Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put larger tires on my 2015 Sahara Unlimited. Unfortunately, they only cam in Load Range E. Now I feel every bump. Will new shocks help? If so, does anyone have good recommendations? I have a Teraflex 1 inch spacer lift.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I just put larger tires on my 2015 Sahara Unlimited. Unfortunately, they only cam in Load Range E. Now I feel every bump. Will new shocks help? If so, does anyone have good recommendations? I have a Teraflex 1 inch spacer lift.
I run my E's at 28 psi, check your tire pressures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have to check. I've heard people say to let some pressure out but I am afraid that the tires will wear unevenly if I do.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Have to check. I've heard people say to let some pressure out but I am afraid that the tires will wear unevenly if I do.
The pressure on the sidewall is the max tire pressure. For a load E rated tire, that would be the max for carrying considerable weight.

You'll be fine dropping to 30 psi or even a bit lower.

I'm running 32 psi in my E rated Cooper ST Maxx tires, and they feel good. I'm due for my first rotation, and may drop them to 30 psi just to see if the ride gets better.

If you're running 35+ psi, the ride is going to be very harsh.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
If you are worried about tire wear, too much pressure will also wear them unevenly. The added pressure will balloon the tire more and cause the center to wear quicker than the outside. Finding the proper pressure is important. What most are saying about pressure is accurate ~30 depending on your tire and vehicle weight should get you pretty close and smooth things out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I run 35" Duratrac's on my rig. The difference between 35psi and 30psi is night and day.

When I first got the tires delivered from TireRack, they had them at 40psi. The ride was insanely harsh, very jarring over bumps to the point where I would brace myself for a manhole cover that was even slightly lower than the road.

Don't resist allllll the people on here who have gone through what you have, check your pressure and drop it to the low 30's and then play around with it until youre comfortable. Trust everyone here, they only want to help.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Google tire chalk test. Basically you put chalk on the tires and let air out until you get the best contact patch. The chalk let's you see where the tire is contacting. And folks are right - it's going to most likely be somewhere high 20s- low 30s on a four door. It will make a huge difference if you are overinflated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for responding. i have 275/70 18 KO2s and checked the pressure today. It was at 67psi. What should I drop that down to? Not 32?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks everyone for responding. i have 275/70 18 KO2s and checked the pressure today. It was at 67psi. What should I drop that down to? Not 32?
32 might be the number, someone above mentioned the "chalk test" you could try that and see what happens. Id be around 30 - 32 but everyone is different.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Holy carp! 67???? Teeth chatter to the nth degree. Dealer once put mine at 40 and I pulled over on the way home to airdown lol.

Come down around 30ish. Whether you hit 32 or 29 or anything close for now until you can do chalk test, go with it.. Anything will be a vast improvement in the way your Jeep rides.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts

OUCH!!!

32 would be a really good starting point. I run my 295/70-17 at 28psi...

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
I run my 35 E's at 26-28 cold. They ramp up to 30-32 at normal operating temp. I check them every few months and at oil changes with a tread depth gauge. So far so good. I'll adjust if they are not wearing even.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone for the help. I dropped the pressure to 32 and it feels so much better. Thanks again. On the bad side, taking the pressure down also lowered the jeep about a half inch. ha ha now I need more lift.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts