Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search to no avail. Here's my dilemma. Had a '99 that I sold recently and bought an '03. I kept the safari top that I used with the '99. I was looking on Quadratec today for header channel (old one was the drill in type) and noticed that they list channels and tops for 97-02s and for '03-06s. What is the difference?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, and I thank you. But I'm really asking about the top itself. It sounds crazy to me, but I don't understand why they would list two different tops (97-02 and 03-06).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got off the phone with Quadratec and they claim the '03 roll bars are bigger, so the top from the '99 will not work. I'm sorry to be so hard-headed, but I still don't believe it. Can anyone here confirm that the roll bars from an '03 are bigger than that of a '99?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
The actual roll bar tubing diameter is the same on all yrs TJ, the only difference is the '03-06 have thicker roll bar padding along with different windshield mounting headers.

Even though I haven't experience your issue, I see no problems with the fitment besides it being tight to install due to the thicker roll bar padding. This can be somewhat resolved by installing in a warm garage or sunny warm day. (Lay the top out in a hot area for a couple of hrs before install)

Most of the issues will be getting the sides to clip on the door surrounds or the front lip staying in the header but the rest of the install will be a breeze.

I ended up using strong epoxy and glued the front lip into the windshield channel which made install/removal 10x easier/faster.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^Thanks. I will give it a try before I order a new one. You say you glued the front lip of your top to your header channel? So you just leave the two pieces glued when you take it off for colder weather?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Just give it a try. I use the one from my old 95 YJ on my 01 TJ, and it works fine.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The header clamps are different from 03 - 06, they are narrower. If you still have the header trim on, the old clamps will be a tight fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts