Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed the Banks Stinger system in my 2006 TJ and after road testing my Jeep its not as "throaty" as I'd like. Will the muffler get louder after a break in period?:cool:

·
Registered
184 Posts
hey steve im from ct too! know anywhere to go wheeling? an i also have the banks system on my 97, itll get louder as it breaks in and after a while you wont even notice the noise. The only problem i have with it is that i get up at 3:30 everyday so im sure the neighbors dont like me too much lol

·
Knows a couple things...
49,390 Posts
This is one reason I'd never ever buy an exhaust system online if I needed it to sound a certain way. If it doesn't, what are you going to do about it?

I always recommend having mufflers/exhaust systems put together locally by your neighborhood muffler shop. They can create any sound you want and the quality will be whatever you want it to be. And very likely cheaper than one of those you buy out of a catalog or online where you have no recourse if you don't like how it sounds.

If you buy it locally, they can work with you if it's not what you expected. I had my local shop redo my exhaust after installing a long-arm suspension which required it and it was way too loud afterward. They replaced the first muffler they installed with a quieter one at no extra charge and I was happy with the results.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry to jump in here but Im looking at getting the banks exhaust too and am wondering after the "break in" period how loud is it inside the jeep?

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's got a nice throaty sound, not so loud that you cant have a conversation, but you and the car next to you definetely know its there.JP magazine had a muffler shootout issue and banks scored very high in all catergories such as fitment, quality, sound,etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know you used to be able to go to jpmagazines site and they actually recorded each exhaust system on like a 10 mile drive, up and down hills, and on the highway. that way you can kind of get an idea.I think they also have "in cab" sound levels too.

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
This is one reason I'd never ever buy an exhaust system online if I needed it to sound a certain way. If it doesn't, what are you going to do about it?

I always recommend having mufflers/exhaust systems put together locally by your neighborhood muffler shop. They can create any sound you want and the quality will be whatever you want it to be. And very likely cheaper than one of those you buy out of a catalog or online where you have no recourse if you don't like how it sounds.

If you buy it locally, they can work with you if it's not what you expected. I had my local shop redo my exhaust after installing a long-arm suspension which required it and it was way too loud afterward. They replaced the first muffler they installed with a quieter one at no extra charge and I was happy with the results.
Always used a muffler shop for new exhaust. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts