plastic trimming to the inner fender and battery tray, the air box modification is the most tedious part. the Box mod on the AEV is easier but you have to cut the hood, and i much rather cut a fender than the hood.

IMHO it is a worth it mod, cleaner air, cooler, and in case of high water better be safe than sorry, I live in Houston so it is common here to see high water close to bumper high, and off road sometimes hidden holes can make your nose dive enough to put the stock air box under water for a few seconds.

One thing to always keep in mind. A snorkel will not make your Jeep a submarine, it is just a tool to buy you time to overcome or get out of a tricky situation,

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
No one mentioned the "cool" factor, not referring to IAT but impressing other jeeper's at the mall.

Frankly, (and just my personal opinion) I find them quite detracting.

If you need one for high water then that they will do fine with, but HP gains because of the cooler denser air... insignificant enough to called pretty much useless. Great for dynometer chasers though!

There is a slight risk with them in really cold temperatures.... the vehicle stays in open loop longer.... sometimes long enough to trigger the engine light.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
None. The advantage of snorkels is well known: improved depth for fjording.
@TerryC6 is right, high IAT is a ECU nightmare for performance. Does the snorkel provide lower temps at speed? Its seems logical, but... with the tumble of air through three major ~90*° bends (Intake, hood, manifold) in the AEV snorkel and even mroe in the RR unit, the loss of "ram effect" seems pretty clear. All ram effect vehicles whether in a hemi Cuda, Suzuki GSXR 750 SRAD, NHRA Top Fuel dragster or any direct air "speed induced injection" system, the air has little tumble due to there being no to little impedance into the FI intake.

I watch my iat as well (the torque dials come up on my screen automatically as I start the jeep.) It can go up pretty good when stopped, but I have never seen or felt an issue because of it. Jeep operating characteristics are pretty much exactly the same with iat at ambient or 100 degrees over. That leads me to believe that ecu's are quite nicely programmed to deal with it. Sorry... I'm just not seeing this nightmare.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
If you need one for high water then that they will do fine with, but HP gains because of the cooler denser air... insignificant enough to called pretty much useless. Great for dynometer chasers though!

I use to think a snorkel was for high water, until I was "corrected" here that they are really for scooping up cleaner air when driving on a dusty/dirty trail.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts