Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will Discount Tire (or other big chain) give me trouble:

....If I go with the 17x8 Rockstar II wheels as opposed to the 17x9 wheels since I'm going to run 35 Nitto Trails grapplers or 35"BFG MTs. I notice both of their websites state minimal rim width is 8.5".

Trail Grappler Mud Terrain Light Truck Tire

I"ve seen plenty of people on here running 35s on stock Rubi wheels which aren't even 8" so I guess it can be done.

(I'm kind of leaning toward the 17x8 as the 17x9 Rockstar II sticks out further (about 0.5" further than the 17x18)

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Are you married to that particular tire?
There are a bunch of 315/70-17s that can be mounted on an 8" wheel.
The Cooper ST has the most meat with 20/32s...
MasterCraft Courser MXT is a bargain at $235; made by Cooper

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good point

Thanks for both of the replies. Good point on the 315/70/17s...I did notice that the 315/70/17 size were OK with 8" rims per their chart while the 35x12.5 were not...weird considering how close in size they are.

I may just look at 315/70/17 options since they seem to be ok with the 8" rim. The weirdest things is how little info I can find online on which wheel to go with. Per my own (possibly wrong) calculations:

Rockstar ii wheels:
17x8 with 5" BS (+10 offset)= 4" of wheel from the mounting surface to the outer lip of the rim.

17x9 with 4.5 BS (-12 offset)=5.5" of wheel from the mounting surface to the outer lip of the rim.

So to me it appears that the 17x9 wheels will stick out 1.5" further than the 17x8 wheels??

I'm gonna keep looking for pics of the wheels that have the size listed to help make a decision

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discount has a tire backspace/offset calculator on their computers. They can tell you how that all will look on your Jeep.
fwiw, I just installed ProComp 7089 alloys in the good old 16x8 size on Friday. Got them on a 4WheelPart sale day for $98 each and am liking the look. 35s on 16s would bring your total pricetag down even more...
Tire Results | Tread Depot

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
dang thing double posted...

so here's a picture of my new wheels and Cooper STs instead.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Should not be an issue, half an inch is not a big deal.

You can ask them but theres a downside to that, they might say no. Chances are they would not look at the spec from the tire or measure the wheel unless it visibly looked wrong after they mounted one.

source: I used to change tires at one of those chain shops.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should not be an issue, half an inch is not a big deal. You can ask them but theres a downside to that, they might say no. Chances are they would not look at the spec from the tire or measure the wheel unless it visibly looked wrong after they mounted one. source: I used to change tires at one of those chain shops.
Thanks, that's helpful inside knowledge. Hard to know if these guys are sticklers or not. Now my challenge: find a picture of the +10 offset 17x8 wheel mounted on a Jeep!!!!

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
DT mounted a set of tires with a similar requirement on my stock 7.5" rims but the manager did speak to me first to let me know of the official specs. Then we had a brief conversation because I needed to use spacers.

Stores have policies on this type of thing due to the liability and local laws.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
As someone posted, it depends on the shop. I had the local discount tire refuse to sell me 285-75/r16's for my dodge Dakota even though they were the ones to mount the previous 2 sets as well as a set of swampers on the same truck and a few sets of 33x12.50's on my previously owned Toyota quad cab.
Guy was a straight up dick! Said it was a new federal law to not mount larger than a stock size tire on a vehicle. Total BS. NTB down the street sold me the tires I wanted and when asked had no idea what the DT assclown was talking about.
After
Posting my experience on a dodge forum a DT rep contacted me to apologize and said there was no such law or policy. After 25 or so years of business I won't go back.
Sorry for rant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts