Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting my lift installed after saving for it most of last year. It seems like it's one expensive after another but I know that's the life of a Jeep Owner. Anyway, I'm excited to see my Jeep finished and was telling someone who is a little familiar with Jeeps about my setup and the Mopar Stage 3, 3'' lift I'm installing in my 2dr and the 35s im putting on in my JK and he said I'm gonna need to replace my drive shafts. Is there any reason my drive shafts need to be replaced with thus lift and 35s? . And if so how much time do I have with the stock drive shafts?

·
Registered
134 Posts
With the Mopar Stage 3 lift you will not need to replace your drive shafts. Mopar designed the kit to keep your drive shafts happy with the use of exhaust spacers and limiting straps.

This approach does limit flex. If you replaces your stock drive shafts, you could use longer limiting straps and improve your flex.

Cheers. :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happy Friday to you, Rey! . Thanks for the info I appreciate it. You are right the shop doing the install said the kit does come with exhaust Spacers and I should be fine with my stock drive shafts for a while. . I keep hearing so many different things. Someone I work with is now telling me I should get a high steering kit. I know people are trying to help but it seems like they don't have any idea what Is included with this mopar stage 3 kit. . Would there be any reason I should look into a high steer kit with this 3'' lift?

·
Registered
134 Posts
As I understand it, high steer kits are designed to fix problems with steering precision (sometimes referred to as body roll, bump steer, roll steer, or just plain loose or sloppy steering) normally associated with installing lift kits 3 inches and above.

I have about 15,000 miles on my Stage 3 lift and 35 inch Goodyear MTRs and I have not noticed any of the above problems. I have not felt the need for a high steer kit, a steering stablizer or new front track bar. I can drive my Jeep down the freeway at speed with one finger (not that I am recommending that people do so but you get the idea: no push, no pull, nothing). Of course that is when there is no wind. LOL.

I recommend installing the kit as is, out of the box and going from there. It was designed to be a turn key kit and, in my experience, performs as advertised. I don't recommend spending precious and limited mod money on parts that people say they needed unless it is the exact same set-up and even then I take such recommendations with a grain of salt.

I'll be purchasing a new front track bar soon but that is only to give me clearance for aftermarket diff covers. :iamhappy:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rey... Very informative information I really appreciate it. I agree that unless two people have exactly the same setup there's no way to know how a part will or won't perform. I wasn't aware you had the Stage 3 lift. That's cool considering you also have those sweet rugged Ridge XHD wheels with the red rim rock protectors I went with after seeing your pics on the black wheel thread! How much have you done off road with your JK and how impressed have you been with your stage 3 lift?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Any 3" lift on JK could someday need a front DS- doesn't matter which one. The angle the shaft winds up at (could be) bad- and that angle depends on your Jeep. Many folks have been fine- many have replaced. Do you need to run out and buy one? No. But the caveat is if you plan to wheel extensively- keep an eye on it for sure. The problem is the boot- the spacers do help. But at full flex/droop you're still pretty likely to hit the DS right at the flimsy boot- which can tear. If your Jeep never sees dirt you might never hit it.
We did add a track bar and Fox steering stabilizer at install- but the SS was only because we got a great deal and labor was free. (We did the lift). You should NOT need the stabilizer if everything else is correct. If you're really concerned ask you shop to fully flex your Jeep after install and check it. If your getting new tires watch for over inflation. The Fox shocks need to compress and flex a little to loosen up at first. The ride might be stiff to start. And if you get on bumpy dirt and you sound like a broken mattress (squeaking LOl)- don't worry. Congratulations you're doing something right! The noise would be the bump stops going to work. They'll stop after a bit- but I always kinda liked the noise. It meant I was off pavement and having fun.
You will be very happy with this lift on rocks. It performed flawlessly- which is more than I can say about my newbie driving at the time.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeepherz, thanks for the in depth reply it makes sense. Hopefully I won't have any driveshaft issues but even if I do down the line at least it buys me time to save up for them. Being that you have this lift and did the install yourself I have a question you can probably answer. I asked this is another thread but got no response.

Why is it the Stage 3 Mopar kit doesn't come with front upper control arms? Obviously there would be a cost for two more control arms but I can't see that being the reason why the kit includes 6..both upper and lower and front lowers. . I'm thinking maybe the front two control arms aren't as beneficial and the stock CA's work fine so the front uppers aren't needed?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The kit is trying to adjust the caster in the front. As it has been explained to me, when lifting a Jeep you need to rotate the axle down. Your choice is longer lowers or shorter uppers. The Stage 3's new fixed lowers are slightly longer and are rotating the axle for caster. One of the selling points of this kit is that you slap it on and the fixed arms have adjusted everything so you do not need an alignment like you would with adjustable arms.

If you wanted to add front upper arms, you would either need to set them to the exact same length as the stock arms or buy adjustable arms for both the front upper and lower.

Again, this is how it had been explained to me by much more knowledgeable folks than me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts