Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do you have any electrical power when it will not turn over? Stick or auto? Have you whacked the started with small hammer?

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
I'm having a similar problem...if it's like mine where you can hear a whirring sound but the engine isn't cranking, it's the solenoid on your starter going bad. You'll need a new/rebuilt starter. If you turn the key and NOTHING...could be a bad battery connection (check terminals and make sure connections are clean and tight) amongst other things.

New starters run approx $200 from what I'm seeing...and my buddy quoted me $60 to install it if I choose not to install it myself.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Think btoth is going right way. I ran into similar issue about 3 years ago. Had been in some "high water" and about 2-3 days later- sometimes, when I hit the key, fire right off, some days nothing. It was also very cold around 4 or 5 degrees. When I was in the water was about 65-70 degrees. Indiana has huge temp swings from fall to spring. May be as much as 30-40 degrees colder or warmer one day to next.

I did not have an attached garage at that time so borrowed a heater and tried to let everything warm up and dry out as best as possible.

I never did replace anything but did check all the wiring around starter for loose connections since it would have been in the "high water". I believe the water /loose connection at starter was the cause and made worse by the water.

·
Registered
191 Posts
When it won't start, check to see if your headlights come on. If the headlights don't come on, dirty battery terminals would be the first thing to check. If the headlights do come on, sounds like starter solenoid. I had to replace my starter once, easiest starter I've ever had to do.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine does this occasionally but does start. My Jeep was sitting for two years under a carport with the back and sides open so there were some electrical issues with the factory radio and blinker switch. I replaced the radio and the blinker switch worked out. I believe my problem is either the ignition switch or the clutch safety switch.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Loose battery terminal or ground if no electrical power at all. Does the dome light come on when you get in?
1. Lights but starter does nothing, check:
- starter wiring for loose connection
- starter relay
- park/nuetral/cluth disconnect.
2. Starter whirls but no crank is bad solenoid.

When electrical components go bad, they generally go bad. So intermitent problems are ground or loose wire related.

D51

·
Registered
297 Posts
When it won't start, check to see if your headlights come on. If the headlights don't come on, dirty battery terminals would be the first thing to check. If the headlights do come on, sounds like starter solenoid. I had to replace my starter once, easiest starter I've ever had to do.
x2

Starter should take all of about 10 minutes to install. Think theres a total of 3 or 4 bolts and thats it. One thing though, disconnect the battery before messing with the starter since theres a good bit of juice going to it. Just ask the socket that I burnt a hole in cuz I forgot to disconnect the battery first. :eek: Zapped it pretty good!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bjtoth said:
Do you have any electrical power when it will not turn over? Stick or auto? Have you whacked the started with small hammer?
It's a stick and all lights and everything works just won't start

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
I would bet money it's nothing more serious than loose or corroded battery connectors. Remove both connectors, wire brush them until they are bright and shiney and then securely reconnect them and see if that doesn't cure the problem. No, you can't just look at the connectors and see if they look bad, they will often look fine but still be loose or corroded enough to cause this problem.

Also, when you tighten the connectors back down onto the battery post, check to see if the bolt is able to get them tight enough. If the bolt can't get the connectors good and tight, which happens when the connectors get worn, there is a way to fix that so le us or me know and I'll tell you how to fix it for free.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So how this all started last week some time I stopes at the gas station and when I came out it wouldn't start for like 5 minutes and then all a sudden it did. Did have another problem until yesterday after work and at work I just push started it. Went to the bank right after shut if off then it wouldn't start again. Then after a bit it just started. After that it was fine I made like 3 different stops and it started like a champ. Went home it sat for like 3 hours and couldn't get it to start back up

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
Read post #11. You're getting advice but not acting like you're reading it. :)
I'm listening to everything that everyone is say and thank u fore the help but I'm not at home to try it and I'm a lil drunk still haha. I was trying to but a lil more info out there just so everyone could know exacly what it's doing. Sorry if I came across as if ignoring u

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
There's also a problem with what you mean by "won't turn over."

Does that mean the starter spins the engine OK, but the engine doesn't start?
Or it makes clicking noises but the engine doesn't spin?
Or nothing happens?

Or, LOL, driving it you cannot get it to roll upside down all the way?

If you described the problem better you would not get suggestions all over - like fuel pump, starter, solenoid, cables etc. You could even get real help.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rrich said:
There's also a problem with what you mean by "won't turn over."

Does that mean the starter spins the engine OK, but the engine doesn't start?
Or it makes clicking noises but the engine doesn't spin?
Or nothing happens?

Or, LOL, driving it you cannot get it to roll upside down all the way?

If you described the problem better you would not get suggestions all over - like fuel pump, starter, solenoid, cables etc. You could even get real help.
Nothing happens but every comes on just like u started it pretty much it doesn't even try to start

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well thanks everybody for the help. Got it running I cleaned off the battery and tapped the starter a couple times and it started up. Thanks again for the help

1 - 18 of 18 Posts