Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
It goes up to 94". Depends how tall your jeep is. Only need 5" max of lift to clear and slide off. COG is far enough back on the HT that the reach should be good as well.
Might just work.

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
If you have a garage or carport you should be able to find a used topper lift on craigslist for a hundred bucks or so.

I bought a light duty block and tackle at Murdocks for $12.00 and rigged it up with 4 hooks and 4 pulleys in my garage. Total cost = about $38.00. Just look at a pic of the topper lifter for how to set it up. I have a roof rack, so that is how I lift the topper with my setup.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I think the problem isn't the height, but the boom length - you'll need to extend it quite a bit to get to a central point on the hard top for balance... better off rigging an overhead pully system, IMHO.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, I don't have a garage or useable ceiling/floor joist to attach to. My concern with the engine hoist is if I have to angle it up to clear the height I will lose the depth that is needed to get to the middle of the hardtop. I may have to make something out of lumber that I can put a pulley on. If it was just my jeep I would just continue to muscle it on and off, but my wife FINALLY conceded and bought a 2013 for herself. So now we have 2. Yay me!!! Sorry for the short story.

·
Registered
459 Posts
How old are you and how long have you been married?

If you are old enough and have been married long enough ...... muscle yours off and tell her to muscle her own off herself!

If you are young and not married long, ignore my advice unless you know a good Divorce attorney !!!!

Now on a more serious note .....

I'm sort of in the same boat as you, probably worse.

My driveway is gravel, not paved.

I'll probably muscle my hard top off and leave it off for the summer.

I might just spring for a soft top ..... or cover with a huge tarp as needed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well sparky, you tell your wife to muscle her own top off, and then get back to me and let me know how you make out. LOL. we just got back from picking up her 2013, it is very different from my 95. Still a jeep, but a lot more bells and whistles. I saw some designs of moveable lifts that can be made to take the tops off. I will probably go that route.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
How old are you and how long have you been married? If you are old enough and have been married long enough ...... muscle yours off and tell her to muscle her own off herself! If you are young and not married long, ignore my advice unless you know a good Divorce attorney !!!! Now on a more serious note ..... I'm sort of in the same boat as you, probably worse. My driveway is gravel, not paved. I'll probably muscle my hard top off and leave it off for the summer. I might just spring for a soft top ..... or cover with a huge tarp as needed.
I am in the exact same boat, no garage and gravel driveway, I sold my soft top with frame and half doors and bought a softopper frameless top for summer. Take Windows out and instantly have a bikini top. Might be a good option for you as well. With our weather patterns we don't go more than a few days without rain so removing frames and swapping doors and all that is a pita. All the crap would just lay in my grass until it went back on, needless to say my daughter was mowing one day and took out one of the back Windows!!! So yea that doesn't work well lmao!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well sparky, you tell your wife to muscle her own top off, and then get back to me and let me know how you make out. LOL..
60 years old .... married over 30 years ..... been there, done that and we are still together.

I spent a lifetime in the US Army and my wife spent a lot of time on her own so she learned to do things for herself.

First time I took her camping, she asked if I was going to put up the tent. I told her if she wanted to sleep in a tent, she needs to put it up herself. She just laughed and put up the tent. She told me I had to sleep outside, I just reminded her that if I wanted to sleep in a tent I would have put it up myself !

She once said she wanted the living room painted ..... I told her she could paint it any color she wanted .... and she did.

She can handle things on her own for the most part.

I know I am a lucky man to have a wife such as her .... and I let her know it everyday.

When she said she wanted to have a baby I figured I better help out with that task! :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
They make a hoist like the one you referenced but it is taller and longer. It goes under the jeep and lifts the top right off.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts