Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't seem to find via searches, just a bunch of, hey, i'll install and post results later, with no followup :(

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Providing a more direct flow of fresh air to your motor can only help it, I wouldn't go into significant horsepower/torque gains or anything, but it will help.

·
Registered
89 Posts
No sure how it could hurt a n/a motor or a blown/turbo motor. The engine will only take in what air it can use. As long as there is not some crazy turbulence being created in the intake then should be no negative effect. Plus colder air is denser air which is more oxygen molecules for a given volume of air compared to the same volume of hot air. Just my thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
390 Posts
No sure how it could hurt a n/a motor or a blown/turbo motor. The engine will only take in what air it can use. As long as there is not some crazy turbulence being created in the intake then should be no negative effect. Plus colder air is denser air which is more oxygen molecules for a given volume of air compared to the same volume of hot air. Just my thoughts on the matter.
I'm guessing the tube work simply isn't large enough to give a forced induction the neccessary volume.

Regarding the OP's post. I built a 4" diameter tubing snorkel for my V8 TJ. I only intend to use it for 1 trip, which will have deeeeeeeep water.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm guessing the tube work simply isn't large enough to give a forced induction the neccessary volume.
Thanks, I didn't really think about the tube being a restriction in a forced induction engine. I can see how that would be a problem. :D

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
It definitely hurts a blown motor, Ripp has the dyno results to prove it. THIRTY horsepower lost through the snorkel. Jeep JK RIPP Supercharger SNORKEL TEST 2 - YouTube
It takes more effort to pull air in through a longer pipe. Try it yourself. Get a few straws, and stuff them inside each other, end to end. Now pull air through the full length. Then take the straws apart, and pull air through one. Feel the difference? It's a bit simplistic, but it proves the point. Add in the extra bends in a snorkel system, and the point becomes clearer. An engine is nothing but an air pump, so adding length on either end increases the effort to inhale or exhale. You work harder to pull in the same air, so does the engine. A very well designed snorkel system will keep any losses to a minimum, but many will cost you horsepower.
To a certain extent, increasing intake manifold runner length can improve torque, shortening them can improve horsepower. Both at the sacrifice of the other.

·
Registered
390 Posts
That's a poor example.
There's no way to explain the loss due to the snorkel, since the air filter is also removed. Much of the horsepower loss could be attributed to the restriction of the air filter, which is also no longer connected.
Additionally, since the snorkel breaths cold air, and the engine breathes warm (or hot) air, it's not accurate to do the test with the hood open and a giant fan blowing cold air into the engine bay. In real world tests, the non-snorkel test would have a much higher ambient temp, which would have an effect. How much? Who knows.

·
3,952 Posts
That's a poor example.
There's no way to explain the loss due to the snorkel, since the air filter is also removed. Much of the horsepower loss could be attributed to the restriction of the air filter, which is also no longer connected.
Additionally, since the snorkel breaths cold air, and the engine breathes warm (or hot) air, it's not accurate to do the test with the hood open and a giant fan blowing cold air into the engine bay. In real world tests, the non-snorkel test would have a much higher ambient temp, which would have an effect. How much? Who knows.
Not so. You're not losing anywhere near 30hp through a stock airbox or CAI. Some short ram intakes can actually increase power, particularly N/A. Most N/A fuel injected engines will lose power with no air intake.

The cooler air being pulled in from the top of a snorkel still has to pass through several feet of tubing, with the last foot or so being heated by underhood temps. You ever feel the bottom of your intake tube after your Jeep has been out running around? Any ram effect is also negated by the distance the air must travel, and the bends in the tubing it must follow. In fact, I bet that the ambient air temperature at the blower inlet is higher or the same than at the top of the snorkel. The fan is pushing hot air through the radiator and intercooler, right into the engine bay. Any cold air pulled in at the snorkel is still a wash simply because of the distance it has to travel. Cool air needs to be taken in quickly to make a difference in this scenario.

I'd wager any horsepower lost through the stock airbox, or the intake that comes with the Ripp kit, PLUS any power lost through hotter intake temperatures will still not add up to half of the 30hp the snorkel is robbing. This still doesn't address the added effort to pull that air through the length of the snorkel. I see companies claim their snorkels "Provide cooler air and increased airflow". Where's the dyno proof? Where's the data logs? They count on people just buying their claims, pun intended.

This is not a carbureted engine that instantly benefits from running in cold air, it's an fuel injected engine that can compensate for different air charge temperatures. Cooler air can and will make power in our case, but until I see a chart comparing intake air temps at the throttle body between the stock box and any snorkel, I'm standing by my statements. Even should the snorkel prove lower temps, the horsepower difference would be minimal at best. I don't care what someone's butt dyno thinks, I don't care that throttle response feels better (more likely just different), science is science. I need to see hard data to the contrary before I'm changing my mind. Contact Ripp for their take on the matter, I think most of us would agree here that they're one of the more reputable shops out there.

You may not lose power with a snorkel, but it's not making any either.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was just thinking at 55 mph, ram effect would pass a lot of cool air thru snorkel.

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
No. In fact, it's been proven by Ripp to rob horsepower on supercharged Jeeps. If it hurts a blown Jeep, it's not going to help an N/A one.
Hmm.... Just learned something new. Thanks for the clarification.
Though I wasn't thinking of the fact that the Jeep could be supercharged. Now that sounds interesting, I need to do some homework on these newer Jeeps.

·
3,952 Posts
Hmm.... Just learned something new. Thanks for the clarification.
Though I wasn't thinking of the fact that the Jeep could be supercharged. Now that sounds interesting, I need to do some homework on these newer Jeeps.
If I had the coin, mine would be blown already. Ripp makes a quality kit. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts