Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm thinking about swapping my 2011 JKU for an 2006 LJ 6-speed manual transmission very soon. The LJ is stock an has a front LP D30 and rear D44.

I'll eventually be throwing on the J-Spec 3.5 kit and 35" tires and probably re-gear to either 4.56 or 4.88 but I wanted to get some clarification on beefing my front axle...

I don't mean to beat a dead horse on here but I've read that I should swap out the LP D30 for an HP D30 because of its strength. I've also read that I should beef up the HP D30 with a locker and chromo shafts.

What is you $.02?
Recommendations?
Would I be fine with the stock LP D30?
Re-gear to 4.56 or 4.88? (I don't want it to feel like a turtle)
What else should I be considering?

P.S. I'll be doing more light off-roading (some heavy here and there)

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,393 Posts
Bump up the axle shafts to chrome moly, drop a locker into it, and you should be ok. The HP is nice, but not necessary. It will give a better drive line angle in the front, but if you build the LP the same way that you want to build the HP, along with the shafts, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree with what lindel said. For mostly light offroading as you described it, a D30 with upgrades should hold up just fine, it's more so the rear that you need to worry about but as you said LJ's have a D44 rear stock. Upgrade the D30 and have fun!

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
for a bone stock D30, why not swap in a HP D30 and put your money into that.

my logic was this: for an extra $80 the HPD30 cost at the junkyard, why not put the money into a HP instead of the LP....gears/chromos/locker/ball joints/unit bearings/etc. That's what I did...better pinion angle, keeps the driveshaft out of the rocks, and its a wee bit stronger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts