Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forums today and have a question (I did post in the newbie section first).

I have a 98 wrangler with a bad ax15 tranny. I found a good used tranny from a 93 grand cherokee (only year for stick cherokee). My question is will this tranny go in my 98 even though the way the clutch operates is different. My jeep uses a slave cylinder where the 93 cherokee uses a old style arm mechanism. I know the bellhousings are different because of this but are the basic tranny "bodies" interchangeable. Not sure if the input shaft would be different between the 2 trannies. Thanks for the help.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
The input spline count is where I'd be wary. If the JGC had the 4.0L engine which was common, it probably has the same spline count. You should be able to just swap transmissions on your bell housing, can't imagine anything else being different.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jerry, From the info on the NOVAK site, It looks like the splines are the same, just the way clutch operates is different. I have to use my old bellhousing anyway because of this but I think its the same otherwise. The JGC did have the 4.0.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts