Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's early in the game but I will be in the market for a new Wrangler next year. The scuttlebutt is that the solid axle design probably will survive the 2016 model year but come 2017 we might see the first of the IFS/Unitbody Wranglers. This presents a conundrum for me.... Go with the tried and true and get a 2016 assuming it has solid axle or throw caution to the wind and wait for the 2017 IFS, heavy on the aluminum Wranglers and hope that they are well-received and my $$ investment doesn't go down the drain.

So my question is, will the 2016 still have a solid axle? (yes, maybe?) And can we expect the 2017 to have the IFS or will the company get the jitters and forego the IFS altogether. I think the latter is unlikely given that current government requirements mandate improved gas mileage. Thanks.:)

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts

Both the MY2016 and MY2017 will still be JK's (and thus solid axles).

The new design will be a MY2018 that comes out late 2Q 2017 (as per Jeep CEO Michael Manley at the annual Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) Investors Day meeting in May 2014).

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I know it's early in the game but I will be in the market for a new Wrangler next year. The scuttlebutt is that the solid axle design probably will survive the 2016 model year but come 2017 we might see the first of the IFS/Unitbody Wranglers. This presents a conundrum for me.... Go with the tried and true and get a 2016 assuming it has solid axle or throw caution to the wind and wait for the 2017 IFS, heavy on the aluminum Wranglers and hope that they are well-received and my $$ investment doesn't go down the drain. So my question is, will the 2016 still have a solid axle? (yes, maybe?) And can we expect the 2017 to have the IFS or will the company get the jitters and forego the IFS altogether. I think the latter is unlikely given that current government requirements mandate improved gas mileage. Thanks.:)
Smitty, where in VA are you?

·
Commercial Member
125 Posts
I wouldn't buy a first generation re-design of any model...
They need a year or two to get the bugs worked out after any major re-design.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smitty, where in VA are you?
I am in Northern VA, Fairfax County.

Well, I sure as heck can't wait until late 2017 to order a2018 and your right about never jumping into a first year model so it looks like a 2016 for me. At 64 I am not getting any younger.

So then my question is, the additional aluminum they intend to install in the 2016s and 2017s....is that something to be overly concerned about, lighter means better mileage not that I am worried about it but I'll take it. :) Its all about performance. What's the consensus about the use of extensive aluminum in the 2016s and 2017s? It also seems to from what I have read that we are going to have shorter model years in 2016 and 2017. I'd like to order my new 2016 Wrangler in the Fall of '15. Thanks.

Sounds like the extensive use of aluminum at least for the near future is going to be an expensive undertaking, e.g., the cost of material and the Toledo factory is not equipped for the change over. Any idea of how much of an increase in MPG they are predicting with the use of extensive aluminum?

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Aluminum is a good thing if they can avoid reaction between different metals.

Thanks to our fine leadership on Pennsylvania Av the average corporate CAFE ratings are going from 25.3 to 34.1MPG in 2016. That's roughly a 36% increase. Given that Chrysler sells ~2M vehicles a year and Wrangler sales ~200K that means that Wranglers are account for about 10% of Chrysler vehicles sold annually and growing. It's unlikely Wrangler fuel economy will increase by 36% given its constraints but it better be above 20% for the other vehicles to make up for it. So, IMHO we should be able to count on at least 3-4 MPG increase. That may not not seem like much but it's going to take those good 'ol boys in Jeep Engineering some long hours and battle with Marketing to figure it out.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
Both the MY2016 and MY2017 will still be JK's (and thus solid axles).

The new design will be a MY2018 that comes out late 2Q 2017 (as per Jeep CEO Michael Manley at the annual Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) Investors Day meeting in May 2014).
+1 :thumb:

No need to worry about the solid axle not still being on Wrangler's this fall (2016 MY).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts